Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 5:36:28 PM EDT
will it hurt to lube the inside of your mags with a dry lubercant such as graphite powder?
catfish
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It isn't necessary to lube the inside of mags.  If you want you could wipe a LIGHT coat of CLP on the spring only.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Some men I used to work with were using a dry lube powder over in Iraq in their M16 and M9 magazines with good results.  Not sure what type, but I would assume it was graphite based.

ETA a comment more relevant to the question asked.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
i would not since all it would do is attract dirt
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No need.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
will it hurt to lube the inside of your mags with a dry lubercant such as graphite powder?
catfish

Yes, it will cause damage. No need for lube (inlcuding the spring) other than the factory dry-film.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used this product for years in all my pistol and rifle mags with excellent results. My primary reason for use is that it makes keeping mags clean very easy by not allowing oil, dirt and powder fowling to stick and build-up in them. Pulling a terry cloth rag through my mags after extended use is all that is needed to remove all debris before applying another light spray coat and reassembly.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7618
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
We have no choice at our USPSA range but to lube our mags.  Most use graphite power.  Our range is very very dusty and when that crap gets in there it causes lots of problems.  People will disagree with me even though I've seen someone not lube their mags on 2 consecutive stages and have unreliable feeding and then start lubing them and have no problems after that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
lubercating?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
lubercating?

Cut him a huss...he's from Texas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lubercating?

Hahahahahaha!

Hey... wait...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
lubercating?

Hahahahahaha!

Hey... wait...

Plus, with a name like catfish0311, he's got to be a Marine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
my beta c-mag came w/graphite lube is it not a good idea to use it?? if so how often as i don't have the manual
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I would guess that if whoever made it included the graphite, it was for a reason.

Like i said above, some Marines I used to serve with were using grapite powder with good results in Iraq in order to keep their mags functioning.  I can't think of any possible damage graphite powder would do to an aluminum or synthetic (such as the Beta) magazine.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top