Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:48:41 PM EDT
Hi- I am curious ...what mag manufac in all you AR fans, make 30rders that are best for the buck..so far the Labelles have worked well for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
labellas
okays
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Okays or Colts work best for me
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Definetly Okays...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Any USGI is fine except Cooper
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Okays for 5 years, and I've never had a single problem.

A few FTFs with some Adventureline mags (20s and 30s), but they were used, and I think the springs were a little weak, so I can't blame the brand.

My impression is that most arfcommers would recommend Okays and Labelles, but any USGIs are an excellent choice, perhaps beside the occasionally mentioned Cooper Industries, which have had some problems.  

Just make sure you have the green followers, if you pick up some pre-ban mags.  You can swap the black ones out very easily.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Adventure Line, Parsons, OKay, D.L.Sanchez, Labelle, DPMS (Labelle), BFI/Bushmaster (Labelle), no name (Labelle vendor or "CAGE" number on wrapper), Center, are all good mags.  I have some of each of these.  Only one I don't have is Colt, and those are made by one of the above.

Of all of the above, I really like the black and gray teflon finished Labelles the best, mainly because of the very durable finish.

Coopers, if three welds on each of front and back seam, avoid (I have not personally seen these).  If 6 welds front and back, and the body looks good otherwise, discard the spring and replace with a new spring.  There were a gazillion Coopers dumped on the market in the late 80's, and all that I tried (seven Coopers from three different vendors) had weak springs causing failure to feed for last 7-8 rounds.  If good body and all 6 welds front and back, these are salvagable.

Thermolds, some work great, some don't fit in some rifles, some don't fit in any rifles.  They can be fixed, but won't go into this now.  (I have half a dz 30's, and 2 30-45's)

And SA-80 mags from the UK, which are shaped exactly like USGI (to be "NATO" compatible), but made from steel.  These are generally very good mags and are as follows:

"England" stickered mags, floorplate says Imperial Defense.  I got the very dark blue-black ones from CMMG, and mine came with green followers and silicon-chrome springs.  They work perfectly.  The works was changed out by CMMG.

There are England marked mags in gray parkerizing that work well, I am told.  Dillon Precision has these, there are others.  

(None of this paragraph is from personal experience)  But some "England" mags and I don't know how to ID them, have the mag hole mislocated, but a little filing supposedly fixes them. (Someone with experience here chime in) Some have bad followers, poorly molded of brittle plastic.  Some have a deep blue black follower shaped like the USGI green follower, but the plastic not as good.  And some are marked "Radway Green" on the floorplate, and reportedly give problems.

Whichever "England" mags you get, at the least put in USGI green followers.

Orlite, don't waste your money.  If Israel doesn't want them, neither do you.  Range only.

MWG 90 Rounders work.

All above (except where noted) is from personal experience, and it tracks with what is in Troy's Mag FAQ tacked at the beginning of this section.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
LaBelles

The Sanchez mags I have are all slightly oversized and have to be yanked fro the mag well of many of my rifles.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They are all fine except the Cooper poopers with less than 6 welds along the spine of the magazine.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top