Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 11:08:17 PM EDT

I'm looking to get a few of the highest quality AR magazines money can buy. Cost isn't as concern as long as they are under $40 each. Things I'm looking for in them:

Followers that don't tilt
Springs that don't make a gritty sound when you're loading the mag.
base plates that are VERY secure
Excellent spring life
Tough finish on the outside of the tube.
A magazine that will reveals the rifles REAL reliability.

I saw the mags at www.44mag.com and they looked impressive. Just wondering if it's worth looking for anything nicer. I am not satisfied with the feel of my stock Bushmaster magazine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking to get a few of the highest quality AR magazines money can buy. Cost isn't as concern as long as they are under $40 each. Things I'm looking for in them:

Followers that don't tilt
Springs that don't make a gritty sound when you're loading the mag.
base plates that are VERY secure
Excellent spring life
Tough finish on the outside of the tube.
A magazine that will reveals the rifles REAL reliability. HUH?

I saw the mags at www.44mag.com and they looked impressive. Just wondering if it's worth looking for anything nicer. I am not satisfied with the feel of my stock Bushmaster magazine.

cproductsllc.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0034.3.2232149113400001808
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]

HUH?

You know, when the gun is new and you're seeing how trustworthy it is. Using good magazines give you a better idea of the rifles fuctions instead of halving to wonder if the malfuctions you do have are coming from the mags or the rifle. I have found it's hard to tell sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
how is it hard to tell if it is the mag or gun?  Most of the time it is pretty obvious, and 99% of failures with guns seem to be mag related anyhow....but if you want what is considered "the best" you can look for HK made mags in the equipment exchange on this site, build your own out of parts from magpul (follower, baseplate) and whatever spring and body you want to use, wait for C products new line of stainless goodies, or check out:www.dlsports.com/ar15_extreme_duty_magazines.html

Most find that good USGI mags are fine and will function with out issue.  Stay away from NAtional, Promag, Western, USA etc and you will be fine.  read the mag rankings faq tacked to the top of the forum for more info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting AR's for 30 years including 3 years of Infantry.Never once did I see a G.I. mag fail,and that includes really beat up ones.Just buy some new GI ones like CP,D&H,OKay and you'll be good to go.Don't waste your money on the latest wiss bang gadgets,space age followers and what not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL at HK mags and quality

I know its probably true but dont try telling that to the HK handgun guys. $1100 for my USP and the rounds rattle around inside when its in the pistol... and BOTH of my USPT mags stopped holding the slide back after 3 reloads each
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Brownells mags are great and good price.

Now best are supposed to be the new H&K 30 rounders marked LE only[not the surplus steel ones]. These are steel and a new updated design. They are around $50.00 each. and hard to find. Only place I've seen them advertised is in delta mag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=324
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hk -then Labelles IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want to try the best, IMHO, try our new stainless steel magazine. It has been evaluated by some of the best AR guys around and has passed their high standards. It has stood up to some real torture tests that other magazines have failed. This is a very new exciting magazine and you will not be disappointed. Visit www.cproductsllc.com

Larry
C Products

I would like to see a pic of this mag but cant find one on your website, all the pics seem to be the same magazine ,also woul like tosee your black mags as well , thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been shooting AR's for 30 years including 3 years of Infantry.Never once did I see a G.I. mag fail,and that includes really beat up ones.Just buy some new GI ones like CP,D&H,OKay and you'll be good to go.Don't waste your money on the latest wiss bang gadgets,space age followers and what not.

Wow, you must have had the best USGI mags ever.

I've seen tons of USGI mags shit the bed, any and every way including bent feed lips, broken feed lips, broken spot welds, broken floorplate tabs, floorplates coming off. The first 3 inevitably result in double-feeds and the last generally results in dumped rounds.

The flimsy POS aluminum mags are the weak link in the AR rifle system.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm intrigued by the SS mags, but I don't know if I can afford a load-out's worth of them!

One thing I definitely recommend for any aluminum mag is some kind of magpul on the base.  I have a few ranger plates to protect the tabs in a drop, but I'm thinking I would like the L-plates even more.  It won't take many drops-to-concrete to dramatically weaken the thin aluminum floorplate tabs, and then you could have a blow-out at any time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the CP mags with the Magpul Gen II followers and ranger plates that I installed myself.  This is an outstandiong combination.  I highly recommend the Gen II followers.  They are very smooth and very reliable.  The ranger plates make it easy to grab your mag out of the pouch and help to readily identify your mags at the range.

As stated previously, a good-condition GI mag is extremly reliable.  All of the other "enhancements" are just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm surprised you haven' t been kicked off the board and flamed to a burnt crisp . You are the AR15.com antichrist.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Kurt, sarcasm right?Duh i'm kinda slow.........
Brownell makes a good mag at good price.I've beeen down the malfunction, pull your hair out ,gunbuilder blames everything but the luner eclips(and their gun).
The gee-wiz bang stuff usually ends up next to the 3 toasters you got for the holidays.
I ask guys that have been through this and i get the same answer(from the guys that don't have problems)"Yea I got some of those "or "I tried that"then "I still gotem if you wantem,cause i don't usem no more"
My .5 cents worth
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I saw it mentioned twice in this thread that the Brownells mag is good.

FYI - the Brownells mags IS the CP products aluminum mag.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
USGI with magpul gen 2 follower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the old USGI 20-rd magazines with the alloy follower.  They're hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
USGI with magpul gen 2 follower.

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you must have had the best USGI mags ever.

I've seen tons of USGI mags shit the bed, any and every way including bent feed lips, broken feed lips, broken spot welds, broken floorplate tabs, floorplates coming off. The first 3 inevitably result in double-feeds and the last generally results in dumped rounds.

The flimsy POS aluminum mags are the weak link in the AR rifle system.

Why would anyone use a mag with these types of obvious damage?.....and not anticipate problems?
A new USGI mag (made correctly, and inspected per gov't requirements) is hard to beat.

Routine user inspection and maintenance of the entire weapon, including magazines is the weakest link, IMHO.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Hotgun, +1

After many years of flawkess service, I'll continue to rely on my USGIs., preference for Okays. Don't plan on changing that either (of course I do take care of them and don't go dropping them for no good reason).
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top