Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 4:13:09 PM EDT
I've done lots of research in the forums, particularly regarding the Orlite mag's and Bushmaster's.  Unfortunately for me, I have an Oly Arms AR and seem to have a similar or maybe not so similar problem.  

The mag's are tough to insert, but feed fine.  The codes on the bottom look like an 08 or 09 depending on which batch I'm looking at.  They are a bitch to pull out properly.  I've seen suggestions to file down 1/32" (I think) of the lip a 1/3rd of the way down.  I was also wondering if I should cut out the small area where the mag release seems to clamp.  Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, even though the mag's are tough to insert or pull out I can "slap 'em" in pretty easy and can "rip 'em out" easily as well (unfortunately without the mag release being pressed!!!)They didn't cost me a whole lot but I'm not really able to afford USGI mag's right now, so any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks in advance for any help provided & I'm looking forward to scouring the forums for info...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't spend anything trying to fix them.  Dump them when you can afford usgi mags.  You've got to be pretty damn broke though, they're only $11+.  Cheaper used.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell them and get some USGI, even though you might be cutting the number of your mags down a bit, you'll at least have mags that work and function like they're supposed to.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My Oly also has a mag well that's tight enough that some mags don't fit well, although USGI mags fit really nicely.  Someone gave me a half dozen SA-80 steel mags and they were really tight.  I marked the spots that were rubbing and touch those spots on my belt sander.  I repeated this until all the mags fit.  Now they fit fine.  If you've got junk mags I wouldn't even bother, but sanding the high spots does work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same problem, a tight mag-well. Apparently the OlyArms Co. is not a "tier-1" milspec Co.  Which means the rifles may be nice but the specs are not tightly engineered to mil spec dimensions. That being said, don't buy magazines anymore from anywhere  UNLESS you can try them out first. Mags should be able to drop free by gravity, empty. So, you may have to try twenty mags before you find ten that work well for YOUR rifle. I know this sucks for ordering via mail, but buy more than you need and sell the ones that don't fit. Now you just have to find a way to afford them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got the same problem with my old stop sign SGW/Oly reciever.  It will not take Theromolds, which isn't a problem since I've got enough USGI and HK mags.  Just get some USGI mags and get rid of the offending ones.

CD
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn bro you can't afford $11 dollar mags or you dont want to throw away the money you already spent in the oralites because I live in Wv and even I can afford the 100+ mags I got. and I really am broke.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top