Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 1:26:38 PM EDT
I know all about the grren vs. black followers, but have seen several mentions of (newer?) orange followers. Whats the scoop?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I got some awhile back from a board member. Just like the Green anti-tilts, only orange.

Keeps my mags from getting mixed up with those of others shooters here.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them, all of my new mags will have the orange followers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I love them, got 100 of the for $30 delivered from computer guy here on the EE
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot all about the orange followers, must buy some soon for all the above reasons!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive had some for quite a while and agree,they are great!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that everyone is going to orange followers, I guess I'll have to find another way to mark my mags at the next big shoot.  I guess a Sharpie still works.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I replaced all the followers in my mags with the orange ones.  I feel they are easier to see through the ejection port.  My mags are "different" from everyone elses, so i can ID them.

I replaced all the old followers in my Steel British mags, which ARE NOT THE SAME AS the green followers.  The followers in the british mags are longer, and made of a cheaper plastic.  How do I know you might ask?  Easy.  SOME of my followers broke while shooting, and MOST broke as I was removing them (to replace with the orange.)

I highly recommed the orange followers.  Hell, 30 bucks for 100 of them is one HELL OF A DEAL.  Also, if you have the steel british mags... yank those old followers and put something better in.

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want somthing different - look at the red follower by Magpul.

I think that their self leveling follower is the best on the market (the coyote brown is the standard production.  I think the step up in quallity to the green that the same leap of the green to the old standard black.

do a search on magpul and you will find all the info that you need.

I ordered 12 followers and their new modular grip (pre production) on like tues and was in my mail box on friday

check it out.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the difference other than color between the orange and the standard military green followers?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the difference other than color between the orange and the standard military green followers?

Nothing that I have found yet.

Using both.

Makes my mags easier to distinguish in a crowd. Orange shows up more in the empty weapon too with the bolt locked back.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the good words guys. Glad you all like my orange followers.

To clear up any futher questions about green vs orange, my orange followers are identical to USGI green followers, in every way except the color.

I still have plenty of them left at the 100 per $30 delivered price.

Thanks to all who've ordered!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#12]
i beleave that the original reason for the orange is for night ops.  at night when you change mags the orange is easier to distingush than the green.  that way if your reaching for a mag just look at the follower.  if you see orange its empty, (the green just doesn't show up as well) .  if its not its full.  thats what magman told me.  

Remman
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i beleave that the original reason for the orange is for night ops.  at night when you change mags the orange is easier to distingush than the green.  that way if your reaching for a mag just look at the follower.  if you see orange its empty, (the green just doesn't show up as well) .  if its not its full.  thats what magman told me.  

Remman

Wouldn't you be able to tell if a magazine is empty by the weight???

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked him the same thing.  he said and i agree, when you are under a high stress situation and the adrenaline is pumping you wont be thinking wieght.  under a normal range situation it wont matter.  the orange is just one more thing that is there to help you under high stress.  YMMV

Remman
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on the Orange at night theory. it's just a color formulation in the plastic prior to pouring it in the mold, it's just a different color. nothing TACTICAL about it. you want tactics... here's one. Full mags in the pouch bottom side up witth 550 cord or Mag pull, empty mags go in pouch top side up so you can feel the feed lip's/Follower and know that is an empty mag. Now that's a Tactic...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I never use 550 cord or magpuls, but I do do the full mag with baseplate up, empty with follower up thing.  You can tell by weight which mags are full and which arent, but by that time you have one empty out and about while you still have a unloaded weapon in a firefight, not a good place to be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
That's why you put your empties feed lips up in your pouch... so you don't pull out an empty mag in the first place. The 550 cord or magpuls aid in tactile feel  when feeling for a loaded mag. The last thing you gonna want to do is take your eyes of the threat to LOOK at your follower in an empty weapon. Like you would see it in the dark any how.

Oh, that's right, you would if it were orange.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on the Orange at night theory. it's just a color formulation in the plastic prior to pouring it in the mold, it's just a different color. nothing TACTICAL about it. you want tactics... here's one. Full mags in the pouch bottom side up witth 550 cord or Mag pull, empty mags go in pouch top side up so you can feel the feed lip's/Follower and know that is an empty mag. Now that's a Tactic...

Harv24
    Do you Rifle Hunt or Bow Hunt?  If you do, one thing you notice that in dusk, or dark conditions that the orange sticks out like a sore thumb.  I know that you need some light to see.    Where I hunt i can see my cousin 850~ yards away in his stand across the field when we rifle hunt dressed in bright orange.  when we are out bow hunting and in camo I cant see him.  Im not trying to say that these orange followers are the endall best way to tell weither your mags are empty or not, but its just enother thing that could help in a high stress situation.  Ive never been in a shoot out.  have you?  It is great to say that you put your mags in a certain way, but when some one is throwing lead at your head at 3000 fps and at 800 rpm,  who knows how your going to react.  Harv24 this is not an attack on you, i just think that every little bit helps.

Remman
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I find the orange easier to see when i look into my mags.  Do I have 6 or 11 rnds left?  I just peer inside and see if i can see the follower.  I painted my AK followers blaze orange, and it makes it easier to see if you're getting low on rounds.  Granted, the more ambient light, the further into the mag you can see.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Im still using black ones.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Harv24:

I thought empties went into my dump pouch?  'course I wasn't running a vest with a bazillion mag pockets on it at Pat's class, like you were.

Nice running into ya here!

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Shooter...How's it going man..

Remman
No Drama, it's all good, I just here stuff like that and it sounds like something ya here from a dealer at a gun show.
Deerhunting and the tactics around Mags and mag changes are not exactly apples and apples.  And though I have never been shot at, I figure 21 years in The Army has taught me a thing or two about a thing or two.  I just think people invent "Tactical Reasons" for something new as a marketing tool to sell something under the guise of enhancing your performance in a area when technique and training will always overcome technology and new wiz new stuff.
If you like them, great.

From Remman

[quote ]Where I hunt i can see my cousin 850~ yards away in his stand across the field when we rifle hunt dressed in bright orange. when we are out bow hunting and in camo I cant see him.    

but ya gotta admit, that is the best "No Shit " statement I have read in awhile
Kinda like saying "when it's raining, I'm wet, when it's not raining, I'm dry"
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top