Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:51:09 PM EDT
To replace the old black followers that most of our mags had in them before we deploy...

we were asked who needed new followers because theirs were black and not green... well i have all magpul followers (and all my own mags) anyway, so of course didnt' say anything (they all know what i have anyway)

they come over with a bag and start handing out brand new grey magpul followers....

DAMN!

tried to jump in line but was told to get the hell away (they know i'm a gear queer)

-Roth
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
great to hear. i'm glad you guys are getting gear upgrades before deployment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a bit disappointed in the logic of military units replacing parts in their issue mags.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a bit disappointed in the logic of military units replacing parts in their issue mags.

Hotgun

Why??? Their issued gear often times SUCKS!

C4

+1 Military stuff, especially small, plentiful items (like mags) get beat up, worn out, and don't get replaced.  I've had a mag dump, because the floor plate fell off of a military mag.  I was young and dumb so I didn't check it before I got it.  My fault, not the armorer's.  After that I looked at every mag I was issued, and while they were never in such poor state of repair that I dumped a mag like that again, they were still in horrid condition.  The ammo was too........lots of dents in cases, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hotgun

+1

I'd rather have complete NEW GI config mags, and leave the Magpul stuff for the Internut Commandouches and Airsofters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1

I'd rather have complete NEW GI config mags, and leave the Magpul stuff for the Internut Commandouches and Airsofters.

Ok, I'm new here and don't know the back story but I've read several posts from you bashing the shit out of Magpul. Did they run over your dog, piss in your cornflakes? What the fuck? I use the MIAD grip because it fits my hand and the Magpul follower because the green ones tilted and jammed in the rough inner coating on my Colt brand mags. Seems like lot's of folks like what they make and it's not like they're Dark Ops knives with the bullshit hype advertising. If it's a big secret or something beat to death just tell me to shut the fuck up, my feeling's won't get hurt. But if it's not I'd really like to know why you can't stand them.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, I'm new here  

Yep.  You are.  

Relax.... markm is just our junk yard dog.  He like to bark... but he has no bite.  You learn to filter it out after a while.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I fear many folks see the term "military" in a post and vision large purchase, DOD-wide, sanctioned and somehow "approved, or "authorized" use of this or other products. As here, this is often not the case, where the term refers to an individual, or unit commander using either personal, or discretionary funds, Gov't credit card, etc, to make a small purchase.

Obviously, system-wide the Army has not adopted, recommended or approved the use of the stated followers. Mags are disposable items, so they aren't likley to be inspected for non-authorized mods.

It makes no sense for a military unit to spend $2 each mag to replace a follower for the following reasons:

1) Mags are non-repairable items
2) Mags in the cited case have Black followers.....obviously not recent vintage
3) Mags of this vintage may have other less obvious damage / wear
4) New mags are available & cost the unit < $10

Does it make sense for civies to repair / upgrade mags? Perhaps, depending on their location & any local bans on purchasing new ones.

SOCOM....I'm not worried....They'll get their mag w/self-leveling follower...

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me clarify here.... This was a unit purchase, I'm not aware of the whole Marine Corps switching to magpul followers...

that being said the ones that I've had (i use my own mags, take the issue ones and hand them in- don't use them) have not had any problems due to the follower (magpul followers in all of my mags)

I would rather use green then black  that we had, but getting magpul followers is a great upgrade.... would new mags be a better idea? yes, ours are pretty beat up..... but this will do for now...

-Roth
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I fear many folks see the term "military" in a post and vision large purchase, DOD-wide, sanctioned and somehow "approved, or "authorized" use of this or other products. As here, this is often not the case, where the term refers to an individual, or unit commander using either personal, or discretionary funds, Gov't credit card, etc, to make a small purchase.

Obviously, system-wide the Army has not adopted, recommended or approved the use of the stated followers. Mags are disposable items, so they aren't likley to be inspected for non-authorized mods.

It makes no sense for a military unit to spend $2 each mag to replace a follower for the following reasons:

1) Mags are non-repairable items
2) Mags in the cited case have Black followers.....obviously not recent vintage
3) Mags of this vintage may have other less obvious damage / wear
4) New mags are available & cost the unit < $10

Does it make sense for civies to repair / upgrade mags? Perhaps, depending on their location & any local bans on purchasing new ones.

SOCOM....I'm not worried....They'll get their mag w/self-leveling follower...

Hotgun

+1

I was talking to our supply guys one day and got on the point of mags and how I bought my own with upgraded followers and black teflon coating.

The corporal supply asst. was like, "Why you buy new ones?  These arent good enough?"

I said, "Tell you what, go get one of your mags and I'll bring one of mine.  Then I'll show you the follower and how easy the issue mags can tilt. "

Him - "Ah....nah, thats ok "

And the issue mags are <$8.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, I'm new here  

Yep.  You are.  

Relax.... markm is just our junk yard dog.  He like to bark... but he has no bite.  You learn to filter it out after a while.

I like it when he hollers ARMOUR LEVEL MAINTENANCE"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#14]
How did you manage to still have mags with black followers in 2006?  All of the Air Force magazines I've seen in the last five or six years had green followers-shouldn't The Corps be ahead of the Air Force curve?  (Just pokin'!)  Really, though, do your guys take such good care of their mags that they never got bunged up?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How did you manage to still have mags with black followers in 2006?  All of the Air Force magazines I've seen in the last five or six years had green followers-shouldn't The Corps be ahead of the Air Force curve?  (Just pokin'!)  Really, though, do your guys take such good care of their mags that they never got bunged up?

Marine Corps = stone aga when it comes to the supply chain...

and the mags aren't in that good condition- pretty banged up already, but no one listens when i tell them to go get their own... oh well

-Roth
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Third thread tonight regarding magpuls . . . man, there is a blank check right now when it comes to ordering the good gear.  Why our guys deploy with substandard gear is beyond me and I can only start looking at some shitbag supply NCO who's guarding his own turf or looking for an excuse not to do their job.  God help us when we are spending descretionary funds on the BASICS and not on the good stuff because of someone's apathy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Marine Corps = stone aga when it comes to the supply chain...

and the mags aren't in that good condition- pretty banged up already, but no one listens when i tell them to go get their own... oh well

-Roth

I thought the AF was bad about that sort of thing-we were still trying hard to get rid of TA-1 sound powered telephones before I retired...

Anyway, keep it clean, keep your head down at the right times, and take care!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
To replace the old black followers that most of our mags had in them before we deploy...

we were asked who needed new followers because theirs were black and not green... well i have all magpul followers (and all my own mags) anyway, so of course didnt' say anything (they all know what i have anyway)

they come over with a bag and start handing out brand new grey magpul followers....

DAMN!

tried to jump in line but was told to get the hell away (they know i'm a gear queer)

-Roth

How was this gear modification authorized?  Did they hand out the special, top-secret, exploding bullets too?  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top