Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 2:26:54 AM EDT
One of my local gunshops have some AR's that have a light green strip around the bottom of the mag. I was just wondering if there was a purpose for this. Maybe it's easier to grab when changing? Thanks

h.gif
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
usually to keep mags from banging together in mag pouches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I put a black piece of tape around the bottom of all my mags.  MAkes them much easier to identify.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
the guy must have been out of red  tape
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Some people use 100MPH tape to tape a loop of 550 cord to the bottom of the mag to pull it out of the pouch easier.  Pre Magpulls.  I see used mags like that with or without the 550 cord at surplus stores still.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Because they don't have any Magpuls.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a note, if you're going to purchase mags and they have tape on them- request the vendor remove the tape for inspection.  I reveived one COLT 30 round with the numbered body and follower.  Thought it was a heck of a deal.  It had tape on the bottom covering the floor plate retaining ears. Went home to clean it up and sure enough, the tape is what was holding the floor plate on as the ears were missing!  Also, the tape may be covering up a nasty post 94 manufacture date. (Which granted should only be an issue for the next ten days or so)

Sly
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people color code their mags with tape to either identify the mag as belonging to them, OR to help them identify the contents of the magazine.

Say:

green stripe= loaded with range ball ammo
blue stripe= loaded with HP ammo
red stripe= black hills match ammo

you get the picture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
We used the tape to keep the mags from banging together in the mag pouches (noise discipline) + if you needed it, you had tape available in the field.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the guy must have been out of red  tape

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top