Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2005 5:40:50 PM EDT
Orlite Mags anybody tried these are they any good?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
though not orlites, i have had great luck with thermolds
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Go look at the top of this forum and read he MAG FAQ.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Orlites are well used and abused rejects from Israel.  Many have sand inside, requiring disassembly and scrubbing the inside.  Despite the fact that this dirt and sand is from the Holy Lands, and perhaps Jesus Himself walked on that sand, it just doesn't help those mags work any better.

Many have cracked feedlips.  There is a metal mesh, like window screen, embedded in the plastic there holding it together.  The cracks may not be immediately seen.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't feed well.

For the same price, you can get a good used USGI mag.  For a few bucks more, you can buy a NEW USGI mag by Okay, D&H, etc.

Link Posted: 11/17/2005 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
  I used to like them but found out thay are trash .
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
They pretty much suck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Range mags for plinking only.

Sam
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
USGI.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 6 Orlite Mags and all but one work well in my Bushy, a little snug and they take a little tug to fall free.
My one bad Orlite has...you guessed it...cracked feedlips.
I heard the Israelis could use their Orlite mags as emergency fire fuel.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Orlites seem to feed and work just as good as my USGI mags, personally I like em better than my USGI mags. But they do have flimsy feed lips, Ive heard of em breaking, but Ive never had one break.

I use these ALL the time in my AR, my 24 GI mags are packed away for World War III. But I wouldnt want to rely on these in any warfare, these are fine for the range, but wouldnt want to bet my life on em, especially with USGI mags available.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got 6 Orlites that I got from CDNN for $7 a piece used.  Haven't had a problem with any of them.  Some of the feed lips are a bit worn, mainly at the rear.  Some people have said that the feed lips tend to crack when loaded and exposed to low temperatures but I've had all six of those out camping in sub-freezing weather with no cracking.  A couple of mine are kinda snug in my RRA lower but they all work with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
A while back, someone on sturmgewehr.com had them for $3 or 4 each.  I wish I would have bought some.  I need some hosts for my M261 inserts.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
brushdog,  got some bad news.  I've got a M261 myself and the inserts do not work with Orlites.  I think the angle of the feedlips is slightly different than USGI mags.  The rounds just tend to nosedive and hit the chamber insert just below the chamber.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
brushdog,  got some bad news.  I've got a M261 myself and the inserts do not work with Orlites.  I think the angle of the feedlips is slightly different than USGI mags.  The rounds just tend to nosedive and hit the chamber insert just below the chamber.  

Thanks for the info.  You saved me from buying some cheap Orlites.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a couple of Orlite mags and they were junk.  One was cracked at the top and the other ended up cracking.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a lot of them.  They all work well but those sometimes have problems with feed lips.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Seems to be divided opinions on the Orlite mags.  Just an update, CDNN has a sale on them at $4.99 apiece.  Even if you have to clean out some of the holy land sand when they arrive, seems like a bargain to me.  I've ordered a couple just to see what they're like.

Stan
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Seems to be divided opinions on the Orlite mags.

Actually, The opinions are pretty much swayed on the side of they are not that great and with the price of Good mags around $12, why buy cheap, Plastic, Unreliable mags that have a higher degree of failure., your money.

They have always had a poor reputation (why do you think Israeli is surplusing them and not using them..)

if your a  weekend go to the range plinker and your  Ideal of reliable is having a problem once and awhile, then it just boils down to your money and your level of expectation and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
While you can buy a good USGI mag for around $10, if you can find some orlites for $5, it might be a good idea to buy some for range use, so that your USGI mags don't get abused.  They are cheap right now (USGI), but if another ban hits, they may go up in value (which is why I am trying really hard to acquire more without the spousal unit knowing).  I would buy a few to save my good mags from getting abused.  If they don't work 100%, no big deal, not like I ever expected them to.  Hell, might be a good mag to teach yourself clearing drills.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have three . Never had a problem with them . I got them here and when i did one had a cracked feedlip , but the guy replaced it . I only ordered them to paint them pink .
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the sound they make when my boot heel crushes them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]

I only ordered them to paint them pink .

