Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 9:35:45 AM EDT
Sorry, no pics.

Got, with my new Bushy, exactly one 30rd magazine. Now, as anybody here could tell you, that's not enough. Unfortunately, I'm a cheapass, so all I bought in addition was 2 30-rders with terrible finish and green followers.

So I go to Home Depot for a can of flat black krylon. I end up with Rust-Oleum.

So I disassemble one, and hang it up in my garage, and give it a coat of paint. Check on it the next morning, beautiful. You can even still see the "LEO or military only" stampings. And the finish matches my rifle almost perfectly, unlike the gray mag that came with it.

Unfortunately, my other mag won't let the follower out, so I have to fiddle with it before I can refinish it.

But I certainly can recommend rust-oleum flat black for repainting magazines.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting ready to try Krylon ultra flat in olive drab on an older magazine. I'm wondering if the thickness of Krylon will allow smooth insertion into the magwell. Have you tried to insert your freshly painted mag yet? How did it go? I chose Krylon over Rustoleum because it looks alot flatter and is actually olive drab as opposed to what was available in Rustoleum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Try this if the link still works

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=82469

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm getting ready to try Krylon ultra flat in olive drab on an older magazine. I'm wondering if the thickness of Krylon will allow smooth insertion into the magwell. Have you tried to insert your freshly painted mag yet? How did it go? I chose Krylon over Rustoleum because it looks alot flatter and is actually olive drab as opposed to what was available in Rustoleum.

Rustoleum goes in fine, so long as you let it cure overnight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I did these brits with whatever cheap paint I got at the store.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys go thru alot of trouble painting mags. Get a can of Krylon, push some newspaper in where the follower is and spray a couple of thin coats. Once its dry remove the newspaper and enjoy.
No problems inserting in the mag well. Iv'e done at least 6 mags this way and they hold up pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried PermaSlik and wasn't real pleased.  It is slick, but it rubs off.  I'm going with Krylon next time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys go thru alot of trouble painting mags. Get a can of Krylon, push some newspaper in where the follower is and spray a couple of thin coats. Once its dry remove the newspaper and enjoy.
No problems inserting in the mag well. Iv'e done at least 6 mags this way and they hold up pretty well.

That is what I did.  Light spritz and no probs with the mag sticking at all.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Perma-Slik is $16/can and the shipping makes that cost a lot higher than a can of Krylon.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top