Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:18:00 PM EDT
Does anyone know where to get 6.8 SPC mags for the AR-15?
Now that the useless AWB has become a bad memory, I'd imagine someone will be manufacturing mags specifically for the 6.8 SPC for 10+ rounds. (I don't want to mess around with my 30 round .223 mags to convert them to 6.8 SPC) If I can find 6.8 mags I'll bypass buying a "pre-ban" .223 upper and buy a 6.8 SPC upper.
Any help is appreciated.hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've read PRI makes mags.On this forum i also read that someone in the military or in the know ,i cant remember said that the military has to send many of them back because of problems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
PRI (Precision Reflex Inc, http://www.pri-mounts.com/ ) has mags.  Give them a call to find out about availability.

-z
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Zak,

You DA MAN! Thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
You will also find PRI mags on gunbroker.com; magazines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI,

Spoke with a person in sales over at Barrett today as I was interested in the same question.  He told me that any new Barrett M648 would come with 2 30-round mags as well as any upper conversion kit.  Additional mags were $53 dollars each.  He told me that Barrett  tooled up and made 250,000 and that prices would fall within  a year.  The vertical ribs in the GI mags may or may not cause binding due to the way the 6.8 cartridge fits.  The only way to cure the issue was design the correct mag for the cartridge.  This was interesting in that I've read any GI converted mag only held 28 rounds?

In an additional note, he told me that Barrett would be making their own ammo in 6.8 due to lack of support or cooperation from Remington.  Not sure if this is true since Rem announced a 6.8 chambered LTR??

Sorry for getting off topic but just passing it on as I understood.

Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Precisioniu,

Read the 6.8SPC faq I wrote.  It's tacked in a thread in the AR15 Discussions forum.    It explains how 5.56 M16 mags will not work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...In an additional note, he told me that Barrett would be making their own ammo in 6.8 due to lack of support or cooperation from Remington.  Not sure if this is true since Rem announced a 6.8 chambered LTR??

I contacted Barrett and here's what their sales lady's email response said,

"I am not sure who this person thinks he talked to here at Barrett but it is myself and two other ladies in sales and he claims a man told him this.  Anyway, the information is false and way off base.  Sorry for the misleading info.
Thank you,
Amber Henderson
Barrett Firearms Mfg., Inc.
P.O. Box 1077
Murfreesboro, TN  37133-1077
615-896-2938

Hello,
I read a thread at ar15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=201272) that stated you were planning on manufacturing and selling your own 6.8spc ammo due to Remington's inability to serve the civilian market.  Is this true?  If so, when will this become available, what is the minimum/maximum purchase and what is the price per box or case?

Thank you,
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The information came from a Kinko's in Texas...

-z
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered four 25 rd mags from PRI this afternoon. The lady on the phone told me they should ship Tuesday, so they have the high capacity mags in stock and are shipping them to us plain old civie folk.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In an additional note, he told me that Barrett would be making their own ammo in 6.8 due to lack of support or cooperation from Remington.  Not sure if this is true since Rem announced a 6.8 chambered LTR??

A Barrett employee is also posting that Barrett is indeed making their own 6.8mm ammunition- so this info isn't totally off base:
www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005533;p=0
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Zak

Can you give us info on your PRI mags?  Fit, finish, quality of construction, etc?

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Spooky130,

Hmm.  Sure.   The mags are steel.  The material is thinner than the aluminum walls on USGI aluminum mags.  Finish is dark grey, almost black.   It holds up ok, but tends to chip/rub off at the lip area.  

The welds are "flat", not overlapping so there is more internal length.  

Here are some pictures.
[ link to larger image ]

The followes are ugly, but work in most of my mags.    I believe the design I have is already obsolete, and there are several new follower designs in the works.     I have modifed a Magpul self-leveling 5.56 follower to sort-of work in these mags.
[ link to larger image ]

[ link to larger image ]

Refinished in Aluma-Hyde II, with a modified Ranger Plate:
[ link to larger image ]

I really like the 15 round size.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Zak,

What about the quality of the PRI mags? Do they seem durable? Or does the steel seem cheap/flimsy?

Any insight into the mag's would be great. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
QuikSilver,

It's hard to answer that question without:

a. any other 6.8SPC mags for comparison (this makes it kind of a moot point),
b. destroying any of my mags in an abusive comparative test,
c. shooting it in 3Gun until the mags fail.

The mags work.  The mag bodies are solid.   The old followers are kind of flimsy, but have worked for me so far.  There are new follower designs in the works, but even in the absense of those, it looks like you can modify the Magpul self-leveling 5.56 followers in about 2 minutes with a dremel tool.    I will be getting some new followers from PRI for testing soon.

-z
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top