BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
Plan to update my magazines and buy some new ones. I buy from Brownells and they have their own 30 round "USGI" brand mags. What do you know about these magazines?? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm very happy with my Brownell's magazines with stock C/S springs. Mostly been shooting the 20 rounders but have been testing the 30 rounder some also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
good mags
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought some 20's and a 30 and going to try them out this week.  I'll post with any problems.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownells is all I buy. Not saying others arent just as good, but Ive had good luck with them. They are USGI. Mine work great, I have 30's and 20's. It would be a good idea to pick up a few rebuild kits though. Lots of times the springs or followers go but the shell wont. Occassionally Ill have shell crack at the lip, but I always keep the spring and follower and toss the shell. Much cheaper to buy rebuild kits than buy new mags-5.00 for a Rb kit  and 20 for a mag here ...hinking.gif
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Plus, Brownells offers significant discounts to LEO's, Military, and some others as well if you check.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I shot both the 30 and 20 rounders the last two days without a hitch.  I'll be getting more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Do they have the "green followers" and what name is on base plate?  THANK YOU!!!!!!! for the follow up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do they have the "green followers" and what name is on base plate?  THANK YOU!!!!!!! for the follow up.

Mine have the green followers and say "Brownells... Montezuma Iowa USA" I like these magazines a bunch and will buy more. But they are not USGI magazines as was stated by another post. The springs are not USGI... they are much better IMO. The bodies look like they are  much cleaner made than USGI magazines I've seen made in the last 2 years if you compare them side by side.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Jelly, I work for the company that manufactures the magazines for Brownells. My owners have asked (demanded) that I do not post their name. The magazines have a mil std spring and follower. The bodies are made off the only fully progressive die in the industry. No secondary operations. These are the magazines that will be supplied for the military contract Brownells has been awarded.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I actually like them better than the Mag that was suppled with my RRA carbine.  They seem to seat better in the well and just feel to feed smoother.  I think whatever problems they had with these mags at first have been well ironed out - don't think they would have been awarded the contract if they weren't.  Job well done to whoever is manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jelly, I work for the company that manufactures the magazines for Brownells. My owners have asked (demanded) that I do not post their name. The magazines have a mil std spring and follower. The bodies are made off the only fully progressive die in the industry. No secondary operations. These are the magazines that will be supplied for the military contract Brownells has been awarded.

rick, are there any plans to make 20's w a straight body?
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They own you?
Just kidding.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#13]
We did a survey and most state and local police departments preferred the curved. I haven't actually measured but I think the curved is somewhat shorter and some shooters prefer that. I will check again but I think curved is the only 20 they will produce. If you like the H&K 30 round mag I would recommend checking out the 30 round stainless steel mag they will be introducing in mid December. It will have the anti-tilt follower and a special design ranger floor plate. Priced at 40% less than the H&K. And weighs only about 10% more than the aluminum. Way less than the H&K. I'm taking a bunch of those with me in January to the sandbox. They have been tested by various SF, Seal Teams and they were totally impressed.

Sometimes it feels like they OWN me. Only kidding, they are great guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I take it Brownell's is place to watch for the new stainless mags?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Glade to hear your company got a contract for a very good magazine. Does the USGI contract now mean all newer magazines will have the USGI required "born on" date on the mag body? I know mine do not have the USGI required "born on" month and year. I know Brownells now sells a USGI required stainless steel spring version of the original C/S version. Is Brownells going to keep selling the excellent C/S version also, I sure hope so. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
excellent magazines
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Jelly, thanks for the compliment. Again I can't use names but a leading manufacturer has fired over 5,000 rounds in our mags without failure.  Those are the type of reports i keep seeing from the manufacturers.
As far as the "born on" my understanding is it is not required. We do not currently stamp it on our mags.
As far as I know, Brownells will continue the C/S springs, they are by far the best selling. I wish the military would change the standard to C/S.
As far as the stainless steel mag, I don't know who will be the distributors. I do know there is talk/rumor that there will only be 2 possibly 3. Military personel and LE can as always purchase direct.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Because Brownell's mags do not have a "born on date", are they o.k. to purchase/use in area's (upstate NY) that ban post ban high capacity mags?  I would like to purchase 20 round mags for my new AR15...and by the sounds of it, Brownell's would be a great choice - but I do not want to get in hot water over it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Because Brownell's mags do not have a "born on date", are they o.k. to purchase/use in area's (upstate NY) that ban post ban high capacity mags?  I would like to purchase 20 round mags for my new AR15...and by the sounds of it, Brownell's would be a great choice - but I do not want to get in hot water over it.

