Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:24:24 AM EDT
I have a few used 20 round magazines with the original alloy followers.  All show finish wear, but one is starting to develop a relatively small divot where the edge of the last round is stripped off of it.  Since this follower is down to the bare alloy I was wondering if I should refinish it.  Anodizing would be nice, but since I'd rather not have it wear away the inside of the mag I was thinking of getting it plated and just doing the rest of them at the same time.  I am considering nickel or chrome, and possibly having them bead blasted on the top to produce a matte finish on the area that would show with the bolt locked back on an empty mag.  There is a place that does chrome plating near my parents' home and I am going to see if they would do it cheap.  Do alloys need to be nickeled before chroming?  I know there are different grades or types of aluminum so does anyone know which one I am dealing with?  Also, is the original finish on the Colt alloy followers anodizing or something else?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
John Masen has repro followers, I am going through the same situation as you.  I haven't decided yet.

www.johnmasen.com/ar15/ar15magazines.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of mine have this little divot but I am not aware of it being any type of problem.  I don't think there is any finish on alloy followers from the factory so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.  I don't think these followers can wear out.  I think you have a non-problem but who really knows??  Let us know what you do and how it works.  If you want to get rid of any of these followers I will gladly take them off your hands.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses.  I am aware that it is really not a big deal and plan to hang onto this follower rather than replace it.  I bought it locally so I can probably swap it out for a better one if need be.  Being in a ban state I thought plating might make the followers last a lot longer in case their availability becomes limited in the future.  I will probably just order a few extras when I stock up on springs to be safe.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top