Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:15:33 PM EDT
Not to be dumb fellas, but I just ran across a bunch of Colt NIB "5 rd." mags from the nasty assault weapons ban days.

Can you "convert" these back to 20 rounders at all? They gots a little black button on the floor plate of the mag. ? Grind off button and replace spring/follower with std. 20 rounder?

Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are the 20 round magazine sized 5 rounders, they have a metal u shaped spacer block in them. That keeps the magazine follower from going deeper than holding 5 cartridges. The follower and the spring are the same as a 20 round magazine would have. All you need to do is drill out the pop-rivet, remove the floorplate, remove the spacer/block, and re-install the floorplate. Don't get too vigorous with the drill when removing the rivet, as you could remotely damage the floorplate latch which the rivet is attached to.

Also, perhaps you could sell those mags for an equal replacement from some AR-hunter type.

Picture of what the spacer looks like:  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]
KING-C, Bro!  GRACIAS!

I will either:

1. Go easy with my Dremel on that pop-rivet,

-or-

2. seell/swap for soem 20rders with some AR-15 hunter!

Many thanx!

---Keep on Blammin!---
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio

I'd be interested in a couple of 5 rounders for hunting.

I don't have any mags to swap.  

If you decide to break them down and convert to 20 rounders I'd be interested in a couple of the spring limiters.  

Tom
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ohio

I'd be interested in a couple of 5 rounders for hunting.

I don't have any mags to swap.  

If you decide to break them down and convert to 20 rounders I'd be interested in a couple of the spring limiters.  

Tom

i have two of them some where, if you want them, they are yours.., give me a day or two to find them OK ? i'll IM you when i find them.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top