Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:08:11 PM EDT
I just left the thread discussing the availability of higher-capacity 7.62X39 AR mags.  One of the last posts suggested that DPMS had some available, though they were expensive.  I went looking at the DPMS web site and couldn't find any mention of this sort of mag.  Did I miss something or have they discontinued them?  I'm building a Model 1 kit in 7.62X39 to use for Tactical 3-Gun and would like to get ahold of several mags holding more that just 10 rnds.  The 10 rounders seem to be available from several sources.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Part number is MA-30AK
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suggest doing a search in the EE.  THen I would post a WTB in the EE.  I did that when I got my Model 1 upper, and bought a bunch of DPMS GTECH mags.  ALso bought some USA 40 rounders, too.  THey all work good.  Even bought a couple of ChiCom drums for the 7.62x39 with the AR mag body.  Only tired one, but it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good info!!!

Old SF
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys know if the frankenmags lock the bolt back on an empty mag?  Or another words, do they have followers from AK mags or  AR?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I had my friend who is a FFL order some from DPMS a few weeks ago. DPMS doesn't have them listed in the catalog. But had some in stock. A few days later he called DPMS backand they told him that they are out because they are being shipped with new rifes. They told him that they expected to have more to ship soon. (FFL holders get a discount with DPMS)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
v188,
I meant to ask you earlier: What you think of your Model 1 AR in 7.62X39?  How is it for fit & finish, accuracy, reliability, etc?  I've been taken with the 7.62X39 round for quite some time...loaded right, its adequately accurate, packs a good punch out to maybe 150m and is certainly cheap to feed!!!  And, to me, it just seems a natural for the AR platform.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot my newly assembled 7.62x39 upper this weekend with 20 round franken mags and the bolt did not lock back when the mags were empty. Don't know if they are supposed to but mine didn't.

Forgot to add, mine is a Model 1 sales barrel mounted to a Delton flat top receiver. I used it on my Bushmaster lower and it ran like a champ. It choked something fierce and locked up bad on some 10 year old Iraqi AK ammo. I put some Winchester white box through it and it ran like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Tangochaser, where did you get 20 round frankens?   I'm assuming the ones DPMS sells are 30 by their length.  

Anyone else have experience with last round bho on frankenmags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me get this straight...Are the mags from DPMS 'frankenmags' or are they an original-manufacture design?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]

are they an original-manufacture design?

There is no real standard factory design. Most mags are made different from each manufacturer. No real standard like a  GI mag for the M16/AR system.
My 7.62 Model one does not cycle the carrier enough to lock it back. The 5 round Colt mag will lock the bolt by hand but not when firing. I have never had a cycling problem except from crap mags but it just misses on getting back enough to lock the bolt. The COLT or DPMS might maybe someone will post that has those brands. Guess if I was to compete with it I would change on a loaded chamber if they allowed it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks Tangochaser, where did you get 20 round frankens? I'm assuming the ones DPMS sells are 30 by their length.

All mine are USA franken mags I collected over the last 5 years. I don't like the 30 rounders as they really hang low. The 20 rounders are about the same length as a 5.56 30 mag, so they balance well.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top