Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2005 4:20:47 AM EDT
Don't know if this was posted, I could not find any thing in the search...

I was just looking at the Beta Co web site and They announced two new models.
I kinda like the Mini14 model. If I owned one I wouldn't mind trying it out.
but that M14 model... holy cow... 10.5 pounds loaded! wow, slap a bi-pod on the thing and put it in a bunker as a defensive weapon...

ETA the Link to the Site..... Beta Co

Mini 14 Model...

and M1A/M14 model

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
OMG, the M14/M1A model will be heavy!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OMG, the M14/M1A model will be heavy!!

Sure would but with a Bi-pod.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The M14 Beta magazine, while obviously heavy, appears to make more sense than a Beta mag for a 5.56 weapons platform.  For several reasons:

The 7.62x51/308 platform is ideally suited for putting a large volume of heavy metal on target at further ranges.  When comparing the FPE of the 5.56 against the 7.62 @ 500yds- the 7.62 really shines.  So here's some short points I've observed-

Why I don't own a 7.62 weapons platform-  Too damn heavy.

Why I don't own a Beta C for my 5.56 weapons platform-  For the cost, I can get a bunch of USGI 30s which I know will work, I can lose one or two & still have way more than 100rds on hand.  Further, it means adding weight to a weapon I prefer to remain light in weight.

Why I find the M14 Beta C intriguing-  If I were to get what I already considered a heavy 7.62 rifle, why not bulk it up some more w/ a bipod and a 100rd magazine?  It's a weapon I don't picture humping for prolonged distances, it's a suppressive response weapon.  Go prone on the bipod and let the heavy metal rain.

Note, the above is purely IMHO.

It is worth mentioning that since the cost of 5, 20rd M14 mags will run +/- $150-180, the gap between those 5 against a single 100rd Beta could somewhat be shortened. That of course depends on the MSRP & actual cost of the M14 Beta  (This takes into consideration a comparison to USGI AR mags.  22 USGI @ $11/ea vs. a single 100rd Beta. 660rds vs. 100 w/ the Beta)

Why I may consider getting a semi auto 308 weapons platform... The 100 rd Beta!

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top