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fiance has a pink Cav 15 . She wanted mags that match I didn't want to use USGI mags for a range only gun .
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got like 6 or so of them.  No problems with them so far.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got about 10 of 'em, used, about 6 bucks a piece (cheaper than dirt or CDNN). NEVER had a problem. Couple of thousand rounds through 'em. I did get ONE that has the metal showing on one of the "ears" on the top rear.
If the SHTF...I would use my Colts first. (I drank the cool aid BUT did not pay alot!)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Have several. No holy sand.  They work fine.  For the price of new U.S.G.I. mags though I would go with new.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I have about 4 that I bought used. Only 1 or 2 work well enough for range work.

Unless you're looking to practice failure drills (a good idea actually) I'd go with new USGI.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I had bought like 20 of them during the ban.  I ended up tossing them all.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I got a bunch from CDNN lately and haven't had any problems (approx 1K rounds).  I did have to disassemble and clean them when they arrived but they work good enough for what I need them for.  Side note: I did see a joker at the last gun show I went to in Nov selling them for $28 EACH!  He really must like them or forgot about the ban expiring.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fiance has a pink Cav 15.

Can you post pics?  My gf has a pink Glock 17.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
On the right . Pre mag paint .
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have about 4 that I bought used. Only 1 or 2 work well enough for range work.

Unless you're looking to practice failure drills (a good idea actually) I'd go with new USGI.

Ive got 6 now, They all work excellent in my AR. I prefer em over the USGI mags for range work. I dont know if I believe the stories of the bad feedlips, Ive banged em up pretty good and havent managed to break one.

For the price on USGI mags now, you are better off just spending the extra bucks and getting one of those. If it happened to be a life or death situation you wouldnt want to worry about a broken feedlip. Especially if you could have avoided it for an extra $10.

I must admit that the loaded mag I keep in my house is a refinished USGI mag.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The latest Orlites are excellent magazines. Many of the negative experiences are related to used up, surplused military property, not a poorly designed magazine. USGI magazines which have been surplused can be just as hairy....Examples which are brand new, you can usually tell because they have the dust cover included, are some of the best functioning mags out there. Even the mags with the re-enforced feed lips are prone to cracks after serious use, however they are excellent magazines....unless you buy 4.00 value magazines which were used up killing Arabs in the 80's. A used magazine is a used magazine. While I do recognize their reliability and potential my "serious" AR's use nothing but D&H, however I have a large quatitiy of new Orlites which I use for practice and for plinking and I have yet to have one problem with any of them. I would trust them with my life, however I just choose not too.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The latest Orlites are excellent magazines. Many of the negative experiences are related to used up, surplused military property, not a poorly designed magazine. USGI magazines which have been surplused can be just as hairy....Examples which are brand new, you can usually tell because they have the dust cover included, are some of the best functioning mags out there. Even the mags with the re-enforced feed lips are prone to cracks after serious use, however they are excellent magazines....unless you buy 4.00 value magazines which were used up killing Arabs in the 80's. A used magazine is a used magazine. While I do recognize their reliability and potential my "serious" AR's use nothing but D&H, however I have a large quatitiy of new Orlites which I use for practice and for plinking and I have yet to have one problem with any of them. I would trust them with my life, however I just choose not too.....

I havent found one Orlite that broke or cracked. Keep in mind there are also two different types of feedlips on these. The older ones are more like the older 20 round USGI mags, I would imagine these are much easier to crack. I never cracked one of these, I got rid of em and got the newer ones that are more like the USGI 30 rounders. The newer versions are certainly much harder to crack, I took one out, stomped on it, smashed it on the end of a table, couldnt break it.

I used to sell refinished USGI mags on Ebay. Out of over 300 severely used USGI mags, I only found one with a broken feedlip.  But hey, thats one more than the 100 or so Orlites I sold on Ebay too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Oftentimes the cracks, located to the rear of the feedlip (usually) are only apparent when the lip is stressed as when the mag is fully loaded.  

Tough to reconcile the favorable experiences some of you have had.  All my Orlites were purchased NIW, appeared to be as advertised, and without an exception ultimately develop(ed)  cracks in the feedlips after anywhere from 3 to 20 mag dumps.  I have both types of Orlites:  those with lips like USGI 20s and the more enclosed versions.  Not one mag of either type has remained uncracked after this amount of use.  I do not necessarily discard them when the lips start to crack, but run them out till I start to get double feeds - indicating insufficient tension.

I have also, more rarely, had cracks develop in the body of the mag.

Sam
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I have over the years used them in my colt no problems and bushmaster (had to remove side ridge) . I have steped on them  170lbs. and they have not broke. I have used them in full auto and no feed problem. All mine were new or like new when I got them.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top