Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:06:55 AM EDT
which is a better  mag a colt or usgi ...is aluminum with steel the best? advantages to 20 or 30 rounders
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
RE: Brands... See this link:  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=163158

RE: Steel Vs. Aluminum...  If it's HK 30rd or sterling 40rd, I'd take these steel mags if $ wasn't an issue.  As $ is always an issue w/ me, I'll take USGI aluminum any day of the week.

RE: 20 or 30 round mags...  Hmm, a 12 pack of beer or a cold case of 24?  Either will work fine, how long do you plan on being at the "party"?  Easy answer to beer and mags- get lots of both and party on.

Sly
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
just for kicks...

I bought a Bushy mag and a D&H mag, They have the same code stamped on them (made by D&H)

The Colt mags are : Universal Industries/Okay Industries/NHMTG, same company as I understand it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt's mags ARE usgi...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Colt's mags ARE usgi...

Exactly, Colt are USGI mags. Not to mention all of the USGI mags are made up on the same dies originally from Colt. They should all be the same, but some manufacturers are not quite up to par on their QC. IMO any USGI mag will work well except for some lots from Sanchez and Cooper.

I might be wrong but I think all the USGI mags currently being made are from D&H. I know that D&H (formerly LaBelle), DPMS, and Bushmaster are all D&H.

Im not sure if Labelle ever contracted for Colt. I think Universal was the original sub contractor for the Colt 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colt's mags ARE usgi...

Exactly, Colt are USGI mags. Not to mention all of the USGI mags are made up on the same dies originally from Colt. They should all be the same, but some manufacturers are not quite up to par on their QC. IMO any USGI mag will work well except for some lots from Sanchez and Cooper.

I might be wrong but I think all the USGI mags currently being made are from D&H. I know that D&H (formerly LaBelle), DPMS, and Bushmaster are all D&H.

Im not sure if Labelle ever contracted for Colt. I think Universal was the original sub contractor for the Colt 20 rounders.

Yeah, thats wrong.  Okay industries, Center Industries and supposedly Creative Products all have govt contracts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My Best Mags List:

1.  HK 416 Maritime mags/Gen II
2.  HK 416 Gen II mags

3.  Labelle - Teflon mags (I love these)

4  Colt, with enhaced followers (all USGI should have the new magpul followers)

5.  other USGI (OK, D&H, etc)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Okay industries, Center Industries and supposedly Creative Products all have govt contracts.

I can't find anything but the hype and fluff threads that support CP having a Govt Contract
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay industries, Center Industries and supposedly Creative Products all have govt contracts.

I can't find anything but the hype and fluff threads that support CP having a Govt Contract

I dindt think Okay and Center were still doing the contracts. I know they had in the past. There are only two original tooling sets originally made by Colt. From what Ive read the original contractor was Center/Universal Industries. The tooling equipment was then sent to different small contractors. As they did more and more mags they eventually were no longer considered a small production and then the contract was moved to another company.

I dont think this is still the case, as the USGI mags were made by Labelle (now D&H) just before the ban, and now after the ban they are apparently the largest producer of USGI mags. But yet again Ive seen mags dated 9/92 with Center Industries floorplates. So who knows.

I would bet that CP is the other company using the tooling right now. I havent heard they do or dont have the contract, but it makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI, CP doesn't have a mag contract...Brownells does.

IMO, AL is the best material for an AR mag...and fortunately, my "O" counts.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a new Bushy A3 HBAR with new BFI 30 rd magazine.  First attempts at feeding were a little disappointing.  The mag. is painted aluminum.  The mfg. process, shearing, bending, 4 sliding, fixturing, etc. has raised a sharp edge across the exit ramp of the mag, transverse to the long. axis of the bullet sliding over it.  When the bullet does feed, part of the bullet  nose is shaved by the ramp knife edge, leaving behind some fine copper from the XM193 Ammo. metal jacket.  Sometimes when the bullet feeds, the knife edge catches the casing-to-bullet cannule joint stopping the action.  

I went crying to the range guy, and he loaned me an old straight 20 rd mag.   Looked like it came over on the ark.  It fed very well.  I unloaded the new 30 rd mag, and reloaded about 5 bullets in it.   These fed OK, apparently due to the reduced spring pressure?   I loaded 10 more in the new mag. and they fed OK.    By this time there was a ridge of copper shavings all across the mag knife edge where the bullets were dragging across.  I don't know how much bullet nose shavings is within spec.   I just like my bullets to fly straight.

On closer inspection, also noticed that burrs on the rolled over section of the casing catch or knuckle or fence of the mag., was digging deep gouges in the XM193  brass casing as it slid out during feed.

Question, should one use a dremel tool, debur tool, or whet stone to dress down all the burr edges on this new mag to make them feed better?   Or just do the proverbial 500 rd shoot and let things wear in?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW....

I was just issued "new is plastic" mags that are both Okay and Center Ind.  They have '03 and '04 date stampings on them....of course green followers.

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The Labelle mags in the plastic wrap are the best IMO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would bet that CP is the other company using the tooling right now.

CP is using their own tooling, not the machinery that was being passed around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Jaymeister,
CP is the only manufacturer making 5.56/.223 aluminum magazines using their own tooling.  We developed and built the tooling.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 6 HK 30rd mags, 10 usgi 30rd mags, 1 bushy 10rd mag, and 1 bushy 20rd mag.

I would have to say the Hk mags are my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Labelle mags in the plastic wrap are the best IMO.

I concur.  but I havent exp alot of the other good brands out there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
D&H teflons
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
D&H teflons

I am going to get me some of those next.  I believe those are made with all the Labelle tooling
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
FWIW....

I was just issued "new is plastic" mags that are both Okay and Center Ind.  They have '03 and '04 date stampings on them....of course green followers.

ARCAPTN

Have you had a chance to fully test them yet?  My battalion got a whole bunch of NIW Center and Okays and they really sucked, we had tons of malfs with them and found that the Okays gave allot of failures to feed off the right lip and the Centers had allot of problems with a sort of double feed in which the 2nd  round would get hit by the BCG attempt to feed will feeding the top round into the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
D&H teflons

I am going to get me some of those next.  I believe those are made with all the Labelle tooling

That's what I heard, too.  Great mags.  I just ordered 10 more yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
D&H teflons

JTAC?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
D&H teflons

JTAC?

44MAG.  They just got their Dealer status on ARF, too!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=316716
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
D&H teflons

JTAC?

man those prices are insane
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JTAC?

JTAC gonna be at the OKC show Jan 7-8?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JTAC?

JTAC gonna be at the OKC show Jan 7-8?

I have no idea,   I wont be going anyway.

I just ordered me 10 of the 44MAG.com D&H mags  thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got some Parsons mags with black followers; Labelle teflon mags with green followers; and BFI teflon mags with green followers.  I have never had any problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've got some Parsons mags with black followers; Labelle teflon mags with green followers; and BFI teflon mags with green followers.  I have never had any problems with any of them.

I believe that Bushmaster Firearms is using D&H magazines, but adding their own floor plate.  Also, D&H is basically Labelle, just under a new name (or using their same tooling/machining).
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Had very good luck with the La Belle, now D&H magazines over the years.

I had my fair share of problems with the Universal Industries, Okay Industries, Colt, NHMTG magazines over the years. Mostly not so good springs. Seems like good springs such as Wolf extra power take care of the more problem prone magazines.

Also had good luck with Brownells C/S springs magazines but have only been using some 1 year So my experience on them is limited compared to others.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top