Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:08:39 AM EDT
Suggested tools, or similar:

1/8" narrow pillar file with safe sides. Up to 1/2" wide is acceptable. Safe sides are req'd.

or
Flat (tapered or straight) diamond file.

or
industrial deburring tool for straight edge application.

or for field expediency:
a small stone, even a sharpening stone found on survival knives

The task is to simply remove the burr left by the shearing process during manufacture. The mags in question are otherwise completely serviceable, if not excellent. DO NOT get aggressive with material removal. Only a slight radius or angle is required to restore perfect round feed, release and timing. This deburring will stop case scoring and feeding drag.
Edited to add: Stuffing any AR/M16 magazine to capacity causes its own problems not addressed by the above procedures. Download by at least TWO cartridges!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0094.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0101.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/papafoxtrot/IMG_0102.jpg
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you papafoxtrot, two questions tho, were these mags that had failed to feed? I had to assume so, just thought I'd ask anyway, and did you test these afterwards, seems that mine have excess material in front of the feed lips that contacts the round at the rear of the cartridge, if I try this should that also be removed?

Edited to add: nice clear pics by the way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice write up though this is something that should not have to be done...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the write up!  his
It is probably good to know anyway either way!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Time would have been better spent violently cycling rounds through those magazines via trigger manipulation and primer detonation.

But if you're happy with the results, Im happy for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Good info to know, but frankly, it shouldn't be necessary on GI spec mags. Some crapola USA mag, or some piece of shit Ramline, maybe. The mags ought to run right out of the bag, and one shouldn't have to perform Dremeling/surgery to get them to work.

Enough said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Edited to add: Stuffing any AR/M16 magazine to capacity causes its own problems not addressed by the above procedures. Download by at least TWO cartridges!

Any USGI magazine that can not hold full capacity of 30 rounds should be disposed of or set aside as a range magazine. 30 rounders should hold and fire 30 rounds. Stripper clips hold 10 rounds. 3 strippers per mag reload.

Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Down loading does help when inserting a round on a closed bolt. But I do agree that if it will not function with 30 rnds (after it is locked in place) then it should be put aside.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
This is one of those procedures for people who just enjoy sitting around tinkering with their gear.  Not necessary, but it might make things work a little slicker with some magazines.

If I were doing it, I would use a small Arkansas stone and just smooth it lightly, or maybe a little fine steel wool, not go in trying to remove metal or apply a "radius".  It would be too easy to end up with rounds jumping out of the magazine when they aren't supposed to.

I also have never seen the point of "downloading" magazines.  I'm in the habit of giving the magazine a healthy slap on the base to seat it, and that has always got the job done.  As PRNJ Escapee noted, under-loading a magazine doesn't make right good sense if you use stripper clips.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nice write up though this is something that should not have to be done...

Exactly!  What kind of mags were those?

I'll go out on a limb here and guess CProducts or D&H?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Your wasting you time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice writeup. As stated before, we should not have to do this to new mags, however it is still good knowledge to have. Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is one of those procedures for people who just enjoy sitting around tinkering with their gear.  Not necessary, but it might make things work a little slicker with some magazines.

No you are wrong on this. Some lots of the D&H mags had such sharp edges that it would prevent the rounds from feeding properly. There is thread on this that clearly shows the fault in the magazines.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
D&H
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Demigod,
Next time you go out on a limb, make sure you know what you are talking about. Those are not C Products mags they are referring to.

Larry
C Products

Just sighting the two most likely candidates.  No offense.  But the mags sold thru 44mag have been the most recent source of problem threads.  I appreciate that you're here to address any concerns, but there have been problem threads on this site regarding both manufacturers.  I'm not attempting to spread lies if that's what you're implying.

ETA: I also know that 44mag has made good on any product issues as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#20]
tagged

I have a few that are tight front to back, which makes them jam up when I push ammo off of stripper clips. No FTFs though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top