Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:30:55 PM EDT
I was just measuring my various makes of USGI magazines and am amazed how much variation there is from magazine to magazine, even between those made by the same contractor. How these work in a variety of rifles is beyond my comprehension!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
how much variation did you find ??
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's because it's NOT an exact science!

The tolerances are loose so that the system works in ALL environments, including Peanut Butter and Sand mixed in with your ammo at 20 degrees Farhenheit.

Try that with "Tight Tolorances" and see what I mean.

Tack
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]

The tolerances are loose so that the system works in ALL environments

That would be a clearance.  You need a minimum clearance between parts.

What I think the original poster is getting at is the different widths of magazines.  The tolerances are ridiculous large.  On my Oly, about 25% of the mags can not be inserted.  They're just too tight.  About half can be inserted with some difficulty and are more difficult to remove.  About 25% can be inserted normally.  The differences in sizes is just too great for comfort.  It also sucks to have to sell-off magazines at a loss just to find a few that fit.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've found up to .020 difference when measuring front to rear and as much or more side to side.  I think this adds new meaning to the old story about staking your life on whoever happens to be the lowest bidder..... Some of mine lock up tight, some when locked sound like a baby rattle they move so much. I have Parsons, Okay, Sanchez, Center, Labelle. No Colt or Adventureline.  Mine are all pre 94, most are in like new condition.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top