Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2007 2:59:38 PM EDT
Which are better mags for feeding and reliability?

costs at 44mag are
Magpul PMAG Gen3 $14.95
30rd USGI NHMTG $12.99
other brand quality mag reccomendations are invited
thanks,
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
While I have several PMAGS, I have yet to use them because I am in Japan right now.  I would not hesitate on buying the PMAG, them seem to have good reviews, and if it doesn't function for you, MAGPUL will take care of you.

I have about 75 mags from Okay Industries and I have never had a malfunction with any of them.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
All I know is that several billion mags have been used by US forces since the M16 came about. They used pretty much the same design. Cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
D&H no question.  I'm still waiting to purchase some PMAGS for testing but D&H are the standard as far as I'm concerned.

It's the TEFLON coating that is the selling point for me.
I own C-Products SS marlube mags and love them to death but marlube coating is bullshit.  Same with whatever coating NHMTG has, damn stuff looks like it'll wear right off with the warm breeze.

Again I own plenty of marlube coated mags so don't get all crazy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 3rd gen PMags

about 400 rds through them so far and I love them. 0 malfs with the PMags
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think once the PMAGS are "bug free" they will be just as good if not better than alluminum USGI's I plan on getting about 20+ in the next couple of weeks I was going to hold off till they got them problem free but with their great customer service I plan on going ahead and getting them now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Plastic versus aluminum.

This seems to be a "no-brainer" if we were talking about upper receivers, lower receivers, bipod-adapters, handguards, or trigger guards.

Why is it so much different when discussing magazines?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All I know is that several billion mags have been used by US forces since the M16 came about. They used pretty much the same design. Cant go wrong.

I've wondered the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plastic versus aluminum.

This seems to be a "no-brainer" if we were talking about upper receivers, lower receivers, bipod-adapters, handguards, or trigger guards.

Aluminum is boring, not cool, and you can't drive over it
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take the NHTMG mags only because most of them will drop free from my LMT, Eagle Arms and Olympic Arms lowers and my 07/07 PMAGs will not.

I will continue to use PMAGs in my other weapons though for range use only due to their low cost. (less than $12.00 from Brownells)
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I suspect that the P-mag will be quite a bit more reliable then a regular USGI mag, statistically.  Magpul developed a continuous curve inside the mag.  That is the problem with the USGI (if you want to call it a problem) partially straight, partially curved.

I think it holds a lot of promise
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never had an issue with either brand. I have had issues with most of the other brands though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll take the NHTMG mags only because most of them will drop free from my LMT, Eagle Arms and Olympic Arms lowers and my 07/07 PMAGs will not.

Just tested the 7/07 replacements I got today in my LMT and not only do they not drop free, they're actually kind of a bitch to get into/out of the lower, so I guess I'll be sticking with NHMTGs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
+ 1 on NHMTG and OKAY mags....USGI all the way!

M2C
223SAINT
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just tested the 7/07 replacements I got today in my LMT and not only do they not drop free, they're actually kind of a bitch to get into/out of the lower, so I guess I'll be sticking with NHMTGs.

It must be your lower, can't be the mag... your lower is out of spec... or maybe it's that the mags will shrink in 14 days.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Great.  I have an LMT rifle and just ordered 4 Pmags ... I hope they drop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Great.  I have an LMT rifle and just ordered 4 Pmags ... I hope they drop.

can't speak for the LMT but my PMags drop free on my RRA, BM and Colt just fine
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

It must be your lower, can't be the mag... your lower is out of spec... or maybe it's that the mags will shrink in 14 days.

h,
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Plastic versus aluminum.

So says the guy with the username of glock24

Nick
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
PMAGs are the smoothest feeding I have seen.
they aren't working in LMT or S&W it is not the PMAGs fault.

I go with a combination of them and D&H
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So says the guy with the username of glock24

Nick

At least Glock mags have an inner steel liner . .  .
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
PMAGs are the smoothest feeding I have seen.
they aren't working in LMT or S&W it is not the PMAGs fault.

I go with a combination of them and D&H

Hmm, so basically of the more than 50 NHMTG/GI thirties and probably 10 or so Colt twenties that I've used in my mil-spec LMT lower, with no variations between them and flawless operation, it's the lower's fault when the PMAG seems to stick/not drop free?

Um, ok.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
since  those 2 manufacturers have the same consistent thing going on uh yeah.
they are great manufacturers but not made by god. a few thousandths obviuosly make a difference.

so that does not make them junk or substandard because they are not perfect in your AR.
definately in the minority.
that is what the statement is based off of
one maker has a lower magwell causing the mag to not lock in
the other maker makes thier mag well tighter
that is the issue
they work for everyone else.
and since mc30707 asked about feeding and reliability, PMAGs do feed better and work better.

ask KevinB he said he put his aluminum ones away and uses these only.
if he is contractin in iraq and trusting them then I think his experience means something.
look up his comments and pics about just this situation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
PMAGs do feed better and work better.

Would that be gen I, gen II, or gen III... that feeds and works better than USGI?  or maybe gen IV?  Or maybe gen V?  Or gen?  

It seems everytime I think about ordering a Pmag they are in the midst of making changes to the design.  So to me gen III is still beta.  In a few years, after the design has stabalized, and when there's some real data about their long performance, then I'll be more interested.  For now it's a new product with virtually zero history (and what little history it has doesn't inspire confidence).

