Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2005 8:11:55 PM EDT
I have some New Pre-Ban mags stamped '92 .....  Are these still wanted in ban states?  Do they carry more value at all?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience, they are not worth more. Seems they sell for about $12-$15 ea.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
But can't ban states only have 30's if they are older then 94?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Many of the "ban states" based thier bans on the Federal AWB and thus are allowed to own Pre Ban weapons and magazines. Pre Ban magazines to our friends in Commie states would likely be worth the same amount we paid for them before the sunset. Around 25.00 depending on condition and manufacture. Maryland residents can buy new magazines from other states an bring them home...so long as they are not shipped into the sate. Read the fine print about state laws, some have restrictions of 20 rounds or 10...and I doubt the date of manufacture is of any concern to the law makers. I wouldn't count on getting rich by selling your old Parsons magazines to shooters in Ban states.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no clue . When  the ban  died  I traded  all of  my preban mags out one for one  with LE mags  to  our  bros  behind the lines .
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
People in NY and a few other places would love the opportunity to buy your 1992 vintage mags. The only thing, please don't rape them. I just ordered some new mags, so I plan on offering my vintage mags to brothers behind the lines.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I asked that a while back, consensus was the same here:

1. yes they're worth more
2. but don't charge anyone more than what a non-pre ban mag is worth

So basically, if you do 2. they're not really worth more after all.
If you charge more you're a greedy bastard taking advantage of others

I decided to just keep my prebans instead of selling them
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I just sold a bunch of 30 round pre-bans on the EE and let them go for the usual price.  It didn't really occur to me to charge more and I suspect that the guys who bought them (MA, VA, NY, CA) wouldn't have bought them if I had tried.

That is not to say that I have any particular sympathy for people who choose to live in Taxachusetts, Kalifornia or New York, but they are brothers of sorts and "any man who'd turn his back on family -- he aint no good." (Johnny Cash)

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
even during the fed ban I was getting prebans in good shape (80%+ finish) for $15 at local gun shows. usually had to dig to the bottom of the box as the crappier ones were on top and all were at the same price, but I could do it. I've never paid more than $20 for a preban USGI, even some that wwere new in wrap. I even got never issued Colt's for $20 each off the EE. they weren't in wrap but are 100%. and since I bought 8 mags total from that deal on the EE (4 labell 4 colt) the $20 each included shipping
Last gun show I went to in NY, I think Syracuse back in April, I saw a table with new looking prebans for under $20 each.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
even during the fed ban I was getting prebans in good shape (80%+ finish) for $15 at local gun shows. usually had to dig to the bottom of the box as the crappier ones were on top and all were at the same price, but I could do it. I've never paid more than $20 for a preban USGI, even some that wwere new in wrap. I even got never issued Colt's for $20 each off the EE. they weren't in wrap but are 100%. and since I bought 8 mags total from that deal on the EE (4 labell 4 colt) the $20 each included shipping
Last gun show I went to in NY, I think Syracuse back in April, I saw a table with new looking prebans for under $20 each.

during the ban I refused to pay more than preban prices for AR mags, I had 27 or so 30 rdr's with black followers, over 2/3 were never new, so I just pulled out 3 or 4 of those and used them constantly.  Now I still dont use the pre-ban mags, just sitting taking up space and 15 postban bans joined them too!

Most I ever spent on a mag during the AWB was $40-$50 each for a couple G23 mags
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the dirty little secret nobody talks about much.

Now that the FED AWB is gone, if a few (thousand? ) UNMARKED - UNDATED
mags find their way into one of the BAN States , NO ONE will ever prove they
didn't exist there before 1994 - or even earlier .

I just don't see border roadblocks to check for mags as doable  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Most I ever spent on a mag during the AWB was $40-$50 each for a couple G23 mags

Gotcha beat there -- G19 mags, new ones, for $90 each.  Bought nine of them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some for sale in the EE if anyone needs some NIW USGI magazines to prevent conflict with local laws prohibiting post 1994 “hi-caps”.  

Shameless plug.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you live in a communist state, maybe they'd be worth more; maybe. And only a couple bucks more at most. For those of us in free states, no - they ain't worth more.

Some of the local hole-in-the-wall gun shops around here seem to think the ban is still on - one imbecile is trying to sell pre-ban Colts 30s that are so worn they're practically gold color, for $30 each! On the way out the door I mumbled for him to place them sideways in his rectum...
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
They are NOT worth more. I shop around and buy the prebans at the price everyone else in free states pays for used postban mags. I just bought 20 for 200 shipped. Remember the market dictates value through supply and demand. And demand is relatively low and supply is high from all the free staters getting brand new fresh manufacture mags to replace the preban they had during the ban.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They are NOT worth more. I shop around and buy the prebans at the price everyone else in free states pays for used postban mags. I just bought 20 for 200 shipped. Remember the market dictates value through supply and demand. And demand is relatively low and supply is high from all the free staters getting brand new fresh manufacture mags to replace the preban they had during the ban.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure there are plenty of used pre-ban magazines lined up, but NIW magazines are a bit harder to find.  If I don’t sell mine, then I really have no need to replace them, which means I still have perfectly good magazines that are not wearing out sitting in their little baggies in a safe.  Eventually, quantities of “pre-ban mags” in good quality or NIW will diminish to a couple here and there where buyers end up blowing money on shipping.  

The other good reason that gun owners should keep their “pre-ban mags” to themselves is incase they ever have the need to move to one of those states, or have friends move to those states, and they may to help them out with some extra full-capacity magazines as a gift.

So therefore it is not in my benefit to exchange magazines to people in banned states for the same cost of new magazines to me, because I do lose out on a couple possibilities that having the pre-ban magazines would benefit me.  

All this looter talk about “need based” pricing is sick (looters expecting to buy pre-ban mags at the price of mags in other parts of the country, obtaining pre-ban rifles at discount prices because their state won’t let them do that with a new one.)  I do not like the bans anywhere, but I am not going to sacrifice profit to peer pressure.  

I priced my magazines at a reasonable price, but the looter talk here has caused me to correctly price my lot at $10,000 dollars.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
If you’re not in a location with legal complications, “Pre-ban” just means “old” nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
No, unless you are a scumbag Ebay'er
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
but they are brothers of sorts and "any man who'd turn his back on family -- he aint no good." (Johnny Cash)

I think you're thinking of the Springsteen song, Highway Patrolman
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but they are brothers of sorts and "any man who'd turn his back on family -- he aint no good." (Johnny Cash)

Cash also did the song, I know it is on the "Murder" album
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Here's the dirty little secret nobody talks about much.

Now that the FED AWB is gone, if a few (thousand? ) UNMARKED - UNDATED
mags find their way into one of the BAN States , NO ONE will ever prove they
didn't exist there before 1994 - or even earlier .

I just don't see border roadblocks to check for mags as doable  

There's no dirty secret.  In NY, the fact the mag is preban is an affirmative defense, meaning the state only has to prove it holds >10 rounds, it's up to you to prove it was made pre-94.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought 5 of these from WS4LIF and he sold them for a fair price and even installed new anti tilts for me, they havent arrived yet but Im sure they will be perfect to tuck away in my safe for future use cause here in NY you cant be too safe or too legal cause they will find a way to mess with you. I ll check these out and maybe be asking him for more !!!
Paul
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cash also did the song, I know it is on the "Murder" album

Springsteen didn't just "do" it, he wrote it
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
They are worth more to a person in a banned state, but you gotta find one of those suckers willing to part with his cash for them first.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top