Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2007 2:57:16 PM EDT
Are the HK mags as good as any made?

Assuming price was not a factor at all, would HK mags be a first choice, or is there any better available?

Anyone know what metal the mag body is made of?
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are the HK mags as good as any made?

Assuming price was not a factor at all, would HK mags be a first choice, or is there any better available?

Anyone know what metal the mag body is made of?

They are supposed to be the most reliable magazine available. I would venture a guess that 9 out of 10 people would buy them over anythig else, if price was not a factor.

I believe they are made out of Stainless Steel, please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
I believe they are made out of Stainless Steel, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have ten of them.  They are made from carbon steel.  They run 100% for me, but so do USGI mags with Magpul Gen II followers for less that 1/4 the price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess the next question based on the number of responses would be, are they not very popular, and therefore somewhat of an unknown, due to the price?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess the next question based on the number of responses would be, are they not very popular, and therefore somewhat of an unknown, due to the price?

When you can get 4 mil-spec, teflon magazines (that work just as well) for the price of 1 H&K magazine... why buy the H&K?

If they were lower in price, they would be more popular.  But since we're talking H&K... we all know that low prices won't happen.

I think they appeal to folks who like the "cool" factor of H&K.

Not even I buy HK mags...lol
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like my HK mags.  They are very smooth when loading.  They are heavier and more expensive.  I would switch to them 100% if they weren't so expensive.

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I think that if they were even 1/2 of what they are now, they would be mildly popular....

Theres no way that I'd ever pay more than $20-25 for one...
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I really like my HK mags.  They are very smooth when loading.  They are heavier and more expensive.  I would switch to them 100% if they weren't so expensive.

Spooky

+1
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You get what you pay for.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I have four HK magazines. They seem to be extremely well built, very smooth, and have been totally reliable.

That said, any of my decent USGI mag with anti-tilt followers for less than half the price of the HK magazines have also been totally reliable, too. I picked up nicely finished SA80 magazines on the cheap that sucked so bad you could even load them without the magazine jamming. A Magpul anti-tilt follower and they are 100% reliable steel magazines, now.

I like the HK magazines - their build quality is top notch. Consider them "fancy" - but I do not feel in my experience that they are necessary.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought one to test out, at first it failed to feed the next round.  THis continued to happen for the first thirty rounds after that it was flawless.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you can get 4 mil-spec, teflon magazines (that work just as well) for the price of 1 H&K magazine... why buy the H&K?

If they were lower in price, they would be more popular.  But since we're talking H&K... we all know that low prices won't happen.

I think they appeal to folks who like the "cool" factor of H&K.

The "free" factor appeals to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
"That's a pretty fucking good milkshake. I don't know if it's worth five dollars but it's pretty fucking good."

A forty dollar mag is like the five dollar Pulp Fiction milkshake.  I bought two of 'em to try them out.  Very nice.  Heavy.   Too expensive.  Even if price didn't matter, I believe aluminum is the better material to slide and rub into the receiver.

OK, been there done that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#14]
2 heavy. 2 expensive.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
When they are on sale for around $34 they are not a bad deal. I've never had to send one back for not dropping free from a magwell or failures to feed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Be careful with HK mags, there are a lot currently "On Sale" that were originally built for the SA-80. These are not as reliable as the newest version.

One other thing about stainless magazines: they tend to dent more easily than aluminum mags, and we all know what happens once a magazine is dented. The steel mags are less "bouncy" than aluminum.

As so many others have said, the cost benefit of the mag is not where I would like to see it.

Bottom line: good aluminum body mags can be readily made into reliable feeders. The HK mags are reliable, but potentially easily made unusable. Magazines are disposable items, take care of them and they will take care of you through their lifespan, when they don't, buy more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Be careful with HK mags, there are a lot currently "On Sale" that were originally built for the SA-80. These are not as reliable as the newest version.

One other thing about stainless magazines: they tend to dent more easily than aluminum mags, and we all know what happens once a magazine is dented. The steel mags are less "bouncy" than aluminum.

As so many others have said, the cost benefit of the mag is not where I would like to see it.

Bottom line: good aluminum body mags can be readily made into reliable feeders. The HK mags are reliable, but potentially easily made unusable. Magazines are disposable items, take care of them and they will take care of you through their lifespan, when they don't, buy more.

There is no way that steel will dent easier than aluminum.  Aluminum is brittle metal... it'll break a lot easier than steel.

Try telling someone with a pair of Chip McCormick magazines or Steyr AUG magazines that they're disposable.  Short answer, they're not disposable... they're part of the weapon.

Oh, and I don't give a shit about how "bouncy" a magazine is... it's not a Superball.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top