Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:37:39 PM EDT
I just got my first AR, and since I live in NJ, I bought from a seller on the equipment exchange list of this forum a few 15-round magazines.

While overall they look good and functional, it bothered me that there is a 1/16" gap between the mag fllor and the rear of the mag body. This is due to a loose fit of the floor inside the mag body, which allows the floor to pivot around the retaining pin, and open up at the rear. See picture below, with the gap visible on the mag to the left, and to the right the partially pulled floor inserted in the much larger mag body:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/DMala/ARMagFloorFix_1.jpg

I contacted the seller who replied that this is normal and occurs also in Bushmaster mags. Whatever it is, it seems to me that it should have been easy to design a better fit of the mag floor, but rather than arguing I came up with a simple fix.

I just inserted a small screw at the top of the rear side of the mag fllor. This screw can be adjusted to achieve the correct width of the mag floor, which avoids its pivoting rearwards. See photo below with the modified mag floor, the small screw I used, and a properly fixed magazine.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/DMala/ARMagFloorFix_2.jpg

Note that I used a spring-loaded punch to mark the place where I drilled a pilot hole for the screw.

While doing this it is a good opportunity to remove the small plastic and aluminum shavings that I found in the mag, before they get into the action.....

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice job! Tagola!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice job! Tagola!

Nice Farking A!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I was told by the seller that this modification will not work in the magazines equipped with the Magpul follower, because the screw would limit its movement downwards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Did I say this was COOL???
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top