Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:44:32 AM EDT
I bought this mag from a large gun shop during the ban.
It was the first Hi-Cap I had seen after I bought my first AR.
At the time the opinion was Colt mags were the way to go if you could find them. 1998 I think.
I stumbled on to this on my way back from the state 4-H championships my boy was shooting in.
Paid the long dollar.
This mag has the follower milled down where the bolt stop should hit and has a slot milled into the side of  the mag body.( see pics)
Why would you mill the follower like this?
The slot? For 5rds maybe?
I modified a green 30 follower and have used it and works ok.
Any idea on how and if a Magpul can be modified to work?
Or where to find an alloy replacement?
Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The slot, IMHO, was cut to allow operation of the mag in a different type of weapon.  Maybe an Armalite AR180 or Daewoo?  That may also hint at why the follower was modified.  I would assume the 20 round Colt follower would work in the 180 so perhaps it was for the Daewoo?  I admitedly don't know jack about the Daewoo.

Hope I'm more on target than off...

ETA:  The follower may also have been modified like that so that the bolt would not lock open after the last round was fired.  I don't know why someone would want to do that, but perhaps the previous owner felt better manually charging the bolt rather than slapping the bolt release?  Just thinking and typing here though.

A simple follower replacement will get you back up to spec, you only have to deal w/ the slot on the opposite side which seems to have been well done.  (ie, not all scratched up around the cut)

Sly
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking you are right, that it was modified for use with another type weapon.
That makes the most sense to me.
It was sold to me as new for an AR and it appeared to be.
I have used it and works fine except for the bolt hold open on the last shot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
you can get an alloy follower here

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1509&Category_Code=AA
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks to me it was modified for the "original" AR18/180 and done very well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks to me it was modified for the "original" AR18/180 and done very well.

If that's the case, was the modification to the follower necessary?  I have nearly zero experience w/ the AR18/180 type rifle.  (I've handled one a few times in a gun shop so that's why it's "nearly zero")  

Sly
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The mod to the follower was recommended when I had some AR mags reworked for my AR180. I have other AR15 mags that did not have the mod done to the follower and they work fine in my AR180. Try the mag in your AR15 and see how it works, simple to change followers but don't throw that one away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you can get an alloy follower here

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1509&Category_Code=AA

Thanks for the info.
I have shot it and it feeds fine but won't lock the bolt back on the last shot.
I would be glad to trade the modified follower for an unmodified alloy follower.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one to trade you if you want, finish is also worn but functions fine, if so IM me
I've got an AR180 that it should work in
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top