Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 1:55:59 PM EDT
I've got a Colt 20rd mag with the shiny follower and every time I use it (three times so far) it locks the bolt open with two or three rounds left in it.  I only have this and one other twenty rounder and I've got a match this weekend.  Will stretching the spring help this, or do I need to order another one and fork over the dough for overnight shipping?  TIA
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you only have 2 it looks like you need to order about 10 more.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
10 more?!?  I'm only using the 20's for competition, so how's 5 sound?  Also, what about the spring?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
We here at AR15 like mags Call it an addiction. One to go along with our rifle and ammo addictions. Welcome to BRD
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The follower holds the bolt open, not the back of the round so your problem may be the bolt catch itself. Is it oiled? If the small spring has gone bad then recoil may be causing the bolt stop to jump up. If the spring is bad you would get the bolt closing on an empty chamber, because a weak mag spring can't feed the rounds fast enough.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
But it only does it with the one mag.  Locks back with a couple rounds still in the box.  I'll check the little spring.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Check to see if the follower is nose diving. It could be dirt or a dent in mag body. I had one mag that locked open with one round left in it and it was the follower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
This one has the shiny alloy follower in it (Colt mag).  Will a Magpul follower work in a 20rd.?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top