Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:39:06 PM EDT
Bought some USA 10 rd mags.  Yeah, I know they are'nt the best.  Went to the range this afternoon, had them fully loaded with 10 rounds a piece.  Popped him in, pulled the charging handle and the bullet jammed.  The tip of the round was stuck on the barrel extension and there was no play at all.  While holding charging handle out I managed to stick my finger in and push the bullet back into the magazine.  I then took the mag out, and took the top round out and noticed some scratches on it where the lip of the magazine had rubbed on it.  I switched the round out with a new one, loaded the mag back in, and like and idiot tried to chamber it again.  Same thing happened, round did not feed, tip was jammed against the barrel extension.  Got it all apart and out, and I took the first two rounds out and then tried again.  Functioned flawlessly.  Grabbed the second mag, popped the first two rounds out, and it fed fine.  I then loaded my MMG 10 round plastic piece of junk, which had a full ten rounds, and it fed and fired fine.

So, is it possible that I need to loosen the springs up these USA mags, or is this problem indicative of something else that is going on.  Or, are these USA mags crap like everybody says they are.

This afternoon was first time out with the AR.  Was 28 degrees outside, I froze my butt off.  It was worth every moment.........
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Try locking back the bolt, loading the mag and then hit the bolt release.  Every now and then I have similar trouble when I load a round via the charging handle.  Never had a problem locking the bolt back and using the release.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Cavalry99

Bought some USA 10 rd mags. Yeah, I know they are'nt the best.

But yet you bought them....

So, is it possible that I need to loosen the springs up these USA mags, or is this problem indicative of something else that is going on. Or, are these USA mags crap like everybody says they are.

Save your self some grief. go pick up some NIW GI mags and then come back and report....call it a cheap lesson.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I bought them because I was having a hard time finding any metal AR mags in 7.62X39.  They were the only ones I could find that were in stock.  I've got a better solution, gonna go buy me a new .223 upper and that should solve the problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Try the Randall Rauch magazine tweak...You need to get a pair a pliers and flare the cartridge lip VERY SLIGHLY.  I had the same problem with PRI 6.8 mags (even on my M4 feedramped upper)and the tweak fixed it.

Here's a photo from the 6.8 yahoo groups pages:

ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/68RemSPC/photos/view/9056?b=24
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are the steps necessary too make USA magazines useful.

1. Use the tip of a bullet to gently pry the bottom of the floor plate up.
2. Remove the spring and follower.
3. Take a file and gently remove about 1/100th of an inch off the top of the follower.
4. Take a pair of wire cutters and remove the bottom two twits of the magazine spring.
5. Take a pair of "robogrips" and gently press the feed lips from both sides. The goal is to move them closer together by about 1/50th of an inch.
6. Carefully inspect the inside of the magazine for any dirt or debris. If you see any, gently scrubb it away with hot soapy water. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF SOLVENT.
7. Lightly lubricate the spring.
8. Reassemble the magazine with the cut part of the spring at the bottom.
9. Place magazines at 10 yards and shoot repeatedly as they are shit and only good for ues as targets.
10. Call Cproducts and order some real magazines - They will soon release 7.62x39 mags.

Best of Luck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

3. Take a file and gently remove about 1/100th of an inch off the top of the follower.
4. Take a pair of wire cutters and remove the bottom two twits of the magazine spring.
5. Take a pair of "robogrips" and gently press the feed lips from both sides. The goal is to move them closer together by about 1/50th of an inch.
6. Carefully inspect the inside of the magazine for any dirt or debris. If you see any, gently scrubb it away with hot soapy water. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF SOLVENT.
9. Place magazines at 10 yards and shoot repeatedly as they are shit and only good for ues as targets.
10. Call Cproducts and order some real magazines - They will soon release 7.62x39 mags.

Best of Luck!

+1

Don't even bother.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Best of Luck!

TS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread kinda reminds me on recipe of how to cook a mudfish.  You start off with a board.....

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
So, did you get your mags to work?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]
You truely got what you paid for.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top