Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 9:45:41 AM EDT
I just got a bunch of SA80 mags in unfired condition, should I replace the steel followers with green followers?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Are these grey Royal Ordinance mags or black Imperial Defense Services mags?

I've got both.  

The Royal Ordinance mags are pretty good as is.  Their follower design is the same as a green follower and their spring is very thick.  You might gain something by upgrading the follower... but probably not alot.  Their biggest issue is fitting properly into the mag well.

The Imperial Defense Services mags need a new follower and their springs are weak.  On the plus side, if you upgrade these mags, they are some of the best out there.  I like them better than my USGI mags, although they are heavier.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I went ahead and replaced them, but I've got a lot of orage followers thanks to Computerguy...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=221353
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got a bunch of SA80 mags in unfired condition, should I replace the steel followers with green followers?

I have a bunch of SA80 mags, but none came w/ steel followers.

I did change out a few of the original followers w/ green ones for testing purposes.  No malfunctions either original or green.

Both sets of followers seemed to "drag" on the inside of the mag body.  I gave it the ole wooden ruler trick. I can't remember how many strokes; maybe 30-50.  Smoooooth as glass after that.

FB

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They are Royal Ordinance Mags, thanks for the info. I think I will leave them as is.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't get my base plates off!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Are they plastic or metal?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Floorplates are metal and can be removed with a flat tip screwdriver...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If I'm not mistaken, the mags you have are the grey parked ones with the dark blue/black anti-tilt followers, right?

I replaced the followers in my grey-parked England mags with green followers from ComputerGuy because, while the dark blue followers are the same shape as the green ones, they're softer and look to me like they'd bind more easily.

Now I have to get some of those Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No. Leave them the way they are and just go shoot. Ive never seen ones with the metal followers but the USGI 20's with metal followers are the most reliable mags ever.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but the USGI 20's with metal followers are the most reliable mags ever.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top