Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:14:43 AM EDT
Just curious as to what the finish on these should look like.  They are 30 rounders and marked with date and cage code on the mag body and have D&H LE floorplates.

I received some recently and they have a very spotty and uneven finish.  The finish also appears to be very thin and some of the grooves on the sides appear to have areas where there is no black color at all.  And now the really unusual thing.  There are a lot of areas along the front and back seams where someone ran a black Sharpie in an attempt to cover up areas where again, there did not appear to be any black color.  The marker really stands out and it is on every mag.

Just want to get some feedback from others on this as I have no experience with the D&H black teflon mags.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 of the Black D&H 20 rounders and both of mine are perfect.  They seem to be holding up very well.  However I did buy mine at Know Creek MG shoot last October.  They're stamped LEOs, so market demands were not as high then.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Where did you order them from?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently got 5 20's and 25 30's.  All of them were excellent.  I got them from CMMG.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where did you order them from?

No comment.  I just want to know if this is how they are supposed to be or not.  I have seen some of the supposedly D&H manufactured DPMS and Bushmaster mags and they were extremely nice looking.  These were quite a let down in comparison.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a few from CMMG (20s) that also have what appear to be marker touch up, but it is not bad enough to bother me.  Other than that they look fine, and work 100%, overall I am happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Look like dry film coated mags that were painted black.  Rub the surface with a patch soaked in CLP, if the patch stays clean they are teflon, if not, they are fakes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a lot of gray teflons with a white/gray sort of crud left on them, myself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I got 4 D&H black teflon 30rd mag 2 were touch up with black marker on the seams but nothing like yours.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Look like dry film coated mags that were painted black.  Rub the surface with a patch soaked in CLP, if the patch stays clean they are teflon, if not, they are fakes.

That was my first impression.  I called D&H and they explained they get lots of complaints about the finish quality of their black teflon mags.  I couldn't get a straight answer about who was applying the black magic marker, but if others have it, I would assume D&H is trying to cover up any finish irregularities before they ship any mags.  The funny thing is, all of the gray teflon Bushmaster and black teflon DPMS mags I have found locally were really nicely finished.  And those are supposedly made by D&H.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top