Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 7:48:46 AM EDT

Guy's
I've posted this on here before but with little attention paid.

Those mags that you all keep talking about on here are not SA80 mags.
SA80A1 mags are Aluminium. They have a black plastic follower of the same design as the green ones.
They also have a plastic base with a round button that has RG (Radway Green) stamped on it.
This button is used for stripping the mag.

The steel mags you all talk about, either the grey ones or the black ones are not SA80 mags.
They are not made in England, even if they do have an England sticker on them.
They are made in Singapore by Chartered Industries.
Chartered Industries make the SAR80rifle.
They are manufactured for Imperial Defense Services,a company here in the UK.
I met the guy who owns Imperial Defense a couple of weeks ago when I bought some of these mags from him. That's when I got the low-down on them. He has a roll stamping machine for putting Imperial Defense on them.
So when anyone asks whether Singapore or British, or whether Chartered Industries or Imperial Defense mags are the same, the answer is yes. Because they're made in the same factory.
Imperial defense has sold 200,000+ mags to the USA over the last few years. these are the same ones Ammoman sells. But they're not SA80 mags, no matter what anyone tells you.
One of these days, I'll post a pic of what a genuine SA80 mag looks like.

Hope this clears this all up.
BTW, HK SA80A2 mags sell for about $20-25 here in the UK

Mark
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
These are genuine SA80 magazines.

From the Surplus International, LLC website.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
then what are the Blued British mags for, they also have the England Sticker on them.  They also say Imperial Defense Services on the floorplate as well
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info
saw some of these RG mags at www.sportsmansguide.com for $35....might as well go for some usgi

no offence streetfighter; usgi are a tad cheaper, but i do not doubt the quality of GB products
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
These are genuine SA80 magazines.

www.sillc.com/magazines/SA80_used

From the Surplus International, LLC website.

I've heard that the "real" SA80" mag like the one posted above doesn't actually work very well compared to the USGI ones or those "England" sticker mags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
then what are the Blued British mags for, they also have the England Sticker on them.  They also say Imperial Defense Services on the floorplate as well

Those are made in Singapore also by Chartered Industries. They're just a different style.
I don't know if they are made for any particular weapon, maybe the SAR80, the Singapore Assault Rifle.

They are all just proprietry 5.56 Nato mags.
The England sticker, or British flag on them is just to show that they're not post-ban mags that were made in the US

The mag in DEANH's post is a genuine SA80A1 mag.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
thanks for the info
saw some of these RG mags at www.sportsmansguide.com for $35....might as well go for some usgi

no offence streetfighter; usgi are a tad cheaper, but i do not doubt the quality of GB products

RG mags are not the greatest quality, but they do work OK
I prefer USGImyself

Mark
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
cool
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
cool

yes very cool!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Then why do the followers have "England" molded on the bottom of them? Long way to Singapore to have a follower shipped for a mag made there.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
maybe thats what the english contract called for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Well whatever they are, they work great for me!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Then why do the followers have "England" molded on the bottom of them? Long way to Singapore to have a follower shipped for a mag made there.

Hootbro

Can't explain that, but when you order pay for large quantities of something, you can have anything you want put on it!

Just don't want you guy's to be misled or put under a false impression.
Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, they're great I really like mine, but they were never made either in Britain or for the SA80

Mark
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#13]
How do we get some??????????????????????/
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How do we get some??????????????????????/

www.ammoman.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
There seems to be a small difference between the blued ones and the ones painted gray.  I had several of the gray ones for my Oly AR  and they worked great, so does the USGI aluminum one I have.  I picked up one of the blued 30 rounders and it wouldn't work.  It would go in but wouldn't stay in.  Seemed like the hole for the mag catch was a little off.  Instead of returning it for another to try again, I just got an aluminum 20 rounder and picked up another gray 30 later, which also worked properly.

ETA:  It could have just been a single out of spec mag.  Since I didn't try any of the others I can't be sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There seems to be a small difference between the blued ones and the ones painted gray.  I had several of the gray ones for my Oly AR  and they worked great, so does the USGI aluminum one I have.  I picked up one of the blued 30 rounders and it wouldn't work.  It would go in but wouldn't stay in.  Seemed like the hole for the mag catch was a little off.  Instead of returning it for another to try again, I just got an aluminum 20 rounder and picked up another gray 30 later, which also worked properly.

ETA:  It could have just been a single out of spec mag.  Since I didn't try any of the others I can't be sure.

I had the same problem but realized I had put in 31 rounds instead of 30,  with the follower in the Blued ones it lets you do that but it wont insert into the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Jaq, it wasn't just one, I ordered 5 from Ohio Rapid fire. None of the five would lock in my AR's. Had to file the top of the mag hole, and then they worked.  These were the gray parked ones from Singapore.

Never had a problem with any of the gray ones from Ammoman.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 5 singapore mags and they lock perfect in my 3 Bushies 1 RRA and my wifes carbon model#4.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]

I had the same problem but realized I had put in 31 rounds instead of 30, with the follower in the Blued ones it lets you do that but it wont insert into the rifle.

That wasn't the problem in my case, the mag wasn't even loaded, I was just checking it after I bought it to make sure it fit ok, and the bolt hold open worked ok with it.

Jaq, it wasn't just one, I ordered 5 from Ohio Rapid fire. None of the five would lock in my AR's. Had to file the top of the mag hole, and then they worked. These were the gray parked ones from Singapore.

This sounds more in line with the one I got.  It was like the mag catch hole was off by a little or something.  The one I had was all black.   Somewhat glossy, looks blued.  The one's I have that work well look like they are painted a flat gray.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top