Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:03:43 PM EDT
Both these clips MAGS/MAGAZINES/MECHANICAL ROUND DELIVERY DEVICES came with my AR.  They are both in great "looking" condition.  Both of them have a problem with letting the last round loose.  
What they do is -
You have 2 shots left in the clip.  Fire, the bolt comes back and ejects the 1st casing and the 2nd bullet just "pops out"!  This happens before the bolt can get the the round to guide it out of the mag and into the chamber.
What normally happens is the bolt locks back and there is still a round just sitting in there.  Above the mag.  I have also attached a pic of what happened once.  The bolt didn't lock open and must have caught this popped out bullet in a wierd angle.  I circled where the point of the bullet got rammed into the inside of my upper.  
Should i just toss em?  are they garbage?  Can i fix this? (i haven't bothered to do a bending or anything yet)
they both have black followers.

Also, my other 3 mags work perfect!  2 are adventure line parsons 30rnd, 1 is an unmarked 40 rnd

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw those fake Colt mags away and buy real ones.

BTW, they are "magazines" NOT clips.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are crap mags.

They are NOT Colt mags. I think they are USA mags.

They should have stamped the bottom with "Cheaply made magazine made to fit into a COLT AR-15  Made in the U.S.A.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Those are crap mags.

They are NOT Colt mags. I think they are USA mags.

They should have stamped the bottom with "Cheaply made magazine made to fit into a COLT AR-15  Made in the U.S.A.

yep, there sure fit in!  i didnt buy them, they came with rifle, so far, 50% of the 6 mags i got with it are crap.  These 2 and the plastic one, i let it sit with 30rnds in it, pulled it out maybe a month later when i was going to go shoot, IT HAD SPLIT ITSELF!

I understand the parson ones ARE quality, correct?  i want several more mags to replace these crap ones, should i just buy the parsons?  they have functioned flawlessly through 1000+ rounds so far.  stick with what i know works?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I understand the parson ones ARE quality, correct?  i want several more mags to replace these crap ones, should i just buy the parsons?  they have functioned flawlessly through 1000+ rounds so far.  stick with what i know works?

Yes, Parsons are good mags.  So are O-Kay, Colt (real ones), D&H, Adventureline, FN, Labelle, NHMTG, & Sanchez.   There are others, but you get the idea.

Oh, and please call them "magazines" instead of "clips" so that the grammar nazis don't bust a nut over trying to correct people.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, what really pisses me off is when a person says 'magazine' when they really mean 'periodical'.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, what really pisses me off is when a person says 'magazine' when they really mean 'periodical'.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay Industries would not stamp a floor plate like that and they are the only company currently manufacturing clips for Colt. Good bet is, that is a USA clip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
anyone want to buy 2 slightly used high quality 30 round ar15 mags?  

heh
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta' Love the NOOOOOOBBBBBBBIIIIIIIEEEEESSSSS!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, those magazines look like crap! Makes me ashamed that they have 'Made in USA' stamped on them. Communist forced labor made better product. BSW
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, i just ordered 2 parson 30rnd and a o-kay 30 rnd.  Hopefully those do me good!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
anyone want to buy 2 slightly used high quality 30 round ar15 mags?  

heh

Mags?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
yep, they fit in ar15's, they should function just as well on a car!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Bribowl, give this a try (if you haven't already trashed the mags): Disassemble them and reverse the springs! I betcha the angle the spring is pressing on the follower is causing the problem.

If this (or any other solution) doesn't work, {humor mode ON} then have some fun with them: Take one and put a few bullet holes in it... 2 or 3 will do... and take the other and expose it to some serious damage, like an M-80 from the inside hem WILL get a fun reaction hock.gif to this!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]
That upper receiver looks to be made by the same bootlegger's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That upper receiver looks to be made by the same bootlegger's.

My lower was made in early 70's (er15 ed ryberg) so i imagine that the upper was too.  Besides not having any stampings on it and lack of a tear drop forward assist, it is identical to a m16-a1 upper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey Bribowl, give this a try (if you haven't already trashed the mags): Disassemble them and reverse the springs! I betcha the angle the spring is pressing on the follower is causing the problem.

If this (or any other solution) doesn't work, {humor mode ON} then have some fun with them: Take one and put a few bullet holes in it... 2 or 3 will do... and take the other and expose it to some serious damage, like an M-80 from the inside .... leave them in your range bag, take 'em out at a controlled range, and insert 'em when the rangemaster calls for a line break. You WILL get a fun reaction to this!

im not sure what type of reaction i would get.  i think they would just think that im crazy from putting a mag like that in and make me leave...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Those are USA (a company that makes crappy magazines) mags, and the misleading marking on the floorplates means it was made to fit into a Colt AR-15, not made by Colt.

The symptom you describe is also indicative of a weak spring.

Best solution is to discard, and replace with any USGI mag:

Adventure Line (later became) Parsons (later became) Center

OKay (also makes mags marked) NHMTG (also makes mags marked) Colt Ind.

DLSanchez

Labelle   (later became) General Stamping (later became) D&H

Labelle, and now D&H, also made mags marked DPMS, Defense Procurement Mfg Services, Bushmaster, BFI, Quality Parts, and for other manufacturers.

I have also purchased mags made by Labelle, according to the name and CAGE Code on the bags, but with blank floorplates.

These are all good USGI mags.  Get some.

(Do not buy Cooper Industries marked mags)

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Those are USA (a company that makes crappy magazines) mags, and the misleading marking on the floorplates means it was made to fit into a Colt AR-15, not made by Colt.

The symptom you describe is also indicative of a weak spring.

Best solution is to discard, and replace with any USGI mag:

Adventure Line (later became) Parsons (later became) Center

OKay (also makes mags marked) NHMTG (also makes mags marked) Colt Ind.

DLSanchez

Labelle   (later became) General Stamping (later became) D&H

Labelle, and now D&H, also made mags marked DPMS, Defense Procurement Mfg Services, Bushmaster, BFI, Quality Parts, and for other manufacturers.

I have also purchased mags made by Labelle, according to the name and CAGE Code on the bags, but with blank floorplates.

These are all good USGI mags.  Get some.

(Do not buy Cooper Industries marked mags)

Thanks for all the responses.  Im sure this general topic has been beat to death already...  I replaced all my mags with parsons, adventureline, okay and center ind.  They are working great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Odds are, your 40 rounder is a USA as well. I just say this so that you won't use it seriously, for defense or anything like that. Keep it for just a range mag.

It might be a Sterling, which are supposed to be good (but I have no experience with), but the odds are it's a USA as well. Check and see if the holes on it look similar to your junk mags. A similarity in finish and metalworking quality would also be an indicator.

I know you said it was generally reliable, but I'm just trying to be helpful. The brands that the previous posters have mentioned are good, and it sounds like you've rectified your situation.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Odds are, your 40 rounder is a USA as well. I just say this so that you won't use it seriously, for defense or anything like that. Keep it for just a range mag.

It might be a Sterling, which are supposed to be good (but I have no experience with), but the odds are it's a USA as well. Check and see if the holes on it look similar to your junk mags. A similarity in finish and metalworking quality would also be an indicator.

I know you said it was generally reliable, but I'm just trying to be helpful. The brands that the previous posters have mentioned are good, and it sounds like you've rectified your situation.

Good luck.

I have the same suspicion with that 40 round.  The metal/finish looks the same and the bottom of the mag doesnt look like its very good quality.  (the "arms" holding the buttplate on are kinda flimsy and bent wrong)  It has functioned flawlessly though.  But yes, i only trust my military mags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top