Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 8:19:08 PM EDT
I have (15)new Parsons mags that I put CLP on about 5 months ago.The dry moly coating seems softened and rubs off more easily.Is there any way to remove the oilyness of the CLP without removing all the moly? I thought I would wash them inside and out,with soapy water and perhaps a gentle tooth brush.I want neutralize the CLP and get rid of the shinyness without removing too much dry moly film.Any ideas on how I can correct my stupid mistake?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say use dishwashing detergent and water, and scrub them gently.  If much comes off, then you could apply some Perma Slik to them.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
OOPS I did that, but to 1 mag only
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The spray on gun cleaner stuff. I think Shooter's choice make that.

Or, if you wan a cheeper version, try non chlorinated, environmentally safe, Brake Cleaner
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know much about that perma silk stuff...never thought I'd be in this situation.Is perma silk as durable as the original dry moly finish? How do I apply it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thing...I figured aerosol spray solvents like Birchwood casey or tetra would blast the moly right off with the CLP residue?   I'm feeling very nervous right now...looking at the mags on my bedroom floor...very,very sad tonight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You have done irreparable damage to your mags.

Please send them to me for disposal.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not use solvents or petroleum-based cleaners because they would be more likely to remove the moly finish.  The best you can do now is to use a mild detergent like dishwashing detergent.  Perma Slik is not quite as durable as the original finish, but it should "bond" to what is left of the original moly.  That's the best you can do right now, as far as I know.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not worry about it....

clean your mags with some hot soapy water, and move on...

They will work just fine
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the great advice. Hmmmmm...I thought "Repub18"would chastise me. I thought for sure he would demoralize me!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have (15)new Parsons mags that I put CLP on about 5 months ago.The dry moly coating seems softened and rubs off more easily.Is there any way to remove the oilyness of the CLP without removing all the moly? I thought I would wash them inside and out,with soapy water and perhaps a gentle tooth brush.I want neutralize the CLP and get rid of the shinyness without removing too much dry moly film.Any ideas on how I can correct my stupid mistake?

take them apart and put them in the dish washer for 2 cycles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Get Real.  Just wipe them dry with a rag.  They are just magazines, and the finish wears off with use anyways.  That's what its there for.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Right.  My apologies TO ALL if that came across a little more tactless than I intended.  It was a long weekend at work.  h.gif

But, my point still stands.  I've wiped many mags off with CLP to clean them in the field, garrison, and at home.  CLP doesn't destroy them.  The finish wears off with use, and unfortunately the mags don't stay new forever.  And, if there is some CLP residue left after you wipe them off, it will also wear off with a little use.  That said, I would make sure the inside of the mags are free of ANY lube.  Especially if you store your mags loaded with ammo.

I think to run magazines through a dishwasher is ridiculous.  Not to mention that the high heat will certainly speed up any wear to the anodized finish if that's what your concern is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I cleaned my magazines religiously with CLP before becoming enlightened on ARFCOM.  I know now to refinish my mags and leave them the hell alone.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#15]

I cleaned my magazines religiously with CLP before becoming enlightened on ARFCOM. I know now to refinish my mags and leave them the hell alone.

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't even bother refinishing. I used brake cleaner to strip some old mags that I bought and its shiny anodized aluminum now. It's too expensive to buy a can of Perma Slik ($23 shipped) only to have it wear out.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top