Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 12:17:33 AM EDT
How long can one leave a mag loaded and not have to worry about the spring going bad? I have always been under the impression that mags should be stored unloaded, but have been seeing a lot of pics with mags loaded and heard a lot of people store them this way. Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How long can one leave a mag loaded and not have to worry about the spring going bad? I have always been under the impression that mags should be stored unloaded, but have been seeing a lot of pics with mags loaded and heard a lot of people store them this way. Any info you can share would be appreciated.

You can leave them loaded forever.  Springs don't "go bad" by just being compressed.  It's repeated compression/decompression that wears out a spring.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
AGNTSA
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
repub18, Sorry for digging up old stuff, just wanted clarification on a subject that the last time I paid any attention to ( Years ago ) was to leave them empty until ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]
no just leave them loaded you will be ok, springs only wear out with use and being overcompressed
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Copy that and thanks for the clarification. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top