Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 1:44:35 PM EDT
How old is this thing, it states "colt ar-15" on the floor plate, I am guessing late 60s.

I found it in a drawer at work ( I  forcefully work at shop office for 596th Maint. Co. in Darmstadt Germany)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a Colt, it isn't steel.  It's aluminum body w/ aluminum alloy follower.

Also- there is a steel spring retainer which is riveted to the front,  this spring should snap into a slot on the floor plate. (I mention that as there may be some rust which would lead one to believe it's steel...)

Are you sure it's steel?

Sly
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I will look  again once I get home, it prob is aluminum.

I still would like info about those types of mags, any help is coo.

[Looks like my tap for my lower is FINALLY here, only 4 weeks after it was shipped][I hope that it is my tap]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those too. It's a great mag. The follower and springs move so smooth, I would like to get more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I was given one, it works ok, but my DR200 seems to like 30 round mags more.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's Troy's Mag FAQ.

Troy's Mag FAQ

Enjoy.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The Colt 20 rounders are the only mags I have that are reliable. I got 5 new Labelle 30rd. mags and they don't feed right at all no matter how many round are in them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I just purchased two of these used and unfortunately I think one of them is going to need a new spring.  Both need to be refinished.  Otherwise they look better than most of the mags I've compared them to.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I looked at my 20 rounder and was that is was prob an early AF or USA mag but on the side opp of the welds, there is a " c" near the bottom of it and the ends of the "c" have a loop connecting them, I might have to add a pic. What kind of mag did I find?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I looked at my 20 rounder and was that is was prob an early AF or USA mag but on the side opp of the welds, there is a " c" near the bottom of it and the ends of the "c" have a loop connecting them, I might have to add a pic. What kind of mag did I find?

Pic would be best, I'm outta ideas.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont have a digi camera, I need one cause I still use 35mm for all important pics. Will post pic asap. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Isn't that the "UI" logo for Universal Industries, Colt's sub-contractor?  All of my Colt mags have that logo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If I look at the mag from the side, it looks like the c I describer earlier. IF I stand it up its looks like the I and the U.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If I look at the mag from the side, it looks like the c I describer earlier. IF I stand it up its looks like the I and the U.

Sorry, yeah I get what you saying.  "Technically"  When you look at it on its side, it should like a "H" inside a "C" for "Colt Hartford".  (At least that's what the legend is)

It's a U.I. body and if it has a Colt Floor plate, it passes as a "Colt magazine".  Obviously contracted by Colt from UI.  Should be an excellent mag.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top