Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2005 9:09:07 PM EDT
My order of HK High Price Reliability mags came in this afternoon and I just got finished loading a couple up.  They seem to be the standard, solid, "no compromise" construction HK has built their reputation on, and the follower beats the hell out of what I was issued 15 years ago (not sure how much, if any, the followers on USGI mags have changed since then).

The only downsides I can come up with are the finish, which is shinier than I'd like, and the tolerances on the floorplate are so tight that I'm not sure I can get gutted 550 cord in there to make pull loops with.  Extremely minor complaints (if you can call them that) considering the overall construction and the fact that I no longer need true tactical functions.

If any problems arise I'll post them but I'm expecting performance as-advertised.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
i enjoy the "high reliability" of SA80 mags myself, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I am perfectly fine with the high reliability of of D&H teflon mags. I am also perfectly fine w/ the fact they are lighter, hold up better and feed just as well as the H&K's. I am also fine with the fact that I can buy them for between $12 and $15 brand new vs. the H&K's $40-$50.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i wouldn't mind one or two of them, what is a cheap rate / place to get them?

i think USGI will be my main mag for sure though, my friends dad found one of mine i left in a grass field, asked if it was a clip to somthing....then hurled it as far as he could, and it hit a car.
its still good, i was surprised.
i figured i'd have to bend the lips a bit or somthing, but it was fine.
good enough for me.

but i may try the HK ones, maybe only buy one?
how easy are they to take apart? flip a button and floorplate pops open?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am perfectly fine with the high reliability of of D&H teflon mags. I am also perfectly fine w/ the fact they are lighter, hold up better and feed just as well as the H&K's. I am also fine with the fact that I can buy them for between $12 and $15 brand new vs. the H&K's $40-$50.

I won't knock anyone's choice in magazines, but I doubt that any mag will "hold up better" than these HK's.  Likewise, testing has shown that standard USGI mags simply don't "feed just as well as the H&K's".

If I had a need for 10+ magazines, I would have gone with regular teflon-coated USGI's.  I don't project a need beyond the 4 I bought, so I was willing to pay a premium to get the best magazines currently available.

I've spent more than my fair share of time using standard-issue 30 rounders, and I know that they are perfectly fine 90% of the time.  I can also tell you that the HK's are built much better than standard-issue (again, from experience).  At this point in my life I don't perform IADs daily & I can afford to spend some extra bucks on a few mags, so that's what I did.

i wouldn't mind one or two of them, what is a cheap rate / place to get them?

The best price I could find was $44, but I saw them priced as high as $60.  A Yahoo! search brings up a bunch of places that sell them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone heard about the later production runs having quality control issues?  It seems I've heard something about this being passed around.  I will be getting some of these soon and I am very curious.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone heard about the later production runs having quality control issues?  It seems I've heard something about this being passed around.  I will be getting some of these soon and I am very curious.

Evidently the first run of HK mags were very impressive and some of the high-up .gov crews bought a shitload for alot of money.  These mags, however, had problems, unlike the prototypes.  So HK came out with the new model.  The maritime finish is standard as well as a rubber bumper that runs down the spine of the mag - this should hit the floor first if the mag is dropped (there were some problems with the HK steel mags exploding when dropped).

The newest HK mags are the heat, but not really better than a good USGI mag with an enhanced spring and a magpul follower.  

The HKs will run about $45 a pop.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Certainly if someone want HK mags, and is willing to pay for them, I say go for it.

However, I haven't seen a 90% reliability rate with USGI mags. It's much closer to 99.99% reliability, as long as you have good springs and the mags aren't beat up or full of crud. Even my old USGI's that still have the original black followers seem to run well. If you add the excellent Magpul followers, I'd rate USGI's as "as good as any available". I'm sure HK mags would have problems if they were 30 years old and worn out with weak springs. Any mag would.

In the end, to each his own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Money better spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Which generation mag did you get?  The newer ones have a rubber buffer running the length of the mag, to aid in shock absorption if/when the mag is dropped.  Older ones didn't have this and would fly apart and end up FUBAR if dropped from too high onto concrete, or the story goes.  

I'm just curious and trying to keep mental notes on HK mags and sources.  I doubt I'd buy any significant number, as I add Wolff springs, Magpul followers and Magpul ranger plates to plain, old USGI mags and essentially end up with the same level of reliability.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I will say this.  I have had HK mags in my issue M-4 for the last 9 months over here in Afghanistan and  I wouldn't trade them for a boatload of USGI.  My HK mags have been dropped fully loaded several times, stepped on getting out of vehicles, rained on, burried in sand...and they have never failed.  

I paid for them out of pocket and I would do it again.  The best thing about the HK mags is the ease of cleaning and disassembly.  You don't end up with bent baseplates like you do on the USGI.  IN the sand you have to clean mags constantly and every time we do it, a few of the USGI mags end up bent to the point of being damaged.  

I also picked up 12 more HK mags for my upcoming trip to Iraq so that I can totally get rid of my USG mags.  

As for the frankenmags...  Yeah...  Anybody that thinks they can take a mag body from one maker, a follower from another, a spring from another, and a baseplate from another...then slap them together and have an uber reliable mag is in dire need of a piss test.  Tollerances varry and that is not conducive to reliability.

Now...if all your rifles see is the "range" and your stories start out "this one time at the range" then you can use whatever you want without a problem.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I paid for them out of pocket and I would do it again.  

I pay OOP for enough already.  Once you spring for a couple sets of kit you are liable to get a divorce.  Our organization is about to issue the HK mags, and I don't know whether to be excited or if I should keep my current mags.  I hear different things.  LaBelle's with Magpul followers have been good to me so far and I just can't bring myself to pay much for a metal box with a spring in it.  Still, I'm glad to hear your positive review.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]
So what is the diferances that make the HK mag so much better???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's really hard to explain, the best way is to compare one to a USGI.

