Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 12:42:37 PM EDT
COULD A HELPFUL INDIVIDUAL/S  PLEASE EXPLAIN, IN BRIEF, HOW WERE 20/30 ROUND MAGS AFFECTED BY/DURING THE BAN. IE., COULD THEY NOT BE PRODUCED? COULD THEY NOT BE SOLD TO ANY ONE OTHER THAN MIL/LE? WHERE ARE THEY ALL COMING FROM NOW? WERE THEY ALWAYS THERE...SOMEWHERE? WHEN YOU READ THAT SOMEONE (SELLERS) RAN OUT...ARE THE REPLACEMENTS ALL NEW PRODUCTION? THANKS MUCH.......
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
First, don't post with Caps Lock on.  It's annoying and very hard to read.  Plus, it reads more like a demand than a request.

30rd/20rders were made during the ban and sold/marked military/le only plus a date.  Pre-1994 "hi-cap" mags were okay to use. Now that the ban is gone, they can make and sell them without the markings (except for a few states that have their own stupid ban).
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The magazines were in production during the ban...only they were restricted to law enforcement and government agencies, and so marked. Us lowly civilians were not allowed to have magazines of capacity greater than 10 rounds that were newly manufactured after the ban came into effect...if you already had these magazines before the ban you could keep them; also if you got a hold of magazines made before the ban you could still buy them too, (pre-ban, which kinda made the stupid law that much more pointless). Nowadays some people advertise "pre-ban" magazines; probably dealers hoarding them and just now selling them. Not enough time has elapsed for all manufacturers to catch up with demand since the ban expired...they will catch up soon, though. For now you can either go pre-ban, new production, or magazines produced during the ban which have the LE restrictive markings on them - they are all legal for civilian consumption - unless the state in which you live has enacted it's own form of the defunct ban! Also, pre-ban magazines are no longer special, so do yourself a favor and do not pay too much for them!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
    DULLH MEMBER...THANK YOU FOR YOUR VERY INFORMATIVE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. QUESTION ANSWERED!! ALSO THANK YOU FOR NOT SCOLDING ME, AS ONE WOULD A CHILD, CONCERNING MY MANNER OF TYPING. IT'S THE MESSAGE NOT THE MESSENGER, RIGHT? I AM RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS AT ALL TIMES. AGAIN THANKYOU..
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess you didn't get the MEMO...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Before the ban manufacturers of affected firearms and mags stepped up production to around the clock, hiring more workers, working 24/7.  In just a few months they cranked out enough to keep the market almost supplied for the next 10 years.

There was a gradual rise in price from $8 (average price for New In Wrapper) for USGI mags to as high as $50.  As the price of good mags increased, so did the prices of junk mags (USA, used Orlites, etc).  The good mags went first, of course, then people began to turn to the junk.

As the end of  the ban neared, and it looked like we were going to win (no renewal) the people who had been holding back mags hoping for a continued ban (and even higher prices) began to dump their mags on the market.  Prices came down.  Current prices are almost to where they would be if there had been no ban, considering inflation.  I would expect the price will settle to about $12 and stabilize.

Something else happened.  Suddenly there were followers, floorplates, springs available.  Before the ban, if a mag did not work right, it was tossed and a new one purchased.  But during the ban, mags were babied, maintained, and coddled.  Stock replacement springs and other parts were available, as well as improved versions.  The new market for spare parts would ensure that the mags that were owned would be kept in like new condition.

For other mags, such as Federal Ordnance aka PMI Mini-14 Mags, PMI went out of business.  Hopefully whoever has the tooling will gear up, there is a market waiting to be satisfied there.  Those mags will continue to rise as supplies dry up, unless another manufacturer steps in with a comparable product.

This is simple Economics 101.  It went exactly as predicted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The law of supply and demand always works, and it's a real beotch.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't get the memo either, and I type using caps at work all the time.  It looks better with our system.  Why such the hatred?  I agree the lower case looks better on here though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL CAPS IS THE SAME AS YELLING!!!

Hence the suggestion to turn off the CAPS LOCK.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top