Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:31:58 AM EDT
Hey all,
Well, I'm starting to get into mag buying mode.  I had some questions though.  I was looking at buying some of the LaBelle's, but the Brit steel mags are considerably cheaper and as Troy said, are in the "first tier".  

I do have a concern though about using steel mags in an aluminum receiver though.  Is wear a consideration?  I know that the USGI's will work come hell or high water.  Can the same be said for the Brit Steel mags?

Any input?

Rich
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both and wear doesn't seem to be a problem.  I liked the steel ones at first but if you don't keep them well oiled or painted the will rust. For the few extra dollars, I'd go with the USGI.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
get usgi

although the brits' steel is reliable and tough, it will start rusting
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]

I live in southern Louisiana. Not much more humid then around here.

I have both USGI and brit mags. Quite a few times we were out shooting and it poured. Got home and all the gear was wet. Only used a dry rag to wipe everything down afterwards. Didn't oil the brit mags or anything. Not a single rust spot or anything after a year of typical use and abuse.

Get both actually. Buy a few of each kind and see what you think about them. I personally love them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Brits are good but why not buy USGI? Now if your choice was Brits or USA mags.....well then choose the Brits.

PigPen
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
usgi, no rust
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both. I like both the Brit mags and the USGI Labelle mags, but I prefer the the USGI mags. If I were..... Aw Heck just get both!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The track record with my Brits are the same as the USGI, I have never had a jam associated with my mags
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
get both,, one for range time and other.... well just get both
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Enough with the brit mags and "rust"Im sure there are people on this board who own AKs,FALs,M14s and pistols that take steel mags and have steel components wich is basically every thing.As far as steel on the aluminum lower has anyones bolt carrier worn out their upper?or fire control parts worn out a lower? or how about SIG pistols with aluminum lowers or the AR10 that takes M14 mags...lets stop with the Rust and wearing out urban legends.If you have brit mags that dont have mag catch hole problems they are 100 times more durable and reliable than GI mags and will last twice as long.You never have to worry about buldging.And if the steel components on your rifle are not rusting because Im sure we all maintain our stuff then the mags wont rust.My AK mags dont nor do my M14 mags.Good steel mags are superior and I have just green followers in mine and the new magpul followers wich I love.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...............If you have brit mags that dont have mag catch hole problems they are 100 times more durable and reliable than GI mags and will last twice as long.You never have to worry about buldging....

Obviously you've made up your mind. I 100% disagree. H&K doesn't even make such wildly ridiculous claims about their magazine, which was designed to replace the SA-80 British Mags that your touting.

As far as rust.....no, may not be a problem for the average AR-15 civvy, but a real concern if you have to "camp out" with your gear for an extended period. When it starts to rust, there will be the temptation to apply CLP....which will lead to another series of problems.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Enough with the brit mags and "rust"Im sure there are people on this board who own AKs,FALs,M14s and pistols that take steel mags and have steel components wich is basically every thing.As far as steel on the aluminum lower has anyones bolt carrier worn out their upper?or fire control parts worn out a lower? or how about SIG pistols with aluminum lowers or the AR10 that takes M14 mags...lets stop with the Rust and wearing out urban legends.If you have brit mags that dont have mag catch hole problems they are 100 times more durable and reliable than GI mags and will last twice as long.You never have to worry about buldging.And if the steel components on your rifle are not rusting because Im sure we all maintain our stuff then the mags wont rust.My AK mags dont nor do my M14 mags.Good steel mags are superior and I have just green followers in mine and the new magpul followers wich I love.

Exactly how do you keep the rust from forming on the inside of the mag in a humid enviroment.

Edit: I think it was said earlier,but, take one of each, hold at about shoulder level and drop. Let me know what happens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...............If you have brit mags that dont have mag catch hole problems they are 100 times more durable and reliable than GI mags and will last twice as long.You never have to worry about buldging....

Obviously you've made up your mind. I 100% disagree. H&K doesn't even make such wildly ridiculous claims about their magazine, which was designed to replace the SA-80 British Mags that your touting.

As far as rust.....no, may not be a problem for the average AR-15 civvy, but a real concern if you have to "camp out" with your gear for an extended period. When it starts to rust, there will be the temptation to apply CLP....which will lead to another series of problems.

Hotgun

exactly what hurt would a little CLP or oil do??
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing on the outside but if you want to always be cleaning the dirt and trash that sticks to the inside of the mag because of the oil then it wont be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
USGI because there is a weight difference when you are carrying 10 loaded mags of ammo.  For the range or plinking who cares.  

Rust?  I've treated one of my Brit mags like junk just to see how it held up.  Finish is still great and there is no rust.  I left it outside in the rain and humidity for about three weeks and it works fine.  USGI would do the same.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
USGI because there is a weight difference when you are carrying 10 loaded mags of ammo.  For the range or plinking who cares.  

Rust?  I've treated one of my Brit mags like junk just to see how it held up.  Finish is still great and there is no rust.  I left it outside in the rain and humidity for about three weeks and it works fine.  USGI would do the same.  

I think you pointed out one valid point, the weight of the mag.  Brits are probably double if not more the weight of USGI which can add up when you stack 10 loaded mags together.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had 20 of the Brit mags and have had 2 that won't lock into the mag wells(mag catch hole problems) on 11 different ARs.  Not a large sample, but still it's 10%.

I'm not buying them any more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the best!  USGI!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
weight for a loaded brit mag is only 4 ounces 1/4 lb more.I make the 100 times more reliable claim because I have used the mags hard and they hold up to dirt and sand better and yes wont buldge over time through heavy use the way some of my new when I got em 12 years ago but are a bit buldgy because they have been used alot and left loaded over long periods through the years,maybe I wont realy no with the brit mags until I have used them the same amount of time and yes I have dropped the mags on hard surfaces and other wise and  a buldgy aluminum one will spit out rounds while the steel is real rigid but smoother.Some times the feed lips on aluminum ones are rough on the inside.I dont CLP the inside of the mags and I use wol X power springs.They are superior to any GI mags I have and I have samples of them all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#19]
2 out of the 10 Ammoman brit mags i bought were out of spec and will not load LC 5.56, they will load and fire winchester .223 only.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
2 out of the 10 Ammoman brit mags i bought were out of spec and will not load LC 5.56, they will load and fire winchester .223 only.

I have found the Blued Imperial Defense Services mags to be extrememly reliable
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks all!
I got 10 USGI's on the way!  WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!
Rich
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found the Blued Imperial Defense Services mags to be extrememly reliable

the SA80 mags i have bought from Milspec on the EE are top notch awesome, drop dead reliable.  I prefer them to GI mags, as they seem more rugged.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I say get both. Other than filing two of my 6 mags for the mag catch problem, all have been 100% with the stock springs and followers that came with the mags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top