Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 11:46:33 AM EDT
I have and use USGI right now. I saw some Orlites at the last gun show I was at. I know very little about them. How are they compared to a USGI. Spring life, feeding, rapid fire. Help me out. Thanks. eagle308us
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I like about the orlites is they do not scratch my .458 Socom ammo as I load it into the mags !
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
they work good for me, i have a couple of em
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
They have always worked great for me. I do not do FA. For the same money, buy USGI. For cheap, buy Orlites. Never ever buy any other cheap magazine. Other brands aren't cheap in the long run.

PigPen
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have too da#@ many of them.  They are not durable.  I've pooched some after as few as 5 mag dumps.

They are grit magnets.  If you use them, keep them free of lube.  Springs and followers are not the big issue.  Feed lips crack, bodies swell, mag button recess areas crack.

I brought 4 NIW Orlites to a FA shoot in Vt.  None ran well, two had cracked feed lips, one had a body crack.............all this after less than 500 rounds total.  I gave up and used USGI for the rest of the shoot.

Their shortcomings seem less readily apparent in semi-only guns, but I'll never buy another.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
there cheap; good quality;reliable feed (if kept clean)

h/w, don't keep then loaded for long periods cause the feed lips will warp and widen

ok for the range

but save some money, get USGI; besides, peace of mind on mag reliablity is priceless
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Better than USA.

Not as good as Thermold which is not as good as USGI.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ditto on Junk. Try slappin um hard when doing a reload. they will push past the mag catch and get jammed up in the mag well...... helluva time pullin it out. I'll stick with US GI. cause there's only like a Bajillion of them out there, so why waste your cash on Orlite's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont like them, I have had a few springs get weak in them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Pure junk. You wind up spending more in the long run because you will have to replace them with USGI type mags which should have been bought in the first place. I was stupid and gave Orlites three chances only to have been burned all three time. 99% of the one you will see label as "reconditioned", just means someone has thrown black spray paint over them to give a new look. Most I have seen have cracked feed lips on the rear due to the plastic wearing thin and into the fiber reinforcement. Feed lips on these are prone to spread and any orlite is a potential Jack In the Box with the ammo flying out at any moment. Drop a mag and you will see thirty rounds fly every where but down range through your rifle. makes you look like an idiot at the range. Only worse mag IMHO was the semi clear Ramline AR-15/Mini-14 mags.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Trial and error grasshoppa...everyone's gonna have a different reaction especially using diff ammo types

now a days both USGI and orlites will run you around the same in price...if the diff is a few bux, I always go with the metal over plastics
unless your trying to compensate for weight which is a minimal factor
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top