Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:49 PM EDT
and left the aluminum raw? would this work or is there a reason other than looks for finish on a mag? serious question. i dont think blasted aluminum looks bad or if not bead blasted just  remove the finish and left bare  .     thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
and left the aluminum raw? would this work or is there a reason other than looks for finish on a mag? serious question. i dont think blasted aluminum looks bad or if not bead blasted just  remove the finish and left bare  .     thanks in advance

It's one thing to remove the old dry film lubricant.  It's another to remove the anodizing.  From what I've been told, bead blasting removes the anodizing, which supposedly is not really a good thing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have an old 20 rounder whose finish was very worn out. I took a fine grit sandpaper and decided to remove all of its original finish. It actually looked good in the raw.  

Since aluminum does not rust, I assume that the main reason for the finish is make it non-reflective.

IMO

Oh BTW, I did that several months ago and the mag is still ok.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't bead blasting for polishing?  It might be quite tricky to apply new finish (assuming you would ever want to) in the future.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
aluminum does rust, a good kind. It has two names aluminum oxide and anodized aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Exposed aluminum can oxidize.  There's a reason you don't see exposed aluminium on mags and weapons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Spray some Hoppes on your shiny mags and see what happens
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I probably wouldn't use a highly abrasive media like sand or glass, but something less abrasive like walnut may be suitable if you just want to remove any finish that was previously applied over the anodizing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Since aluminum does not rust, I assume that the main reason for the finish is make it non-reflective.

Aluminum does corrode... you don't want to remove the anodizing.

But I am positively convinced the reason for the gray dry lube finish is to make it non-reflective.  This is not a part that requires "lubrication".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hard anodizing resists corrosion and wear. http://www.designinsite.dk/htmsider/p1135.htm
Adding a dye to the process can give any hue you wish. If needed paints or dry film lubricants will adhere much better. You can do this at home.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an old 20 rounder whose finish was very worn out. I took a fine grit sandpaper and decided to remove all of its original finish. It actually looked good in the raw.  hat
IMO

Oh BTW, I did that several months ago and the mag is still ok.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Be carefull how much pressure you use as you can warp the metal .
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top