I hope they work out all the kinks soon.  I hope they win a huge government contract.  I hope Pmags actually do become a low cost alternative to USGI.  At this point, doesn't seem like they are any of those things.  So I'll stick with USGI.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would that be gen I, gen II, or gen III... that feeds and works better than USGI?  or maybe gen IV?  Or maybe gen V?  Or gen?  

I had nine black gen I's, they functioned 100% out of my three rifles (RR, BM, POF).

When they came out with the gen II's I was hesitent to send mine in, afterall, they worked fine. But what the heck, I sent them in and got the new mags, guess what? 100% in my three rifles.

By the time the gen III's body swap came along I had a LOT of black ones and 18 OD & FDE mags. Again, I was happy with the gen II's but this upgrade was even easier. All my blacks are now gen III and they still function 100%. I expect my OD and FDE bodies shortly, and I expect that they will work fine also.

I guess my answer to your question would be any generation of P-mag is smoother than a USGI. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the P-mag ismore reliable, but load both, a USGI and a P-mag, and then unload them by thumbing the rounds out. The P-mags unload smooth as silk, the USGI's drag and scar the ammo as it feeds out. The P-mag may not work better, but it does work smoother.

Just my take on things.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had nine black gen I's, they functioned 100% out of my three rifles (RR, BM, POF).

When they came out with the gen II's I was hesitent to send mine in, afterall, they worked fine. But what the heck, I sent them in and got the new mags, guess what? 100% in my three rifles.

By the time the gen III's body swap came along I had a LOT of black ones and 18 OD & FDE mags. Again, I was happy with the gen II's but this upgrade was even easier. All my blacks are now gen III and they still function 100%. I expect my OD and FDE bodies shortly, and I expect that they will work fine also.

I guess my answer to your question would be any generation of P-mag is smoother than a USGI. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the P-mag ismore reliable, but load both, a USGI and a P-mag, and then unload them by thumbing the rounds out. The P-mags unload smooth as silk, the USGI's drag and scar the ammo as it feeds out. The P-mag may not work better, but it does work smoother.

Just my take on things.  

+1

Got my mags - all seat and drop free from LMT lower :)

If you haven't handled one of these mags they feel great.  I honestly think they feel a lot sturdier than alum mags.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
That's because they ARE alot sturdier and smoother than traditional Al mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#27]
D&H Hands Down.

This design is decades old, tried and proven.

PMAG'S are still in beta testing the good ole Magpul way. Put it out to the filed, learn what happens, and replace as necessary,

Not a bad marketing tactic, but kind of a hassle doing their QC work for them.

Tack

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#28]
How do these compare to the D&H?  

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH30
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought my first p-mag the other day and took it out this past saturday. It dropped free in both of my DPMS lowers and my Ameetec lower. it feed Wolf with no issues.

I'll buy a few more and put them in the rotation with the rest of the multi brand mags I have
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Which is better?  Lets wait 40 years to see the Pmag track record match the USGI.  Even the Orlites and Thermolds made it a few years before being yanked by Israel and Canada.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Alum USGI mags have been around for ages and work in pretty much every mag well out there...  Can't quite say that for PMAG at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Plastic versus aluminum.

Because the plastic is tougher than aluminum in this case.

Try running over a USGI mag with a truck and then shooting it.

It's done on occaision with Pmags, lemme know if you wanna see video

BTW, PMAGS FTW!

I'd love to sit here and tell you how great they are.  But they beat my USGI mags in EVERY WAY.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Which is better?  Lets wait 40 years to see the Pmag track record match the USGI.  Even the Orlites and Thermolds made it a few years before being yanked by Israel and Canada.

+1

For now, I'll take my Pmag to the range, but not into the hills...it has a helluva long way to go before it proves itself for longevity/durability, not just it's sweet "smoothness" - after all  this isn't bourbon we're talking about.

I'd love to sit here and tell you how great they are.  But they beat my USGI mags in EVERY WAY.

Uh-huh...

Because the plastic is tougher than aluminum in this case.

Ever heard of plastic breaking or cracking?
I have some AK mags made of polymer that I could show you - not US aftermarket-made, but com-bloc (the tough stuff).

Try running over a USGI mag with a truck and then shooting it

In that case then all current AR mags - including Pmags - are flawed until there is a mag invented that could withstand the weight of a train running over it. Hmmm...I wonder if even the $50 H&K supermag can handle that...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I've dropped AL mags on the ground and had em bend.

I've stepped on them after dropping in drills.  Crushed em.  

I have USGI mags that are not 100% reliable.

My pmags are 100% reliable.

So before you know what I do and my experiences, you might not wanna open your mouth.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
The whole return/ exchange thing kinda warded me away from PMAGS.  I had some and exchanged them for newer ones.  I sold them off to buy USGI mags as I know those work.  I like the PMAGS but I am not so sure they got all the bugs worked out of em yet.........  FYI, I do have alot of Magpul products on my AR carbine and have been happy with all thus far.....  At this time, I don't feel "comfortable" buying up PMAGS to replace all the USGI type mags I have (which is what I wanted to do until I heard of the problems and the exchange program)....  Hopefully it works out soon as I do like the PMAG concept/ idea......
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top