Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:10:23 AM EDT
they are made in england. anyone ever use them? are good they quality?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I had some of them and used them at the range for years.  I had no problems with them.
I haven't seen them around for awhile now.  I bought them when USGI mag prices were sky high.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh my yes.  AWESOME quality.  Tough as nails.  MUCH stronger than USGI aluminum.

I bought 26 during the ban, & replaced the followers immediately with the orange followers... then I replaced them again with the orange magpul Gen 2 followers.  (no real REASON to upgrade again, i just did it cause i wanted to).

I have never had any jams, or feeding problems.  Each mag weighs 8 ounces, as compared to 4 ounces for a USGI aluminum.  NO big deal to me.

If you do buy any of them... the FIRST thing I would do is replace the black plastic follower.  I had some of the original black plastic followers break during use.  

Here is before and after I refinished them... Flat Black Rustoleum....

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
they are made in england. anyone ever use them? are good they quality?

I picked up some during the ban years.  I have used some of them @ the range only.  I replaced some w/ Green USGI followers and left some as is.  Inside of mag seemed "gritty" when they arrived and the followers (both types) would not ride smoothly.  I used a wooden ruler to stroke the follower up/down 50-100 times ( i can't really remember now), but after awhile the followers ran smoooothly.  No jams w/ either original follower or USGI.  Good deal @ the time, but w/ new mags ~$10 I would pass; unless your in a state that still only can get "pre-ban" stuff or they were dirt cheap.

FB
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I like mine so much I had all ten re-parkerized and GunKoted.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for AWESOME. Just replace the followers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep.
After I posted my review, somebody (thanks, again) told me to check the black followers.
Sure as shit, they were soft and "bendy".
I tried some Gen II MagPul followers, but the re-parkerizing and Gunkote made them a little jittery.  I tried spraying a small amount of dry moly lube in there, but 4 of the mags would still stick.  So, I went with the green USGI followers and they moved more freely.  If I get the time. I'll try to come up with a solution for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.
After I posted my review, somebody (thanks, again) told me to check the black followers.
I tried some Gen II MagPul followers, but the re-parkerizing and Gunkote made them a little jittery.  I tried spraying a small amount of dry moly lube in there, but 4 of the mags would still stick.  So, I went with the green USGI followers and they moved more freely.  If I get the time. I'll try to come up with a solution for that.

Have you tried the new, new magpul followers?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Have you tried the new, new magpul followers?

Yep.  As noted above, they were the newest GenII followers.  Are there Gen III followers?
4 of the ten mags had issues, but I think it's because of the additional material added by the reparkerizing and GunKote.  The MagPul Gen II (and the original) work great in all my other mags.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have some.  In one of them, the follower occasionally sticks a bit.   I am going to put a Magpul follower into that one to see if it helps.  The others have all worked fine.  I still have two that are unopened.  Singapore steel mags seem to be ok too.  I have had no problems with them either
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 5. They are ok.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
i have just bought 10 mags 96.00 dollars. is that a good deal? I also bought 4 canadian thermold mags. I'm getting 6 more. they are a little spendy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i have just bought 10 mags 96.00 dollars. is that a good deal? I also bought 4 canadian thermold mags. I'm getting 6 more. they are a little spendy.

Not to me w/ the current prices on mags. If they work 100% who cares really.

FB
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
double post
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh my yes.  AWESOME quality.  Tough as nails.  MUCH stronger than USGI aluminum.

I bought 26 during the ban, & replaced the followers immediately with the orange followers... then I replaced them again with the orange magpul Gen 2 followers.  (no real REASON to upgrade again, i just did it cause i wanted to).

I have never had any jams, or feeding problems.  Each mag weighs 8 ounces, as compared to 4 ounces for a USGI aluminum.  NO big deal to me.

If you do buy any of them... the FIRST thing I would do is replace the black plastic follower.  I had some of the original black plastic followers break during use.  

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/26Mags.jpg

Here is before and after I refinished them... Flat Black Rustoleum....

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/mags.jpg

I did the exact same thing to mine, Flat black rustolueum and gen 2 followers
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
mine were bought during the ban for $8 a piece so the price was hard to beat.

all mine have the first gen "pink" followers and wolff + springs. but with the prices on new usgi mags nowadays its hard to justify them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Jus to put this out there but I'm pretty sure that the mags that I have and others here are talking about are not SA80 mags.  The mags with the England sticker on the mag body are not SA80 mags to my understanding.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Jus to put this out there but I'm pretty sure that the mags that I have and others here are talking about are not SA80 mags.  The mags with the England sticker on the mag body are not SA80 mags to my understanding.

First off... sweet... we have the same mags.

Secondly... yes, you are right... they are actually SINGAPORE SAR-80 mags.

But to make it easy... since they all come with a little sticker that says "England".... we try to not confuse people... and we call them "the english mags"
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top