Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 4:10:57 PM EDT
From listening to you guys about all the moly dry film coatings, different finishes, and teflon I am wondering if cleaning the mag exterior has any effect.  Everytime I buy a USGI 30 or 20 rounder I clean like hell with a rag and CLP, and everytime the rag gets black fast.  Should I just leave mag exteriors alone or can they be cleaned?  Many thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never worried about cleaning my mags, inside or out.  I'll wipe dirt and mud off the outside but that's it.  I may tear them down and clean the insides if they're giving me problems.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont clean them at all

and they still work
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure they can be cleaned.

No lubricant, or solvent should go on, in, or around a magazine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I sprits mine with Seltzer!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i dont clean them at all

and they still work

+1 thousands of rounds thru mine and they have never been cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From listening to you guys about all the moly dry film coatings, different finishes, and teflon I am wondering if cleaning the mag exterior has any effect.  Everytime I buy a USGI 30 or 20 rounder I clean like hell with a rag and CLP, and everytime the rag gets black fast.  Should I just leave mag exteriors alone or can they be cleaned?  Many thanks.

that is a stupid thing to do, you have just worn off the finish in 5 seconds then it would have taken in 2 years.  The reason for the rag getting black is the moly dry film finish coming off.

Moral of story- dont clean your mags unless they get dirt or mud in them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Echo comments on NOT using CLP, oils, Ssolvents, etc.
When cleaning is needed, dissassemble, clean with soap/water, rinse & dry with clean rags.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, so I guess I have to refinish them now with the Perma Silk G everyone's talking about.  You live you learn.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Echo comments on NOT using CLP, oils, Ssolvents, etc.
When cleaning is needed, dissassemble, clean with soap/water, rinse & dry with clean rags.

Hotgun

I spayed some CLP on my mag spring and it got on the back of the follower. I was at the range and everytime the last was round was fired my bolt carrier failed to stay open. Also, the follower on the mag is a little worn on the back. I have new green followers coming from CDNN and I won't put CLP on a mag again.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top