Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:24:52 AM EDT
From what little I can find on the HK M16 mag, it seems good.

Considering buying one for a hefty $50.

Does anyone have any knowledge on thses mags and how good they are. (or where I can buy one cheaper)?

Worth the buy? I know HK make fine equipment and I would like one of these mags, but would like to hear y'alls opinion on them....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
www.impactguns.com/store/209472.html

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/hk_m4magazine.jpg

A weapon is only as reliable as its magazine. Designed by HK to provide an uncompromising reliable feeding source for existing M16 type systems and SA80, the HK High Reliability Magazine has been combat proven by various U.S. Special Operations and foreign military units worldwide. Its superiority has been evidenced throughout extensive testing in arctic, desert, jungle, and maritime environments. It features a well-executed design, select materials, special anti-friction surface finish, advanced spring material, attention to production tolerances, and a heat-treated steel magazine housing and follower. For use in extreme environments HK now offers a special Maritime coating which easily surpasses the US MIL-STD-810 E salt fog test. During this test, the HK High Reliability Magazines were exposed to a 100 hour salt fog and then stored three days at ambient temperature. After this test procedure each magazine was fully loaded with rounds and fired twice with no problems experienced. In U.S. military testing, the HK magazine improved feeding reliability of the system by 30-50% overall.
Alternate HK Number: 233614

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
With new USGI mags going for $12, I think I will just stay with the american units.

But hey, it's your money so feel free to buy all the swamp Beach front property you want.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
read that they are good and havent read anything negative about them
hey for $50 they have to be the best mags out there right
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was very impressed with the quality and some of our boys (SOCOM Types)are using 'em in Afghanistan with good results.

I want to switch to them but not for 50 bucks a pop
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I had six of 'em....and I sold 'em.

They are longer and much heavier than USGI 30's
And at twice the price of a USGI 30 with a MagPul follower and Wolff mag spring installed, I dont think they make much sense at all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Does anyone have any knowledge on thses mags and how good they are. (or where I can buy one cheaper)?

Worth the buy? I know HK make fine equipment and I would like one of these mags, but would like to hear y'alls opinion on them....

I have 5 now and have had no problems whatsoever! Some people complain that they are too costly, heavy, long... but IMO like the old adage goes..."you get what you pay for" rings true in this case. I would spend the money to try ONE out and see if you like it, and if you don't email me and I will buy it from you. Also resale is pretty sure right now for those, so I wouldn't worry about losing any $ on it if you don't care for it.  ***As a side note, the reason I say that I like the quality of these is that I purchased one test mag from calssportingaromory.com a few months ago, and have since put 1060 rounds through my Bush. M4, again 1060 (of Wolf ammo no less!) without cleaning in between range sessions with only one malf.( failure to go into battery). If that doesn't speak volumes for the mag, gun, and ammo combo than I don't know what will!! Just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have 5 now and have had no problems whatsoever! Some people complain that they are too costly, heavy, long... but IMO like the old adage goes..."you get what you pay for" rings true in this case.

I agree that they work very well, but so do $15 D&H Industries 30rounders. Add a Magpul follower, an extra power spring and you have an $25 mag that will work as well as any HK mag. And it will also be lighter.

Use the extra $ to buy more mags, and some quality ammo.
It doesnt make much sense to shoot crap ammo out of a $50 mag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I agree that they work very well, but so do $15 D&H Industries 30rounders. Add a Magpul follower, an extra power spring and you have an $25 mag that will work as well as any HK mag. And it will also be lighter.

I agree with you to a certain point, but steel is historically more durable than aluminum. Furthermore the long history of the mag being one of the weak links in the AR system, isn't based solely on followers, and springs(although they were part of the problem), but the fact the aluminum feed lips tend to split earlier in their life than steel counterparts.  And as far as firing "crap ammo" out of a $50 mag goes, some people care for CHEAP practice ammo, and some piss there money away on expensive stuff, but again IMO more trigger time equates to more weapon familiarity.  And did you not see that I keep a gun log and posted how many rounds I fired of "crap ammo" out of my gun with 1 malfunction.   As far as the HK mag being heave, they most certainly are, but it doesn't really matter unless you are a grunt humping 12 or more mags around.  does it? Again this is not meant to offend these are just my personal mag and ammo opinions based on my experience.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The floorplates get orange fuzz on them quickly if you don't keep an eye on them.  Otherwise, they're excellent.  

I will qualify that with "they're excellent" to have a couple of but really, like everyone else has said, they do the same thing $12 USGI mags do.

FWIW,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used a lot of mags from GI to Thermolds and HK's are the very best. I liked them so much I bought 5. They are durable in the extreem no more cracked feedlips. GI mags are great but basically their made to be a throw away item. They wear out with hard use. The HK mags will last a lot longer being steel vs alluminum. Mine are so smooth there is no comparision with standard GI mags. Just try one you will be hooked.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have 5 now and have had no problems whatsoever! Some people complain that they are too costly, heavy, long... but IMO like the old adage goes..."you get what you pay for" rings true in this case.

The problem is the HK mag will work long after the GI mag is garbage. I have been through my share of GI mags I am sure others here have too.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Very high quality mags, but they dont do anything a GI wont do cheaper with a SAW red spring and a magpul follower.

