BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 12:14:03 PM EDT
Anyone done it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Since i have a few dozen green followers to spare, and some Wolff 20rnd mag springs, which I bought from Tommy at GPSS only to discover they wont work with alloy followers. I'm going to try to trim the GF to work.  by leaving the back leg of the follower alone, trimming the front leg to .54" and trimming the center post to .65" I was able to find the right balance of the mag accepting 20 rounds, but not 21.

Will test fire tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you want to put a green follower in a Mag that has never had a problem. the green follower was designed to address a problem with the 30 round mag. 20 rd mags are about as foolproof and reliable as it gets...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why would you want to put a green follower in a Mag that has never had a problem.

the existing springs are so old/worn that they no longer operate the bolt catch.  I bought Wolff XP replacement springs, which were advertised for 20 Rnd mags. but the atttachment point at the toop of the spring is incorrect for alloy followers.

So I'm attempting to get the 20 round mags to work reliably with existing materials I have on hand.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've already retrofitted two 30rd green followers (DPMS) into USGI 20rd mags that were brand new from CMMG but failed to keep the bolt catch up when empty!

The things to do:
trim the middle post and the leg under the "bone" but keep the rear leg as-is (the part that pushes against the bolt catch).

Trim the two legs/posts to match the rear post, and you can take away a bit more from the front leg. Radius all the top edges to prevent "jams" in the mag. Someone here posted that they used an emry board to file a 1/16" radius on the top sharp edges. I did that and you can pretty much have the follower at a 45* or steeper angle and it'd slap back up without any problems.

I liked it so much that I decided to order more 20rd USGI mags and green followers to do the conversion. For some reason, the black plastic followers in my 20rd mags did not work "right" and I tried everything.

The DPMS 30rd green followers also seem a bit "under-spec'd" in that they're a looser fit in the mag but this hasn't caused any feeding problems.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know that wolff springs wouldn't work with alloy followers.  Good info to know!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to mention: with the black plastic followers in my 20rd mags, if I tilted them enough they wouldn't come back up again.

You must radius the top edges of the green followers (all the top edges in the front and rear) just a little using an emry board. This will allow the mag to slap back up regardless of the tilt.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top