Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 8:59:46 AM EDT
I would like to paint some new magazines to better match my AR's color scheme.  I did a forum search but came up empty.  Any insghts or recommendations?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Duooh!  hock.gif

Just saw the post above about refinishing mags!  

Any other input, though, is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking of using Brownell's Alumahyde II which I have used on other firearms to good effect.  I do not plan on painting the interior as the mags are new, never used.  Has anyone used this product on mags?  

I imagine I will have to be careful to not get too thick of a coat in the mag well area so that the mags don't bind.  I guess I'll do just one and give it a try.  

Does the gray finish on the mags need to be removed,buffed or prepped in any way--other than a wipe with acetone to remove any oil--prior to painitng?

Thanks to all who answer an AR junie in need.   hy.gif
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've painted more than a few AR mags, exterior only, and I haven't noticed any downsides.  I used the rustoleum camo, then matte clearcoated for durability.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've painted more than a few AR mags, exterior only, and I haven't noticed any downsides.  I used the rustoleum camo, then matte clearcoated for durability.

how has the matte clear coat held up and is it really matte with no shine.  I refinished some England mags with rustoleom and a satin clear coat.  I didn't know there was a matte clear coat or I would have bought that instead

do you have any pics?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm thinking of using Brownell's Alumahyde II which I have used on other firearms to good effect.  I do not plan on painting the interior as the mags are new, never used.  Has anyone used this product on mags?  

I imagine I will have to be careful to not get too thick of a coat in the mag well area so that the mags don't bind.  I guess I'll do just one and give it a try.  

Does the gray finish on the mags need to be removed,buffed or prepped in any way--other than a wipe with acetone to remove any oil--prior to painitng?

Thanks to all who answer an AR junie in need.  

I've done it. It will scratch where the mag inserts and rubs. It is an improvement on a really funky mag, but not worth the trouble otherwise.  Clean and degrease thoroughly, apply 2 or 3 thin coats about 5 minutes apart. Set aside for at least a week to cure. Letting the can of AH2 to sit in a pan of warm water prior to use helps it spray more evenly.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I sprayed a 20 round Colt mag with Duplicolor 1200* high heat engine paint from Wally World, baked it in the oven for a bit, and it turned out pretty good.  Pretty much an exact match for the color of the anodizing on the rifle.  Has held up pretty good too, just wear marks where the mag has rubbed against the mag well.  Of course the mag hasn't been through much abuse, I pretty much just use it when I shoot off a bench.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a dull shine with 2 layers of clear (for durability), but no shinier than the handguards.  You can get less shine with 1 coating, but the trade off is finish durability.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I've rattlecanned a few nasty mags with outdoor furniture black.  It is imbedded with this sand stuff that leaves a real grippy, even surface almost like a light sandpaper.  Not enough to catch on clothing or anything...just a nice purchase when grabbing them...even wet.  I only paint the lower half mag well on down...I mask the upper part.  No need for prettiness or grip up in the magwell.  That also avoids the inevitable scratching off that would occur from the bolt, catch, magwell etc.

Its meant to stick to chairs in the rain so it works well.  You could do brown or grey too if you liked.  I got it at home depot for cheap.

Go ghetto!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've shot about 15 mags with AlumaHyde II - Just don't do it.  It lays on too thick and you will have insertion and extraction issues, plus it will scratch off at contact points.

I followed all the directions, it sprayed on very nice too, but it just is too thick.
Granted, they looked great after two weeks of curing, but most would not insert into any of my Bushmaster or Rock River lowers.

Aluma HydeII is a huge pain in the ass if you decide to try and remove it.

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've shot about 15 mags with AlumaHyde II - Just don't do it.  It lays on too thick and you will have insertion and extraction issues, plus it will scratch off at contact points.

I followed all the directions, it sprayed on very nice too, but it just is too thick.
Granted, they looked great after two weeks of curing, but most would not insert into any of my Bushmaster or Rock River lowers.

Aluma HydeII is a huge pain in the ass if you decide to try and remove it.

Sua Sponte,
Prib

I used Alumahyde II on some mags.  Rgrprib is right:  it goes on VERY thick.  I sprayed on one light coat on the whole mag followed 15 minutes later by a light coat on the lower half.  As others have said, it does take about a week to fully cure.  The finish, though, is first rate and tough.  I do not have problems with the mag sticking in the well on my RRA, but I also did about a dozen insertions just to smooth out the contact points prior to use.

If you want to do it try it on an old mag first to get your technique down.  I ended up painting 9 mags with the stuff and am quite happy.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
If you feel the need, then paint away by all means.

However, I'd suggest masking off the portion that fits into the mag well. The dry film provides better lubricity against the receiver mag-well's anodized aluminum.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The more creative you get the more important I believe it is to mask magwell on up.  That eliminates gunking up your internals with your colored concoction, compromising speedy reloads, making them non-drop free etc.  You may hate the silver/bronze look, but I bet they were 100% reliable before you started messing with them.  Truth is a mag with almost all of its factory finish worn off is still 100% functional.  It'll go in, feed and drop free just as well as a NIW teflon as long as you keep good springs/followers in it.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Clean and degrease thoroughly,

What would you recommend to degrease them?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Clean and degrease thoroughly,

What would you recommend to degrease them?

Acetone and paper towels.  Wipes right off without disturbing the anodizing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would like to paint some new magazines to better match my AR's color scheme.

Does your purse also match your shoes?  Why would they need to match?

Any way, painting is fine as long as you don't cake it on so thick that it's tight in the mag well.
IMO Refinishing is wasting WAY TOO much time for a part that finish serves no siginificant function on.
It's going to get worn off any way.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Greg.  I painted two of my SA80 Steel mags with Rustoleum, Matte Black.

Then i went and painted the rest of them.  The ONLY reason i painted them was for RUST protection.... as they are steel mags.  I was not really concerned with how they looked... only that they didnt rust.  So far, i have NOT had any problems.

Also... just ONE can of paint did 26 mags & floor plates.  So i spent 3 bucks.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
What about powder coat?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I am sending a buddy a 40rd mag to have him powder coat it in desert tan, no charge.  I will post and let you guys know if it works.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am sending a buddy a 40rd mag to have him powder coat it in desert tan, no charge.  I will post and let you guys know if it works.

Sorry it took so long to get back.  Thanks for all of the info.  Let me know how the powder coating goes--that sounds interesting.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top