BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 11:59:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You been reading my mind or something?  Just earlier today I was wondering if I should spring for a few sets of these to try out.

Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Why load only 29 rounds? If your are loading from 10 round strippers, you would have 30. Does the MP have a problem with 30?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to add my 2 cents worth here in favor of the new Magpull brown followers.  They really are the better mouse trap.  They make the mags work like they should.  My green followers are going into the trash.
-WhiteFox
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to add my 2 cents worth here in favor of the new Magpull brown followers.  They really are the better mouse trap.  They make the mags work like they should.  My green followers are going into the trash.
-WhiteFox

I'll take your green followers.

I would not consider changing my mags to make them more difficult to load or operate in an emergency situation. If they can't accept 30 rounds (from strippers) and be loaded into a closed bolt, I'll have to pass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Instead of modifying maybe magpul will make the folower legs shorter by making new molds to crank out a shorter able to load 30 rounds and seat mag,bolt closed follower.I have 3 in my brit mags with wolf springs,they are real reliable but I too can load 30 but its imposibe to seat bolt closed.Maybe magpull will redisn it for a 3rd and final time.And that shouldnt be a problem as the follower is molded to track the inside of the mag perfectly and should work the same with shortr legs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The followers will still work 100% with MUCH more than 1/8"  taken off the legs.  And you don't need a belt-sander.  A good pair of dykes will work just fine.  My Klein blue-handle Journeyman 2000 series cut through them like butter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was the Ranger plates that only allow the 28/29 rounds not the followers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I only load 28 in the standard configuration...for the same reason...reliability

So I am IN!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would not consider changing my mags to make them more difficult to load or operate in an emergency situation. If they can't accept 30 rounds (from strippers) and be loaded into a closed bolt, I'll have to pass.

Well, as it is now, a regular GI magazine isn't going to seat very well with 30 rounds loaded and the bolt forward, you'll have to slam it in there pretty good. A Magpul with 30 rounds is pretty much the same deal. It will seat; but you have to smack it in there hard. To me it is about the same level of difficulty.

Also, it isn't the Magpul follower that is limiting the number of rounds, it is the Ranger plate. In fact, without the Magpul follower you would be hard pressed to get 30 rounds into a magazine with a Ranger plate - none of my black follower mags would load 30 with the Ranger plate installed. The Magpul follower actually let me load 30.

However, if you use the Wolff Extra Power (+10%) or the SAW Heavy-Duty (red) magazine springs with the Ranger plate and Magpul follower, you will be limited to 29 rounds as spring tension is too great. See my earlier comments on my own Magpul Magazine rebuild.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Any problem using these followers in a 20 rounder?  I know, I know.  But I'm in New Jersey.  I need to limit the capacity to 15.  Can someone try them in a 20 and let me know if it works and what the capacity is reduced to?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I got the bug to try out the "better mouse trap", and it is truly worth the $3 or so each.  Installed in a couple test magazines and they all worked flawlessly, even with 30 rounds loaded, however, as with any mags for tactical reload, 29 rounds loading would give the operator much easier mag seating.  I'm going to check it out in a Sterling 40 rounder next.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any problem using these followers in a 20 rounder?  I know, I know.  But I'm in New Jersey.  I need to limit the capacity to 15.  Can someone try them in a 20 and let me know if it works and what the capacity is reduced to?

I'll put one in a 20 unmodified tonight and let you know how many fit in the mag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Come to think about it, they won't fit due the the floor plate retainer.  How about trying it in a post-ban 10 rounder.  I am devising a way to convert the 10s to 15s with minor modifications to the mag and follower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come to think about it, they won't fit due the the floor plate retainer.  How about trying it in a post-ban 10 rounder.  I am devising a way to convert the 10s to 15s with minor modifications to the mag and follower.

Heh, yeah you're right.  I hadn't had the need to take a 20 apart in so long I forgot about that myself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you selling them, SMGlee? I went to your website and don't see Magpul on there. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I gotta ask a bizzar question, will the magpuls fit in post ban wannabe 20 rd bodies with 10 rd cap offered by Armalite/Eagle Arms?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
omega-metroid,
They should fit by looking at the design, however, you would need to sand a half moon out of each side of the follower to slide past the post-ban restricters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
What's wrong with the green followers?  They not pretty enough for some folks?  I remember folks saying the need for green followers to get reliable function was overblown.  Is the magpul overblown +2?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
The Magpul followers are designed the way the follower should have been designed to begin with.  Even with the green followers, there is a tendency to tilt.  The Magpul is simply not going to do that.  It doesn't matter which end of the follower you push on, the entire follower slides straight down the mag.

Spend the couple of dollars on a pack and you'll see what we're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered 33 of these followers after reading this.  I'll post my findings when they arrive a get a few billion rounds down range. - Gazzy!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top