Absolutely not - against the law.

BATFE might be able to smell when they were made.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I sure hope the guy that works for Brownell's is still reading this post, I tried to order a few of the 30 rnd magazines and they will not ship these to me even though the ship to address is in PA. My billing address is in MD but they were to be shipped to PA.  the responce is that they wouldn't be gaurenteed that they wont be brought into the republic of MD. what kinda BS is this? I can go to a fun show in PA. purchase 30 rounders, show them my MD drivers licence for ID and then LEGALLY bring them home. Hope they realize they are missing out on some sales because of their internal "rules", wont shop there again. OK rant off.

Guess I'll just have to continue giving my $ to rustytx at DSG for my 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#21]
They will ship you all the parts needed to make a full mag to any state. If you really want them thats one way to go. I have some and they are really top notch mags if is not the best I have seen.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Bookhound, thanks for the post. I've been with CP 1 year so I only know what I hear about the "old days". Those were ugly mags. FYI, in the last year the owners retooled the die for the body and the fixtures for the welding. This was big, big $$$ but now they have the best magazine ever produced.  The guys posting their test results are proof of that and we get calls every day with the same message. I'm very proud of this company and I know some guys can't forget the past but my thanks to those who have. My entire unit will be taking these mags with us, we are confident that when the s hits the fan we can count on these mags performing flawlessly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Rick, thank you for helping me out with this, This is what customer service is all about guys, Rick has gone the extra mile helping me locate these elsewhere and sharing availability and shipping info, Gods speed to you in your deployment Rick, my prayers will be with you for a safe return home.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks, your prayers are very welcome! If I can help any one who reads these posts, IM me, I will try and help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Question about the Brownells mags.  In the latest newsletter it says that they can't sell the new USGI mags to anything other than military.  But it seems that they are in their catalog.  What's the difference?

Also, what makes the C/S springs better than the stainless?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Good question. Call Brownells and ask. I will do the same and post their reply.
As far as C/S springs, they maintain their initial load (power) over a longer period of time. A S/S spring takes a set each and every time the magazine is reloaded and loses its load (power)  weakening the spring. For someone who repeatedly uses the same magazines over and over that should be of concern. For my deployment I have replaced all my springs with C/S to include my action spring, extractor and ejector springs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to this thread, I added some mags to a Brownell's order that I had going in this a.m. Much obliged, gents.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Brownells just sent my order of six magazines to my son in Asadabad, Aghanistan.  The "USGI" magazines he was issued by the USMC are breaking. He is using duct tape to hold them together since they don't have any replacements to issue.  This will be a true test for these magazines (if they reach him in time).
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We did a survey and most state and local police departments preferred the curved. I haven't actually measured but I think the curved is somewhat shorter and some shooters prefer that. I will check again but I think curved is the only 20 they will produce. If you like the H&K 30 round mag I would recommend checking out the 30 round stainless steel mag they will be introducing in mid December. It will have the anti-tilt follower and a special design ranger floor plate. Priced at 40% less than the H&K. And weighs only about 10% more than the aluminum. Way less than the H&K. I'm taking a bunch of those with me in January to the sandbox. They have been tested by various SF, Seal Teams and they were totally impressed.

