Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 4:56:16 PM EDT
What's the word on the Mini 14 Thermold Mags ?  The Thermolds I have for my AR-15 work well. For the price they look like they may be an alternative to the overpriced Rugers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thermolds are good.  Don't be tricked into buying the Pro Mag look-a-likes though.  The look-a-likes are alright, but not an original Thermold.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with the Thermold mags for the Mini.  They actually feed and fit correctly, unlike most aftermarket mags.   Keep in mind this is for the old Thermold mags, not the current Promag version.  I have no experiance with those.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They work.  Monitor the locking hole at the front for excessive wear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
where would you get them? the good ones, that is?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
where would you get them? the good ones, that is?

Since the manufacturer is out of business, finding them is really hit and miss.  I picked up a few from the EE here a few years ago.  

The Thermold ones are stamped "Thermold D&D INC WILSON N.C." on the left side.  "PAT NO. 4139959" is on the bottom.   The right side has a year stamp and a mold number.  

Here is the locking hole Lumpy speaks of.  There is a pin in the front of the mag well that engages the pin and locks the mag into place.  

Also, factory mags are out there.  
Plug for sponsor
44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RGMAG20
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the reply. I have a couple of Millet mags for my Mini and they work well so far but I wanted to pick up a few more for the usual reasons. I hate to bite the big one for the cost of the Ruger 20-rounders but by all accounts this is the way to go. isn't there anyone selling them cheaper than $35?

again, thanks for the reply...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thanks for the reply. I have a couple of Millet mags for my Mini and they work well so far but I wanted to pick up a few more for the usual reasons. I hate to bite the big one for the cost of the Ruger 20-rounders but by all accounts this is the way to go. isn't there anyone selling them cheaper than $35?

again, thanks for the reply...

I bought some here about 6 months ago without any problem - $29.65 each
LINK
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top