Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 11:59:12 AM EDT
I bought 4 new 30 round DH mags from a reputable supplier.  3 of them have "DH industries" on the base plate but one of them has the same but with the added "Resticted Law Enforcement Government Use Only" too.  The bodies all are stamped 10/05.

Is it ok for me as a Civvy to have that LE marked one?

Rob
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought 4 new 30 round DH mags from a reputable supplier.  3 of them have "DH industries" on the base plate but one of them has the same but with the added "Resticted Law Enforcement Government Use Only" too.  The bodies all are stamped 10/05.

Rob

Where you live its perfectly legal to have it. Any mags marked "Law Enforcement Only", "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT", "MILITARY USE ONLY" , "GOVERNMENT USE ONLY", are all legal except in CA, NY, MA, NJ, MD.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

Where you live its perfectly legal to have it. Any mags marked "Law Enforcement Only", "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT", "MILITARY USE ONLY" , "GOVERNMENT USE ONLY", are all legal except in CA, NY, MA, NJ, MD.

Wrong again.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

Wrong again.

Then whats the right answer?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Louisiana and my rifles and mags have "Resticted Law Enforcement Government Use Only" on them.

I'm a civilian also.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

Wrong again.

Then whats the right answer?

NJ and MD can have mags that are marked LE/Military only
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
according to the ATF you can have mags that are marked restiricted.  See the post awb thread tacked at the top of the mag section.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I would even go to say that no state can make it illegal to have words written on a mag.  For all the state knows is that it is a replacement mag of a pre-ban mag that was damaged.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would even go to say that no state can make it illegal to have words written on a mag.  For all the state knows is that it is a replacement mag of a pre-ban mag that was damaged.

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Its a dangerous game to play.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

To answer the original poster, no, it is not illegal for you to posses these mags.

Stickman- Why would you think this is dangerous?  How do words written on a mag hold such a high power?  I could write "these mags are illegal" on my mags if I really wanted to and it would hold no legal standing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Its not an issue for people who live in free states, but for those who do not, its not always that easy.

There is much more to things than the ATF, and certain cities and state are much more restrictive.  You can write whatever makes you happy on your magazine, but if it duplicates something that is illegal where you live, you are playing with fire.

If you don't believe me, go try to sell a bag of baking soda to a undercover cop.  Baking soda is probably legal where you live.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its not an issue for people who live in free states, but for those who do not, its not always that easy.

There is much more to things than the ATF, and certain cities and state are much more restrictive.  You can write whatever makes you happy on your magazine, but if it duplicates something that is illegal where you live, you are playing with fire.

If you don't believe me, go try to sell a bag of baking soda to a undercover cop.  Baking soda is probably legal where you live.

WTF?  That isnt a very good analogy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
D&H is slowly dropping the "LE" markings from their factory floor plates.

I have about 10 floor plates that say:

Bravo Company USA, Inc.
Hartland WI

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

WTF?  That isnt a very good analogy.

Not very good?  Its a terrible one, but sadly, there are many officers who don't look at things the way that I do.  To those officers who fully support getting "illegal" weapons off the street, they relish it more than a dope arrest.  

To you and I, the analogy is terrible, but to some, its not harsh enough.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bravo Company USA, Inc.
Hartland WI

Ditto.  

The less than free states are going to find it impossible to tell pre-ban from post ban from whatever and it will become impossible to uphold such crappy laws.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[

Bravo Company USA, Inc.
Hartland WI

Aren't those illegal in most states
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Only NJ and CA.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in MI so it's legal to own extra capacity mags.  I didn't mean to start a firestorm of controversy!  My apologies.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes it is

while repub is right.......the words are just words.

But in this case, these words are only used on magazines that are prohibited in many states (those listed)

I wouldn't test the man on this

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought the capacity of the magazine made it illegal in some states, not what was written on the floorplate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm in MI so it's legal to own extra capacity mags.  I didn't mean to start a firestorm of controversy!  My apologies.

Its not a problem in the least, your thread will help people who are stuck in AWB states.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Now if they would stop putting date codes on the bodies,I could finally buy NEW mags.Finding NIW LaBelle's are getting harder and harder these days.

FWIW,here in the Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts,getting caught with a "post ban" mag could mean a $10K fine and some years in jail.Nobody that I am aware of has ever been prosecuted,but I would never take a stupid chance like that.

Until then I will just go pre-ban mag hunting at the gunshows....

Quoted:
I thought the capacity of the magazine made it illegal in some states, not what was written on the floorplate.

Common misconception about MA is that people think high caps are illegal,in fact they are only illegal to posess if you DON'T  have the proper license.If you have the proper license, you can buy as many high cap PRE BAN mags you want.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Rob

If you're really concerned about it, find somebody who will trade base plates with you. I've got a bag of about 25 base plates from various manufacturers, and I'm sure there are alot of other folks on here with similar "collections".
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#26]
IIRC, the "LEO" baseplates were a D&H response to the novelty demand for LEO marked mags after the AWB expired. During the ban, the markings were supposed to be on the mag body.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rob

If you're really concerned about it, find somebody who will trade base plates with you. I've got a bag of about 25 base plates from various manufacturers, and I'm sure there are alot of other folks on here with similar "collections".

You can buy DPMS base plates directly from them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]
One disadvantage to the LEO/MIL mags is that you may be hassled by cops who are ignorant of the AWB expiring. Most cops were never exactly up on the AWB, and what was and wasn't allowed. You run a substantial chance of a real hassle if you ever have to deal with the Man. You might get a cop who knows it's not illegal, or you may get a real prick who hauls your ass off to the station to get it all sorted out...

Even if I had a letter on ATF letterhead saying it wasn't illegal, I wouldn't chance it. I recently returned 20 LEO marked mags to Tapco; they didn't say they were LEO marked, and I refuse to take the chance...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can buy DPMS base plates directly from them.

That's how I wound up with 25 "extra" base plates. I rebuilt a bunch of mags during the ban with new springs, followers, and DPMS base plates. At the time it was alot cheaper than buying new ones.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
One disadvantage to the LEO/MIL mags is that you may be hassled by cops who are ignorant of the AWB expiring. Most cops were never exactly up on the AWB, and what was and wasn't allowed. You run a substantial chance of a real hassle if you ever have to deal with the Man. You might get a cop who knows it's not illegal, or you may get a real prick who hauls your ass off to the station to get it all sorted out...

Even if I had a letter on ATF letterhead saying it wasn't illegal, I wouldn't chance it. I recently returned 20 LEO marked mags to Tapco; they didn't say they were LEO marked, and I refuse to take the chance...

Yep, I have been taken to jail   87   times already.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I have been taken to jail   87   times already.

Thank you, smartass. It only takes one trip to get you a criminal record, whether or not you're charged.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top