Rick, welcome to the site! It's great to have someone from CP posting here. I was wondering when the news about the steel mags would make it's way out, and I'm looking forward to picking up a good number for T&E.

BTW, congrat's on the contract, and thanks for making (IMHO) the best mags available
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#32]
The bolt,
If you ever need mags for your son or any of his buddies call 866 274-0247. The owner served in Nam and supports our guys to the max. The price is $7.90. That price is for all active military as well as law enforcement reading this post. Please trust me on this, the owners will do whatever it takes to help in any way they can. They have totally supported my unit as well as all of my buddies.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Capn
I'm very proud of our company and the product we produce. No offense or disrespect to the other manufacturers is meant but the mags we are producing are the best ever made!!
Just got back from the range after firing 900 rounds with the stainless steel mag. Absolutely, totally awesome!!! The new anti-tilt follower is just slick. Used the chrome silicon spring and it really did make a difference. Fired it with the S/S spring first. I'm hoping my unit will have these before we go. They weigh 1.6 ounces more than the aluminum, you can't really tell the difference. Get ready guys, a new mag is in the house!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thanks for sharing that Rick.  I look forward to their release.

And stay safe brother.  If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care and have a happy holidays.

Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thanks, your prayers are very welcome! If I can help any one who reads these posts, IM me, I will try and help.

Check IM-Prayers are with you and your outfit next month
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely not - against the law.

BATFE might be able to smell when they were made.

Illegal, but with no markings will be difficult to tell if its "post ban" or "pre ban". You will probably get away with it. But if by some miracle they find out its date of manufacture, then you better get ready to be a convicted felon. Dont bend over for the soap!

IMO not worth it. Get some used USGI mags and refinish em.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#39]
FYI 44mag.com is carrying the CP mags for 8.99, says they're the exact same as Brownells right in the description.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
FYI 44mag.com is carrying the CP mags for 8.99, says they're the exact same as Brownells right in the description.

After a friendly call from a Brownells Lawyer the website no longer says that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Heh, interesting.  They also changed it from 'the same' to 'very similar'.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After a friendly call from a Brownells Lawyer the website no longer says that.

Well that kinda pisses me off, don't know if I would have purchased these if it hadn't been for them stating that they were the same mags  , haven't gotten them yet, guess I'll wait to see if they're any good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#44]
"Very similar" because the only difference is the words on the floorplate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thank you for clearing that up Mark, look forward to trying these mags out, rickdownrange works for CP and swears that these are among the best mags produced to date.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#46]
FWIW, Keep in mind Brownells sells two versions of there magazine. One with USGI Stainless steel springs and one that is the same except it uses a C/S spring. Seems like the C/S spring is a step forward after testing three Brownells C/S spring magazines for a year now. I'm impressed enough with C/S magazine springs I'm now rebuilding my old AR magazines with C/S springs.

I think the magazines the 44 mag .com is selling is a USGI stainless spring version but could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

LOL they changed it back now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Good reports on the Brownells, I will have to pick up some.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#49]
good luck with them also....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#50]
OK Guys, i need some clearing up of some issues in this post. I am in Calif. and i have some mags that need to be rebuilt. Everything i have read up to date is, its perfectly legal to rebuild your high capacity mags in calif, so long as you retain one original part from the damaged or worn out mag. Is this true? Next question, are the mag bodies that brownells sells any good. IE: Reliable, drop free, ect?  Last question,,,,,,, if i rebuild these worn out damaged mags, how can i prove that they are rebuilts and not replacements of LEGAL PRE-BANS, that i aquired long before the AWB of Calif.
According to DOJ's website for Calif. " high capacity magazines are NOT controlled in Calif", What is controlled is" the sale, manufacture and importation" of high capacity mags in the state of Calif. Does this really mean, that if i bought NEW mag bodies to replace worn out or damaged mags, i wont be bothered?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top