Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2006 12:45:55 AM EDT
What part of Magpul Ranger plates makes the magazine difficult to use at full capacity?

Is it the locking plate?  

Do the L plates and Ranger plates use the same locking plate?

I am asking because I installed a Ranger plate on a CProducts 10 round magazine.  I could load all 10 rounds, but it was impossible to seat the mag unless the bolt was open, or if I downloaded the mag by 1 round.  

Would the result have been the same if I used an L plate rather than a Ranger plate?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious about this myself.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What part of Magpul Ranger plates makes the magazine difficult to use at full capacity?

Is it the locking plate?  

Do the L plates and Ranger plates use the same locking plate?

I am asking because I installed a Ranger plate on a CProducts 10 round magazine.  I could load all 10 rounds, but it was impossible to seat the mag unless the bolt was open, or if I downloaded the mag by 1 round.  

Would the result have been the same if I used an L plate rather than a Ranger plate?

The lock plate is the issue and will happen with Rangers or l-plates
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I see.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If you take about 1/8 inch off of the follower legs (the thickness of the retaining plate) you will regain the original capacity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you take about 1/8 inch off of the follower legs (the thickness of the retaining plate) you will regain the original capacity.

Will this affect the reliability of the mag in any way?

Is the same method used for Magpul followers?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It works with Magpul followers, and I have not had any adverse effects.  However in theory the shorter follower would be slightly more likely to tilt, but I have tried and they still don't tilt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll try that.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes...I was just going to post a compalint about Ranger Plates and MagPul followers.  I have the problem with getting that last round in the mag.

It sort of sucks considering the rep of MagPul.  I am considering going back to a stock mag and just getting MagPul standard type pullers.

Are you listening MagPul??

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Another question:  

Do I still have to download a curved 20 round mag when using a MagPul plate?  Does it make any difference as to what type of follower is being used?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump for an answer
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump for an answer

It shouldn't effect the way the follower functions but it might allow the spring to be compressed to solid height which is not good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Good point Magpul (and great products, I can't wait for the UBR stock).

He was doing this in a 10 round mag, so he should have plenty of spring room (the same with the curved 20s).  However I totally agree on 30s you may coil bind the spring which is not good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The packaging for the Ranger Plates states clearly that mag capacity is reduced by one unless you use their self-leveling follower.  However, I suppose it would be nice if their web page indicated this info too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump for an answer

It shouldn't effect the way the follower functions but it might allow the spring to be compressed to solid height which is not good.

Could you please explain this to me?

What are your thoughts on cutting the follower legs on a 10 or 20 rounder?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bump for an answer

Could you please explain this to me?

What are your thoughts on cutting the follower legs on a 10 or 20 rounder?

On a curved 20 rounder there are less spring coils so the follower bottoms out way before the fewer number of spring coils get compressed. You can cut down the legs only to the point where the spring coils still have a hair gap between them fully compressed.

This also changes with type of springs you are using. Our followers are built to work with ISMI springs which use thicker coils than stock USGI.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought three NIW Center mags, installed the MP follower and MP ranger plate. two or the three loaded up to 30 easy, the third was a tight mutha. I trimmed 1/8 off of the follower and it works smooth with the full 30 rds loaded.

I say it depends on the mag. My old USGI mags all load up to 30 smoothly, my newer mags are a little tight.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top