Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 6:03:37 AM EDT
Will 30rd springs work in 20rd straight mags? Are they physically compatible?

I'd imagine there would be a reduction in capacity in the 20rd mag, but there wouldn't be a concern about spring fatigue since you have those extra coils in there, keeping a lot of tension in the follower.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if you trim them.  Why not just buy new Wolff +10% 20 round springs when your stock 20 rounds springs wear?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I only shoot single loads at the range because of the stupid state law.

I can get 30rd Mil-Spec springs cheaper than the Wolff springs. I'm a believer in Wolff's products but the mag springs are too pricey for what I need them to do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I only shoot single loads at the range because of the stupid state law...

Might as well get a bolt rifle..

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The top of the 30 rd spring where it attaches to the 20 rd follower will have to be modified ( reshaped ) to fit. Also the length will require cutting.
Works, but not worth the trouble. Buy the correct 20 springs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The top of the 30 rd spring where it attaches to the 20 rd follower will have to be modified ( reshaped ) to fit. Also the length will require cutting.
Works, but not worth the trouble. Buy the correct 20 springs.

the top of the Wolff 20 round spring will have to be modified to work with alloy followers found in USGI 20rnd magazines.

Or you can switch to a plastic follower.

Nobody makes the correct replacement spring for alloy follower 20 rnd mags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My 20rd straight mags were made in 2003 and came with black plastic followers.

I fit in green 30rd followers from DPMS without any problems. I had to trim the legs a little and ended up with only 19 rd capacity vs the original 20 (no big deal since I can only shoot single loads at DNR ranges in MI).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
AR15fan Quote:
Nobody makes the correct replacement spring for alloy follower 20 rnd mags

Common item at TX gun shows. $2.50 each.
Be careful of all knowing statements.

www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=AA

You may also note that they sell replacement 20 aluminum followers for USGI mags which are often quoted as unavailable.

www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1509&Category_Code=AA
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nobody makes the correct replacement spring for alloy follower 20 rnd mags

Could be maybe, as they say even a broken clock is right twice every 24hrs but I've replaced about 35 so far in old ass 20's w/metal followers and Wolff +10% have worked EVERY time.  Maybe Wolff F's up that much huh?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
gotm4,
I have replaced many springs in the 20's with modified 30 springs and they all work. I guess I don't get your point?
BTW, all my mags work all the time and not a one has a Wolff spring. Just another of the crutches that the equipment junkies here are fond of adding to their safe queen AR's. Woff makes a good product, just not often really necessary.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
gotm4,
I have replaced many springs in the 20's with modified 30 springs and they all work. I guess I don't get your point?
BTW, all my mags work all the time and not a one has a Wolff spring. Just another of the crutches that the equipment junkies here are fond of adding to their safe queen AR's. Woff makes a good product, just not often really necessary.

Ummmm...... I've put roughly 55K rounds thru my ARs at my expense since 1987 when I built my first AR.  I've also put roughly 15K through Uncle Sams XM4s and M-16A1s and M16A2s at their expense so we're not talking 'safe queens', maybe you mean Armory queens but then you'd still be wrong.  Ever see what the USMC at Quantico does to Marine proof a weapon?

You said nobody makes a correct replacment for a 20 rounder w/metal followers.  Wolffs 20 round XP springs work just fine.  Unless you've had problems with Wolff XP 20 round springs I don't see how they are NOT correct.  Or am I missing something?  I've replaced 35 all 35 work 100% so unless you have data showing otherwise your assertion is gratuitous.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You said nobody makes a correct replacment for a 20 rounder w/metal followers.  Wolffs 20 round XP springs work just fine.  

No, I said that.  Tman posted a link showing I was mistaken.  I have however purchased the Wolff 20 round replcement spring. the top of the spring, where it connects to the follower, is a rounded loop, rather than squared off like the GI spring for alloy followers.

Wolff really should market at least 2 versions of their 20-round spring. one specifically for the black plastic commercial followers, and another for the old USGI mags with alloy followers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You said nobody makes a correct replacment for a 20 rounder w/metal followers.  Wolffs 20 round XP springs work just fine.  

No, I said that.  Tman posted a link showing I was mistaken. I have however purchased the Wolff 20 round replcement spring. the top of the spring, where it connects to the follower, is a rounded loop, rather than squared off like the GI spring for alloy followers.

Wolff really should market at least 2 versions of their 20-round spring. one specifically for the black plastic commercial followers, and another for the old USGI mags with alloy followers.

He quoted you incorrectly, my bad, makes for confusion in my aging eyes!  I've only replaced the 20 round springs with stock metal followers using the Wolff XP springs.  My Colt 20s with plastic followers haven't worn out yet so I haven't realized the springs are different for those.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top