Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:39:27 AM EDT
So what do they do and why should I make sure my mags have them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
They improve on the green followers attributes with better stability and easier motion inside the mag.

They keep the bullets from nose diving even better than the green followers.

Whether you have them or not is up to you, I don't -- yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

Magpul enhanced self leveling follower has a 4 way anti-tilt design and Teflon additive.

They eliminate the tilting of the original black and improved green followers which causes feeding problems.

If you don't have any feeding problems with your mags you probably don't need them.

But if you have occational problems like me it helps and even better if used with Wolff extra power mag springs.

I have them in about 90% of my mags, I should be done with my upgrade in several more months.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
They are worth getting. I just got my first set of 10 followers and 10 ranger plates. I'll eventually get the followers for ALL my mags and prolly plates for half of them
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
All my IPSC rifle mags have them installed.  They do work.  When others on our squad had mag issues I swapped out there gi greens w/ tand magapuls and there feeding problems went away. I am thinking that a new magspring could of solved the problem as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the only downfall to them is that you lose 2 rounds out of your mag.  Just get a couple more mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the only downfall to them is that you lose 2 rounds out of your mag.  Just get a couple more mags.

That is only the the case with the ranger and lumpy base pads.
The followers I gained a extra round.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I did not have that problem at all.  My USGI's (with and without Ranger Plates) with Magpul Followers all fit 30 fine, and insert with the bolt closed.

From one Hokie to another, you won't be disapointed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#8]
They are GREAT and I plan on getting them for all my magazines.  Once you install them you will be amazed at how  much better they work over the green followers.  They did reduce my capacity by one or two rounds in several magazines but I'm not worried about it.  All my mags are USGI.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have installed them in 12 of my D&H teflon mags. They required significant dremel work to slide smoothly (2+ minutes each, in 4 different spots). Once modified and installed, though, they are very stable and slick.

I am disappointed that there is still enough tilt at the rear to allow missed cartridge pick-ups when very dirty.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They required significant dremel work to slide smoothly (2+ minutes each, in 4 different spots).

...thought they were drop in fit on mags I've seen.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have installed them in 12 of my D&H teflon mags. They required significant dremel work to slide smoothly (2+ minutes each, in 4 different spots). Once modified and installed, though, they are very stable and slick.

I had the same experience with D&H mags, Okay's and some old Center and Sanchez mags were true drop in.  Just took a minute or so with a round rasp to make 4 small reliefs in the magpuls for the D&H mags (and royal ordnance mags as well).  BTW, dremel is a poor tool for working on plastic (high speed = melting plastic)

ETA:  Look here for some pics I took of the issue with D&H mags and the follower modification for them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am disappointed that there is still enough tilt at the rear to allow missed cartridge pick-ups when very dirty.

I just installed some of the magpuls on some D&H mags from TAPCO dated 6 05 and they fit in with zero problems.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive put the magpul followers in all my mags and have more to do tonight.
Everyone of them regardless of make Okay,Sanchez,LaBelle,FN all were drop in and go

VTHOKIESHOOTER
If you want to just try some out, if you order 2 sets of 3 you pay $13.90 and free shipping
www.bowerstactical.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?pid=5783&cart_id=7508069.14097&ppi=PID
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I put 5 of them in D&H mags, and one in a Colt LEO marked one.  No problems at all, smoother than a green follower and still held 30.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought that they used to be available in different colors?  Now all I'm seeing on the market is coyote.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I just installed some of the magpuls on some D&H mags from TAPCO dated 6 05 and they fit in with zero problems.  

+1

Another added benefit is ease of assembly/disassembly b/c you don't have to fork around to get the follower out.....YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought that they used to be available in different colors?  Now all I'm seeing on the market is coyote.

Prototypes were red.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prototypes were red.

I thought they were more of a Manly PINKish color

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you don't have any feeding problems with your mags you probably don't need them.

Ditto.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  I've yet to have a problem with green followers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
anybody know if they will fit in Orlite mags or "National Magazine" mags. I used to have some orlite mags about 15 years ago and loved them but I don't remember if they were mil-spec - about all I remember about them is that they are plastic and Isreali. I was told that the National Magazine mags are mil-spec. I've also heard good things about the 30rds mags from tapco.  I already have 39 of the magpul followers and now am in the market for 30 mags to go with them.  Any recomendations, or ideas?
Thanks
Charles
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I had the tight/sticking problem with the follower and a DH mag I ordered from Magpul.  I emailed Rich at Magpul and he was very responsive and fixed the problem.  He said sometimes you can get a mag that is at the lower end of the spec causing a tight fit with the follower.

BTW, I also got the trigger gaurd that magpul makes.  HIGHLY recommended, feels better than the gapper and looks cool.  That scraping gap drove me crazy, I can't believe they designed it like that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
anybody know if they will fit in Orlite mags or "National Magazine" mags. I used to have some orlite mags about 15 years ago and loved them but I don't remember if they were mil-spec - about all I remember about them is that they are plastic and Isreali. I was told that the National Magazine mags are mil-spec. I've also heard good things about the 30rds mags from tapco.  I already have 39 of the magpul followers and now am in the market for 30 mags to go with them.  Any recomendations, or ideas?
Thanks
Charles

No they won't fit the Orlites without modification. IMO, Orlites are nuthing but range quality mags at best, get yourself some of the new LaBelle or D&H teflon coated mags.

Older USGI mags are fine also, (Okay, Center Ind., etc..)

Mike

added - btw, your National Mags being mil-spec comments are BS, they ain't!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I didn't say that National Magazine was mil-spec. The people who run AmmunitionStore.Com list the 30rd mags as Mil-Spec aluminum AR15 mags. I emailed them to verify that the mags were mil-spec and they emailed me back and told me that National Magazines claims that they are mil-spec. I thought that they were probably on par with other crappy mags from companies like USA magazines.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I have them in all 10 of my Mags D&H Black teflon.

Personally i would not be without them they feed and load so much easier well worth the $2ish  , all of my mags hold 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Any more issues with these?  

I just ordered some Black Teflon D&H mags with these followers before I saw this post.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Any more issues with these?  

I just ordered some Black Teflon D&H mags with these followers before I saw this post.

I got 5 D&H mags last week.  I got 5 coytoe brown Magpul followers.  It took me 10 minutes to install them while watching the baseball game last night.  They slide perfectly throughout their motion and did not require a dremel.

YMMV....
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top