AND, GI mags are lighter and they dont rust.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The problem is the HK mag will work long after the GI mag is garbage. I have been through my share of GI mags I am sure others here have too.
Pat

Hard to say that the HK mags will work "long after the GI mag is garbage" since the HK's have only been around for a short while. GI mags can easily be rebuilt. Good luck finding replacement springs  for the HK's.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Very high quality mags, but they dont do anything a GI wont do cheaper with a SAW red spring and a magpul follower.

If your aren't carrying 12 mags, which I seriously doubt everyone who complains about their weight is a Marine, SEAL, etc...., what difference does their weight make? and as for the mags rusting, if you let a piece of your equipment rust then that is your fault, not the mags.  Isn't your rifle made primarily from....steel.  If you are worried about rust either clean your stuff or get the mags coated in something comparable to Black-T or another quality finish.  I know that the HK mags are supposed to be finished in a great finish, but mine is wearing off and I don't doubt that if I neglect them they will rust.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

so are USGI mags

you might be able to find em for ~$45 in the EE

no, i do not think that its worth the buy--for the same price, i could have4 USGI mags w/ magpul upgrades, and they would kick the HK's a**

but its your money....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your aren't carrying 12 mags, which I seriously doubt everyone who complains about their weight is a Marine, SEAL, etc...., what difference does their weight make? and as for the mags rusting, if you let a piece of your equipment rust then that is your fault, not the mags.  Isn't your rifle made primarily from....steel.  If you are worried about rust either clean your stuff or get the mags coated in something comparable to Black-T or another quality finish.  I know that the HK mags are supposed to be finished in a great finish, but mine is wearing off and I don't doubt that if I neglect them they will rust.

Soooo....heavier and 3x the price are a good thing so I can get the ultimate in reliable magazines, even though I dont need to worry about the weight, because Im never going to have them in a full load out, yet....

nevermind, that makes zero sense.

With your logic, theres no need for ANY sort of rust preventive finish, because thats a user problem.  Obviously, you've got that squared away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been using one HK mag that someone else bought and loaned to me.  They are the proverbial CAT'S ASS!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Soooo....heavier and 3x the price are a good thing so I can get the ultimate in reliable magazines, even though I dont need to worry about the weight, because Im never going to have them in a full load out, yet....

With your logic, theres no need for ANY sort of rust preventive finish, because thats a user problem.  Obviously, you've got that squared away.

The only drawback of the HK mag IS the price. On the other hand if you have the money why not get the best? If you buy a Corvette because you think it can do what a Ferrari can, you are half right. They are similar, but the quality of a Ferrari far surpasses that of the Corvette!  And is 4oz-5oz really that much? Almost 4lbs with 12 mags.  I personally am not that much of a girlscout to care about 4lbs!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sorry I meant this-

The only drawback of the HK mag IS the price. On the other hand if you have the money why not get the best? If you buy a Corvette because you think it can do what a Ferrari can, you are half right. They are similar, but the quality of a Ferrari far surpasses that of the Corvette!  And is 4oz-5oz really that much? Almost 4lbs with 12 mags.  I personally am not that much of a girlscout to care about 4lbs!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What are these and whats so special about them(I know they are springs for any SA out there) and where do I get them
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Hard to say that the HK mags will work "long after the GI mag is garbage" since the HK's have only been around for a short while. GI mags can easily be rebuilt. Good luck finding replacement springs for the HK's.

END QUOTE

Well alluminum simply is not as durable as steel. I have yet to wear out the mag body on a steel mag. I have wore out GI mags. Their not bad but they were built to be disposable.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Summarizing this thread:

Tastes great.

Less Filling.

GI lighter, and very reliable.

HK steel, more durable.

Tools should fit mission.

Both good?

Rick

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
my money will be spent here

+1

At nearly 1/5th the cost I'm not worried about durability!  I bought used GI surplus that I have put thousands of additional rounds through with no problems yet.  I think for internet commandos like me standard GI is fine.  

I have an AUG and no, I do not enjoy spending $50 per mag.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

At nearly 1/5th the cost I'm not worried about durability!  I bought used GI surplus that I have put thousands of additional rounds through with no problems yet.  I think for internet commandos like me standard GI is fine.  

I splurged on extra mags via that tapco deal myself...

Haven't we already had a couple of "downrange" reports from folks that weren't all that thrilled with the Hk mags?  Combat_Diver comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I picked five up for $189 at the last gun show. These will be my "go to war" mags in case of a SHTF crisis. The USGI mags I have with Magpul followers work very well but I thought I would get the H&K ones......Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
They work fine for me but, my biggest beef is no bolt hold open. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I love them, and as we get them in my whole unit here is switching over. The only complaint is the slightly longer length.

I have heard reports of them vomiting up all teh rounds when dropped, but have one I have probably dropped loaded on the pavement 20 tmes with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
They work fine for me but, my biggest beef is no bolt hold open.

All of my HK Mags hold the bolt open after the last round.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No problem with used GI M16 mags.  They function well.  A friend of mine has an HK G3, and he has problems looking for new ones.  New HK G3 mags in the Philippines cost at least $100.00 (if they are available at all).  That's why I made the wise decision of sticking with the M14 and M16 platforms.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top