The follower is alloy and sort of loks like the Magpul followers

The big difference is the weight, which makes the HK more solid

I got my HK mag as a gift, and I really dont think I have the need or the resources to go out and spend $50.00 for a magazine when I can get 4 USGI magazines for the same price.  But as a gift it is pricless, and it works like a magazine should
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really hard to explain, the best way is to compare one to a USGI.

The follower is alloy and sort of loks like the Magpul followers

The big difference is the weight, which makes the HK more solid

I got my HK mag as a gift, and I really dont think I have the need or the resources to go out and spend $50.00 for a magazine when I can get 4 USGI magazines for the same price.  But as a gift it is pricless, and it works like a magazine should

So basicly yer paying $13 for amag and another $37 for the name??
Once I threw the ranger plates on my D&H mags I never once thought about how they would hold up when just dropped to the ground out of the gun. Next step is the magpul followrers, but I really haven't had issues with the green ones yet so haven't been able to justify the magpul ones yet. I do have a few mags I want to replace so maybe I'll just order them up with the ranger plates and the mag pul follwers, of course then I'm looking at paying more for the mags, but still not as much as the HK mags cost. Maybe I'll get an HK mag and see what kinda shit I can put it through like I did the tacpoint
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As for the frankenmags...  Yeah...  Anybody that thinks they can take a mag body from one maker, a follower from another, a spring from another, and a baseplate from another...then slap them together and have an uber reliable mag is in dire need of a piss test.  Tollerances varry and that is not conducive to reliability.

Respecfully, I disagree.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Respecfully, I disagree.

As do I....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Respecfully, I disagree.

As do I....

Me too! I have had 100% compatibility with 70 USGI Mag bodies from LaBelle (DH), OKAY, and Adventurline when mated with Magpul Followers, Ranger Plates and Wolff Springs. Not one instance of an improper fit or functionality.

God's Speed in the "Sand Box"!

Tack
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]
my buddies dad hurled my USGI 30rd mag across about a 50-75foot gap, and it slammed into the concrete, then a car.
runs fine, looks shiesty, but still works.
i was surprised, he didn't know better, he just asked if this was a clip, then tossed it, literally like a frisbee.

one HK is all i'll need, just to try it.
because that long toss with the USGI was more abuse than i think i'll give it in a couple of years, maybe not down the road, but near future...sure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]

You don't end up with bent baseplates like you do on the USGI. You don't end up with bent baseplates like you do on the USGI.

How do you bend a baseplate taking it off? I taken them off hundreds of times and never bent one.

I would like to have one of the HK mags just because. But in 24 years of shooting ARs I have never had a mag related problem from a GI mag.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I have many USGI mags. Never usually have a problem with them either.
Just bought an HK mag!! Holy shit is this thing sweet! Im going back to buy a couple more. I like my usgi mags but this thing is light years ahead in quality and function. Very well made. Nice rubber bumper in case you drop it. Very nice finish! Ill always have more usgi mags becasue they are cheap, but I will always keep a loaded HK mag in my home defense m4. Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I figure that each of the mags I modify with a Wolff spring, Magpul follower and Ranger plate run me $27 or so.  If the HK mags get down to that price, I'd have no choice but to buy some.  I don't see them there, so I don't own any.  Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Factory direct price was $33 a mag the first time I stocked up, LE pricing.  Second go round was $44 a mag at non LE pricing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Factory direct price was $33 a mag the first time I stocked up, LE pricing.  Second go round was $44 a mag at non LE pricing.

I could see myself getting around 5 at that price, if I could find them at that price.  They would have to be the newest revision, though, no older revs.  

I could justify a $165 mag experiment.  But will the Minister of Finance????
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
i handled one of the hk mags at the gunstore the other day and have to say that i was not at all impressed with it due to the price tag.

i feel that my usgi mags with followers, magpuls and wolf springs are equivelant in reliabilty.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You don't end up with bent baseplates like you do on the USGI. You don't end up with bent baseplates like you do on the USGI.

How do you bend a baseplate taking it off? I taken them off hundreds of times and never bent one.

I would like to have one of the HK mags just because. But in 24 years of shooting ARs I have never had a mag related problem from a GI mag.

the problem that i saw when i replaced the follower on one of my usgi mags, is that when i removed the floor plate, one of the tabs that hold the floor plate in place broke off.  as you can imagine, so much for trusting that mag ( i can just imagine loading it up and then having the entire guts & ammo come flying out)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Mag body: steel construction with impressive weld tolerences instead of spot weld of the others, and are finished with what appears to be baked enamel

Spring: heavier duty, siliconed (maritime ver.) , wider.

Follower: hard chromed, glides "like on ball bearings" smooth, maritime version is coated to prevent corrosion (so have been the standard ones I have gotten lately) and will NOT tilt.

Has a rubber core bushing that runs the spine, to minimize vibration and protect against the  "I dropped my mag on the pavement" incidents. (I guess)

You can get them here------------> @ Cal's Sporting Armory  for as little as $41.80 when buying 5 or more or $44 ea.when buying less

I will post a couple of pix to illustrate the weld differences (for those who care)

This shows the weld difference between the HK and a Labelle Teflon, which I owuld consider the very best of the rest

and

would I buy all HK's?   No, I do not use an AR in my work.

But I like them...... and my Labelles and Colts as well

- Redfisher (arfcom's resident un-paid, HK mag pimp, and hyper)

ETA: Has anyone used/tried these------------->DSG High reliability Mags

They look as though they may respresent another upgraded USGI option

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top