Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:41:21 PM EDT
I recently asked in this forum if those D&H 30 round mags were legal to have in new york state, and i was told that it was ILLEGAL. but i emaied TAPCO and they said that it was perfectly legal to have in NY.

so what is the truth here?? am i gonna get into trouble? tapco said it was ok, so can i blame it on them? thanks for any info. -dave
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently asked in this forum if those D&H 30 round mags were legal to have in new york state, and i was told that it was ILLEGAL. but i emaied TAPCO and they said that it was perfectly legal to have in NY.

so what is the truth here?? am i gonna get into trouble? tapco said it was ok, so can i blame it on them? thanks for any info. -dave

I don't know if they are or not, but I'd suspect that if they are, and you tell the judge, "tapco said I could have them" he'd laugh at you while throwing the book at you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
well i can still cancel the order...i just need to know the facts if anyone knows.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
e-mail troy  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=201489

Sounds like a hell no read some of this post .....

http://www.firearmslawcenter.com/content/mllargecapacityprint.asp  

Yes that's hell no !!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

NO!  THEY ARE VERY ILLEGAL TO OWN AND ARE NOT WORTH THE FEDERAL POUND ME IN THE ASS PRISON SENTENCE THAT IS SURE TO ACCOMPANY THEIR OWNERSHIP.

Assuming that they are not pre-ban mags.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This may be of some help to you:

Quoted:
www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm

"Colt Preban 30 round magazines

These are new factory Colt preban USGI spec. 30 round aluminum magazines. These have the milspec dry film finish and the updated green follower. These have been in storage for years in their original individual plastic bags so they do not have the surface scratches common to current production mags which are packed in bulk with no plastic bags.

These preban magazines can be shipped to NY State and other locations where only preban magazines are allowed.

$20.00ea. / $19.00ea. for (5-9) / $17.00ea. for (10) or more"

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
haha alright...gotcha. i emailed customer service and asked them to cancel the order. and if they somehow get shipped, i will keep the package sealed and return it asap. thanks for all the info. and NY state law sucks big time. but i cancelled the order so its all good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
NY has its own AWB. It allows for ownership of hicaps if they were manufactured prior to the 9/94 ban date. Its that simple. If you ever get stopped with them though, I believe how its going is that the burden of proof that these non date-marked prebans are in fact prebans and not post-AWB sunset non-marked mags, is on you.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NY has its own AWB. It allows for ownership of hicaps if they were manufactured prior to the 9/94 ban date. Its that simple. If you ever get stopped with them though, I believe how its going is that the burden of proof that these non date-marked prebans are in fact prebans and not post-AWB sunset non-marked mags, is on you.

GOtta love a complete reversal on the American legal system
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I understand the preban / postban thing, and I understand that magazines in NY have to be made before 1994...BUT

NOWHERE on the TAPCO site does it say that these magazines are "new production" or "postban" or "made after 1994." it DOES say that they can not ship to CA, NJ, HI etc. but nothing about NY...the site only has that italic section that explains the federal assault weapon ban has sunset and markings can be disregarded and that all local laws are still in effect, which still does not refer to the magazines being preban or postban at all.

AND I talked to TAPCO and they said it was legal...so...

if they send me POSTBAN magazines that are supposed to be PREBAN and legal in NY, it would not be my fault. I ordered these according to their website.

it would be like someone ordering a BB gun online, and the store accidentally sending you a full auto MAC-10...so...

because i was unaware of the magazines being post ban, i would not be "knowingly in possession of them", and if they reach my house, and I send it back immdeiately without opening the package, i can not get into trouble.

am i correct on this matter? i believe so.

IF they are illegal i will ofcourse send them back...so i shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE from Tapco:

"My Operations Manager did some research & we did confirm that
these mags are illegal in New York. We are in the process of updating our website to reflect this. I received your last e-mail after the order
shipped yesterday afternoon. It is in transit to you right now via USPO
Priority Mail Service. Please refuse the package & when received we will
issue a full refund to your credit card. In addition, I am putting a $20
store credit on your account for your trouble. I apologize for any
inconvenience. Thanks & have a great day.

Tara McElroy
Customer Service Supervisor

well they have good customer service.
thanks for the help everyone. -dave
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
UPDATE from Tapco:

these mags are illegal in New York. We are in the process of updating our website to reflect this. I received your last e-mail after the order

Tara McElroy

Kick ass!  I love Tapco!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE from Tapco:

Tara McElroy

Kick ass!  I love Tapco!

Big plus 1.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
You should have kept your order.
No one is gonna know bud.
How many people have been arrested over mags?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah i agree...nobody would ever have found out...but who knows...tapco keeps records im sure...and im paranoid...and i just got my handgun permit after a long and grueling process and i don't wanna eff that up with a felony charge. i definetly dont wanna be made an example by the state of NY either...so im glad i returned them and i ordered a few pre ban 30 rounders with the green followers and all. so it all worked out. thanks for the info tho everyone. -dave
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If they didn't use delivery confirmation, there will be no proof you ever got the package.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a invitation for disaster to me.

I have some used "pre-ban" mags I will send to you in exchange for the new D&H ones.  Five are FN, one Sanchez, a couple of Okay's and an Adventureline if I recall.  All are USGI, and the 5 FN's have been teflon coated in black from Black Ice Coatings.  All have been updated to green followers too.  10 total I think.  Just have the mags from Tapco delivered to me instead of you and I'll pack mine up and mail them to you.

I can e-mail a pic of all of them if you're interested.  I use this same screen name at ebay and you can check my feedback there at this link.  I've got a +1 here so far.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
UPDATE from Tapco:

Tara McElroy

It sucks that you can't keep the mags.

It is however sweet that Tapco understands their mistake and corrected it, plus an added $20.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Hypothetical situation here.  Say you have two brand-spanking-new 30 round magazines.  One made in 1986.  The other in 2005.  If there are no markings of any kind on either magazine, how can the "state" tell if said magazines are "pre-ban" legal or contraband illegal?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#22]
discussion of illegal activities. suggestions on how to break the law will get you booted from here
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top