Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 5:20:44 PM EDT
I recently bought a brand new steel 40-rd mag, and I have to use some force to even lock it in place in the mag well....even harder to removed the mag!  Is there anything I can to do the mag or the mag well..( this is my last resort though) to make the fit a little better?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently bought a brand new steel 40-rd mag, and I have to use some force to even lock it in place in the mag well....even harder to removed the mag!  Is there anything I can to do the mag or the mag well..( this is my last resort though) to make the fit a little better?  Thanks

first of all that 40rd mag is a pos, but you can always file down the mag catch hole a little.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yep.  Throw it away and buy USGI 20 and 30 round mags!

Here's some USGI spec 20 round Colt mags CHEAP!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, ajust it with a hammer, lightly but just enough, till it fits.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Use the for targets or set up a cheap plinker AR, disassemble the lower and file out the mag well for use with aftermarket and swelled mags.

Of corse, the ban is sunsetting and new GI mags will be cheap if you dont live in a commie state. (but arent they all? )
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Using a vice worked for me.  Take out the spring and follower and then squeeze the mag alternately in both directions in the vice until the fit is right.  Install a better follower.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have adjusted a few by hitting them with a rubber mattle.   Takes a little bit of time to get them to work/fall free.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Some mags have a slight deformation between welds on the front and back seams and drag in the mag well.  I have fixed these by filing the seam slightly and touching up with fresh dry moly spray.

You can also take off the upper half of rifle, set it aside, and insert the problem mag.  With a .010" feeler gauge, insert the feeler around between the mag and magwell, find out where it is touching, and then figure out where to compress the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have adjusted several mags with a big C clamp.  Remove the guts of the mag.  I get the clamp so it pinches the front and back of the mag and slightly turn the screw just a hair.  Check the fit.  Adjust the clamp ect.  I have done this on a 20 rounder and a SA80 steel mag that did not fit or drop free.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top